Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

MooBelle

VIP Member
Frau’s I need advice. I have received my response to the ONS FOI but I’m a bit reluctant to post it because I know it will appear on Twitter straight away, with a bit of a ‘gotcha you big liar’ angle to it. I know it will be published on the ONS site in due course. Should I just whack it on here anyway?

Reactions: 17
Word is spreading...another forum where I lurk (CookdnBombd - comedy and stuff) has had a (relatively minuscule, obviously) thread on Jack where earlier in the summer there was a bit of back and forth about the criticism of her.

The upshot was, earlier in the year, most of the posters agreed she was generally somewhere between "ace" and okay, if a bit of a chaotic elevenerifer, with a few dissenters.

Just popped there again and Jack trending on Twitter has led to something of a reappraisal. They're not a hive mind, some still believe the best of her, but the tide has turned. Here are some sample quotes:
  • "Anyway, I read this slightly obsessively researched article [Molly] about whether or not Jack Monroe is a scammer and I dunno lads, I'm sort of leaning towards her being a bit of a wrong 'un."
  • "Halfway through that medium post and it seems pretty damning."
  • [not getting into the wider question of whether Jack is a scammer] "Jack's suggestion that people cancel their energy bill direct debit and set up a standing order for an amount they can afford instead is phenomenally bad advice."
  • "[semi-supportive, neutral-ish comment] seemed a bit like she was milking the desperation a bit was the talk of unscrewing lights and stuff."
  • "im absolutely not going to grind an axe (there are some horrible people who clearly constantly name search Jack Monroe on twitter to try and defame them, absolutely pathetic beasts), but also at this point I'm not convinced they [Jack] do that much good. their media appearances are appalling, and bootlicking the royal family at this time is not good. you don't need to hurl shit at them, just keep quiet!!! for fucks sake!"
  • "Fundamentally though I think there are other people capable of doing what Monroe does, doing it honestly, more efficiently and without the dysfunction and possibly even are doing already just without the minor personality cult."
The forum isn't massive, but it's long-standing and usually bang on the zeitgeist. Definitely left-leaning, not a whiff of anti-trans (quite the opposite) and generally populated by sharp-minded posters.

Hope I've not done a chaos with this, debated whether to name the forum.
Questions were being asked about what the deal with is Jack when Admiral Rear Foo-Foo's thread was linked in a fb group I'm in the other day too. Similar demographic, possibly some overlap.

If anyone from there is reading, fuck off x (that's a term of endearment here)

• Haha

Misslucky

On next in GMB is the obesity crisis/healthy eating I bet this is jacks slot about her lovely slop

• Wow
  • Haha

Amanda Lin

VIP Member
Oooh she’s on GMB in the pov jumper. Looks like she is about to speak up in favour of the Tories.

• Haha

Nurseali

VIP Member
A friend with a penchant for creating cryptics thinks my membership of tattle is a weird (?the weirdest) thing about me, but 🤷 came up with the goods, what can I say 🍑. Some light afternoon themed entertainment for those inclined 👊 enjoy! Go easily, softly, gently...
I usually hate crosswords. This one though 👌

• Haha

SpudYouHate

I know we're mid chaos but I just saw a reel on Instagram about a woman dying her clothes black; caption was THIS IS GENIUS and yet the video didn't actually show the result 🤪 most of them turned grey/a weird tie dye colour which apparently she liked but we haven't seen Jack in anything similar lol
I have a habit of dying all my clothes black, and it's true that most (unless faded black already) go either dark brown, navy or greyish. I don't mind that though. I just need a daily 'uniform' that's functional and comfortable. I did the same with our towels. Dying things can be a bit addictive!

• Haha

thisisntreal

Chatty Member
Just seen the perfect gadget for Jack and her bean rinsing in my magazine from the library!
View attachment 1579689
To be fair I 🔺 have something v similar (ironically from a Kickstarter that actually fulfilled their pledges with zero chaoses, floor-clawing and apology tours from beleaguered assistants), and it is exceptionally handy for draining cans, straining cocktails, juicing lemons, opening jars etc. Who’d‘ve thought, actually useful kitchen implements?! Not that 1000 gently, softly rusting spoons aren’t useful of course.

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
When Ben mentioned great singing I was hoping Jack was about to break into a duet with Russell Watson, a bit of faux Celine Dion to honour The Queen.
She’s probably incredulous that GMB didn’t make this happen. She overcomes crippling anxiety to share her voice with us Ben Shepherd donchaknow 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 16

SpudYouHate

Or trying to get her wikifeet rating up from 3.5 stars.
It’s the way she’s deliberately hooked the dress up 🤢
Ditto re: JA, 💓 and I agree that Jack is less 'Baby Dyke' and more 'Page 3' these days. Because she's just a facade with nothing beneath it.

• Haha

CocoCottesmore

Snagged it in the archive

For me it's not so much the pic per se it's her banal commentary on her 'chubby lil thighs' and drawing attention to her not-fanny etc. I'm embarrassed for her and I'm a grown man.

Agree with this, I thought the term 'dead name' implied a person's pre-gender transition name, but that's not relevant to Jack's name change, despite her transition (and ongoing non-binary status as I understand it). Claiming we're 'using her dead name' or 'dead-naming her' implies certain transphobic connotations that I don't think are warranted.

ETA what I'm trying to say is I consider calling it 'dead naming' possibly playing into her weaponisation of her characteristics.
Oh don't get me wrong , she is excruciatingly embarrassing. I just think mums are allowed to be people too, if that makes sense?

• Heart

Cookiecookie

VIP Member
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but in the OP it says “we don’t dead name here”. Is Jack not their name? Is Jack trans? I’m genuinely interested as I didn’t know this.

I’ve just read an article on her on Medium and thought I’d have a look in here. But I couldn’t see information about this in the wiki
Jack changed their name. For whatever reason, we do not know - there have been many different stories. It's her name though, so we don't use the old one.

As to anything else *inserts @kachoochoo 'who fucking knows' note*