Jack Monroe #39 Cat's in the bathroom with silver spoon,this is real life not Mills & Boon

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She changed her name because of "multiple sexual assaults and trauma". I was the subject of childhood sexual grooming. I was assaulted from the age of 11, and raped from the age of 12. It is horrific. I plucked up the courage to go to the police just a couple of years ago, after seeing my abuser, now in his late 80's, in the papers getting married to a man in his 20's. The horror came flooding back and all the repressed emotions resurfaced. What made things worse was finding out that he had spent his whole career as a teacher of primary school children. I won't go into too many details, that may identify me but just to say, it is unlikely he will ever leave prison to hurt another child.

If JM's allegations are true, and I have no reason to doubt them, then I would hope she gets the courage to go to the police. It is to my shame that I allowed this man to go on to abuse others. I have had to have counselling to deal with the guilt I feel for not thinking about those others that were abused after me, that went through the same, and in some cases worse, than me. I comfort myself with the fact that 60's Britain was a different place than now, and hopefully I would have acted sooner had this been going on today. JM will not be able to use such reasoning to excuse her lack of action.

Talking about sexual assaults online, changing her name, threatening to name these perpetrators and not doing so, is not dealing with the problem. Allowing them to carry on with the same behaviour is almost akin to permitting the abuse of others to carry on. She will, like me, forever live with the guilt that she could have stopped the abuser from moving on and abusing others. JM has the chance to do what I failed to do, there is so much more support today.

I could go on, but to be honest I am finding this very difficult. Someone with any sort of following, like JM, who continually references abuse, has a duty to report and see through these allegations with police. They are, like it or not, an example to others. With their fame comes a huge amount responsibility. JM seems to not realise this with her flippant way she just chuckes about allegations.

I am writing this with tears in my eyes, and a feeling as though I am about to vomit, the emotions never diminish. So sorry if this has triggered anyone, but unsure how to hide text behind warning.
That is beyond awful MancBee. I am glad that the perpetrator is in jail but of course that cannot ever heal what you went through. It must be hard to share but your words are really powerful. So much love to you.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
She changed her name because of "multiple sexual assaults and trauma". I was the subject of childhood sexual grooming. I was assaulted from the age of 11, and raped from the age of 12. It is horrific. I plucked up the courage to go to the police just a couple of years ago, after seeing my abuser, now in his late 80's, in the papers getting married to a man in his 20's. The horror came flooding back and all the repressed emotions resurfaced. What made things worse was finding out that he had spent his whole career as a teacher of primary school children. I won't go into too many details, that may identify me but just to say, it is unlikely he will ever leave prison to hurt another child.

If JM's allegations are true, and I have no reason to doubt them, then I would hope she gets the courage to go to the police. It is to my shame that I allowed this man to go on to abuse others. I have had to have counselling to deal with the guilt I feel for not thinking about those others that were abused after me, that went through the same, and in some cases worse, than me. I comfort myself with the fact that 60's Britain was a different place than now, and hopefully I would have acted sooner had this been going on today. JM will not be able to use such reasoning to excuse her lack of action.

Talking about sexual assaults online, changing her name, threatening to name these perpetrators and not doing so, is not dealing with the problem. Allowing them to carry on with the same behaviour is almost akin to permitting the abuse of others to carry on. She will, like me, forever live with the guilt that she could have stopped the abuser from moving on and abusing others. JM has the chance to do what I failed to do, there is so much more support today.

I could go on, but to be honest I am finding this very difficult. Someone with any sort of following, like JM, who continually references abuse, has a duty to report and see through these allegations with police. They are, like it or not, an example to others. With their fame comes a huge amount responsibility. JM seems to not realise this with her flippant way she just chuckes about allegations.

I am writing this with tears in my eyes, and a feeling as though I am about to vomit, the emotions never diminish. So sorry if this has triggered anyone, but unsure how to hide text behind warning.
I think you should be incredibly proud of yourself for going to the police. It is something I still haven't managed to do and I don't know if I ever will. There's just no evidence and it would rip my family apart. For now, I feel I can't bear burning my life down that I've worked so hard to build. I don't know where my abuser is now or what he's doing, but I'm pretty sure he's still alive. I have pangs of guilt that my not reporting him could result in other victims. It's a mind duck and one I don't wish upon anyone.

What you went through is awful and I know it never goes away. The best we can do is to rebuild our lives and try and live them as fully and as joyfully as possible.

Please know that you have no reason at all to feel guilty or ashamed (yep, I know so much easier said than done).

• Heart
Reactions: 59
@MancBee Thank you for your candour. You did the best you could possibly have done at the time, and you did do an exceptional thing after the fact too. You should be proud that you took the opportunity to see it through. I would do the same if I got the chance as an adult. As children, it's about surviving it at the time and that is exceptional in itself. <3

• Heart
Reactions: 35
What the duck must Louisa be thinking this morning?

I can't believe how many messages I put up on here overnight, I feel like Jack!

Seriously though, I do hope that there is some kind of repercussion, you simply cannot tell over a quarter of a million people that a bestselling author is face down in a mountain of cocaine while he's writing. She has first hand experience of libel, and as the victim too. Repeatedly "getting away with" this kind of nonsense is not helping with the ego. I actually hope he sues the absolute tit out of her, she's gone way beyond a pile on this time.
same Babe x

Louise has probably got her muted on advice from friends.

Jack needs to re-read the KHvJM judgement, she might get some pointers

Reactions: 25
@MancBee, what you did was incredible. Please be gentle with yourself today 💓 Jack has no idea of the damage she causes, all for a 5 second twitter high.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Louisa
same Babe x

Louise has probably got her muted on advice from friends.

Jack needs to re-read the KHvJM judgement, she might get some pointers
Could potentially know him. She worked for the BBC as did he. So it's probable they passed each other in the hall or met at the coffee machine. I bet she's embarrassed. I would be if my partner got on like that in the professional world.

Reactions: 13
I remember a pal of mine (with quite a large twitter following) once called out David Attenborough. I agreed with the tweets - yes, he's a natural treasure blah-di-blah but some of his political views verge - to me, anyway - on the eco-fascist side (ie. nature must be protected from humans/there are toooo many people etc). But HOO BOY did that go down terribly. THAT'S a controversial opinion Jack - not pointing out lazy stereotypes that I'm sure have already been highlighted by others way before you.
Not that my opinion matters, but I'm definitely more of the Deep Green outlook. Because humans duck things up. Deliberately.

In the meantime, turning to a human that fucks things up, I see that the allegations have gone from dodgy books (which I agree with), to not writing them (which wouldn't surprise me, after all people pay for the name not the content or buy for the content and don't care who writes them), cocaine (which wouldn't surprise me with any sleb, Nigella was forced to admit it in court, after all - thanks to the sleazebag ex), to segueing in references to predatory sexual behaviour and assault.

Her best case scenario is that people think she's a damaged victim like Rose McGowan. However, in the legal world, as she is clearly stating throughout that she knows what she's doing, chances are that a mental health/medication issue is not going to pass as a defence if anybody were to take it to court. which they undoubtedly could if they felt like it.

Just as well she doesn't own a house, really.

Reactions: 31
@MancBee and @Harrybosch (and anyone else who needs to hear it) - you should not feel guilty and as if you are at fault for your abusers (potentially) hurting more people. THEY are the ones choosing to do that, not you. It’s 100% on them, and anyone suggesting otherwise just sounds like they are victim blaming. It’s something that’s wrecked my head too so I can understand the guilt, but I think it’s important not to add any more shame to what is already (wrongfully) perceived as a shameful experience ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 52
I think you should be incredibly proud of yourself for going to the police. It is something I still haven't managed to do and I don't know if I ever will. There's just no evidence and it would rip my family apart. For now, I feel I can't bear burning my life down that I've worked so hard to build. I don't know where my abuser is now or what he's doing, but I'm pretty sure he's still alive. I have pangs of guilt that my not reporting him could result in other victims. It's a mind duck and one I don't wish upon anyone.

What you went through is awful and I know it never goes away. The best we can do is to rebuild our lives and try and live them as fully and as joyfully as possible.

Please know that you have no reason at all to feel guilty or ashamed (yep, I know so much easier said than done).
I completely understand your inability to go to the police, the repercussions are seismic. I had pushed my abuse to the back of my mind, and it only surfaced when I saw the man in the paper. Your, and my, situation is not the same as JM. We have not made allegations online to garner sympathy and increase our SM presence. She is using theses alleged assaults in a totally unacceptable way. It actually makes me physically sick.

I have been lighthearted about JM online antics in the past. But her constant reference to abuse, sexual and otherwise, and refusal to do anything about it is actually beneath contempt. If she doesn't want to do anything, that is her prerogative, but to make personal gain form it is just awful. She is disgusting.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 59
Mancbee I'm so sorry that happened to you, and I know I'll be far from the first person to tell you this but you have nothing to feel guilty for.

The blame rests solely on that awful man's shoulders, and the strength it must have taken to speak up is immense.

Please be kind to yourself

💕

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I didn’t think I could be surprised by JM, but I was very wrong. IMO she has really illustrated her slack approach to parenting.
An engaged parent would have read with her child and been aware of the books the child had read. I don’t like Walliams books, I think they are simplistic and badly written. But, they engage boys, which is difficult. As a teacher I would prefer a child to read Walliams rather than not read at all.
As other people have said, you should discuss a book with a child and present different ideas.
The “be kind” mantra coming from JM is a load of tit. She has no idea what it means, unless it’s directed at her as a get out clause. I hope she gets what she deserves.

Reactions: 41
oh oh oh.. someone called Emma is laying into her on Twitter (i can't post screenshots with my crappy phone)

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Jack makes me sick, she has a hatred of men (especially those richer than her). But is the first person to talk about sexism if there's a valid critique over someone that happens to be a woman. This isn't helping gender equality at all, quite the opposite. I worry about the world my son is growing up in.
She doesn't realise how lucky she's been to be self employed for 8 years and is totally in control of her own day and can spend 99% of it at home on social media while most people have to go to work in a job they don't like. Instead she believes the world owes her something. Her work is terrible and sloppy

Reactions: 30
Oh stop and go find something to do! Stop crying your being trolled yet troll a man who had done well for himself. We get it you work hard and no one pays you much attention, unless your being all crazy. Does it matter how he makes his money? He works hard and earned. He made a mistake and apologised. He's done more than you could ever hope to do. Just go away and find a hobby.

Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.