Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

busylass

Chatty Member
Just catching up here but Roald Dahl came to mind when Jack started getting offended - I absolutely loved his books when I was younger. It’a only since I’ve started reading them with my child that I’ve realised how much questionable content is in there. Luckily he can’t read yet so I skim over those bits 😂
I said this earlier down the thread. I grew up in the 70/80's. Childrens fiction wasn't as it is now so I grew up with Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton. As a child I was horrified that children lived in circumstances like that! I now work in social care, am a feminist and actively interested in politics. 🤷‍♀️ You can watch Love Island but it doesn't actually reflect anything about you. It's fiction and escapism.

• Heart
Reactions: 44

Switchstreetz

VIP Member
I have never rooted for David walliams before in my life but come on bro, get the claws out. Show her some sass 😂

• Haha
  • Heart

Motherwellgirl

Well, none of us on this forum own shit books by weedy little cunts who can't fucking cook
I do your honour but in my defence I bought them when I thought she was skint.

I’ve since confessed to having sex in a park and I’m willing to drink a buckfast cocktail if it means my book buying sins will be forgiven.

• Haha

MarmiteExtract

VIP Member
I’ve not had much to do with DW’s books myself, but kids’ literature having problematic characters is surely useful for teaching them messages in a subtle way. When I was little and reading all the Enid Blyton books (my god, I loved her), my mum made sure to point out the ideas, attitudes or characters that were definitely not appropriate and we talked about how general views change and develop over time. It was super educational for little me.

DW has done fantastic work with The Boy in the Dress, and as so many of you have already said, anything that gets kids reading (particularly boys) is to be applauded IMO.

Besides, people are going to be dickheads and have awful views, unfortunately. It might be a good thing to come across unsavoury ideas in fiction form first, so that you can discuss the issues at hand. I just really take issue with the idea of condemning/blacklisting books.

• Heart

Pocahontas

VIP Member
Now ... what could she possibly mean by ‘thread’?
4C56620B-4B73-4B79-A4FA-178126DA3364.jpeg

Get out of our world, Jack!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 43

chocolate choux

VIP Member
Okay so looking at her Twitter, Walliam’s books do seem questionable... but I’m also struck by the fact she seems to care more about the black woman character (a figment of a white man’s imagination) than she seemed to care about real black people during BLM 🤔

Switchstreetz

VIP Member
Don't forget she'd tell them how nervous she was and they'd all have to say "oh Jack, you're doing such a great job! Don't worry hun!"
I don't want to imagine her world where Jack Monroe turns her back on a room full of assembled kids for 5 minutes to silently cook spaghetti, then expects praise for doing so

• Haha
  • Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Seriously she says she would have no worries meeting him? Bollocks. This is little Miss Timid who is all kick men in the shins on Twitter but becomes coy and needy and giggly when meeting real actual people.
Did she seriously think she is on a mission to uncover the truth of David Walliams books? She does realise that a few million people have read them?

• Haha
  • Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Come home to roost, little birds
How naively one tweeter here says Jack would be 'devastated to know her fans are unkind to people'. Bollocks. She courts it, encourages it and takes a huge amount of glee from it.
She is not a nice person.

• Heart

ChickenPorridge

VIP Member
I got it for free or for 99p on kindle, when I started to read it I was horrified
I have to say, I made one recipe from it (spicy rice and 2 bean soup) and it was...gosh. My husband ate it politely as always, the poor sod. When I mentioned I was going to rinse the sauce from some tins of spaghetti hoops for the next night and make a carbonara from it, I think I just saw a single tear fall into his bowl (I never did make it, the first recipe was too awful, lol)

• Haha

Saint_clemmie

VIP Member
By not tagging him she isn't running the huge risk of him totally blanking her. Just like Jamie Oliver did.
Do you know what though, she’s gone pretty fucking far with this latest...(what do we even call this?) episode on twitter. At this point I think it’s pretty spineless that she’s not tagged him. Have a backbone Jack.

• Heart

Silver Linings

VIP Member
Is she bored of the kitten already?
Maybe the kitten liked the book too? I hate mentioning SB but he must have enjoyed them well enough to keep reading them. Or did he pipe up halfway through and say ‘Mama, this book is very problematic, la la la’ and then she sat and looked over his shoulder until he’d finished? Or is he in bed and she’s bored so she’s leafing through them.

Considering she’s mentioned he likes HP i’m very interested in her swerving the latest JK Rowling minefield.

(let’s not go there, chums)

edited to add, not attempting to moderate.

• Haha