Jack Monroe #380 Hunger Hurts 2: Solar Lantern Boogaloo

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She's mentioned being "diagnosed gifted and talented" () so she'll be talking about the gifted and talented programme that I think Warwick uni ran. It was the top 5% of pupils nationwide and really not that hard, my dumb ass was in it lol
Might not even be that, could well be just on her own school's Gifted and Talented register, which was often top 10% but not in all subjects e.g. you could be on the G and T register for Music but in bottom set for Maths.

Reactions: 19
I have to say I sat and passed my 11+ in the NW BUT that was a few, ahem, years ago. At the time the school was for locals, there was not this rush to buy a house in the area etc and I would say the majority of the people in my class were working class, a couple with very dodgy parents. However I understand they now have two sittings for the exam; one of locals and one for not local. The absurdity is that they have an allocation for each and so you could be local and get a higher mark than an external and they would get the place if their allocation was not full. IMO that is wrong. As for Jack I think she was probably what somebody in my school did and transferred in in the 2nd year after sitting an exam. Parental idea I think as she certainly struggled.... we also had some transfers into the 6th form and they also had issues (more to do with the style of teaching I think).

Reactions: 10
Might not even be that, could well be just on her own school's Gifted and Talented register, which was often top 10% but not in all subjects e.g. you could be on the G and T register for Music but in bottom set for Maths.
Yes, I was on my school’s G and T register. Just meant I was given more work to do from what I remember!

Reactions: 16
I agree that it was more this than anything official.

We use to have an awards night at the end of each school year, there was a prize for each subject, plus a few jokey ones.

If Jack had the same she'd be claiming to be an award winning student. It's all nonsense.

Reactions: 11
This post is perfection. So, so true and illustrates exactly what the FM & squigs miss.

Reactions: 16
Look on the persons timeline for their entire part in the convo. It’ll give you an idea what they were talking about and we might be able to piece it together from there.
Unless a wiser Frau than me actually knows
I think it was something to do with the 3p Lee thing and daubeney but I think he may have also deleted something as well as Jack as he didn’t say anything offensive from what I could see

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.