Jack Monroe #369 Lie-de-Lie!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I nominate Matt for a retrospective BAFTA…. Just for pulling her through 1 episode, they could get Jamie Oliver to present it…. Small explosion in Southend. Managed to watch 20 mins of episode 2, OMG he’s having to pull every word out of her mouth, the ‘ We can’t just make a bowl of porridge what else can we do with oats?’. Nope, cannot stand it, didn’t people suffer enough during lockdown? It’s even worse that the other remote presenter is bright, bubbly, smiley and you can see her… I bet the producers could crack nuts between their bum cheeks watching that misery unfold.

Many thanks for the info re links.
Totally agree - just finished watching that one and now on episode 3 with the passive aggressive 🍋 the whole discussion about porridge was so painful - just answer the question he asked. And the constant references to rehearsals- so all of this was done with rehearsals 😯😯 and seriously, she is wearing the same shirt for the first 3 episodes?? Is this to highlight how poor she is 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 36
How does any adult think that is an appropriate way to behave? Absolutely jaw dropping.
That is how a certain type of adult behaves. One who hasn’t been answerable to anyone and who has lived entirely without checks and balances, accountability and very little sense of responsibility for the past twelve years -basically since she stopped having a full time boss in the fire service.

Most of us as adults even without a boss or within/outside a relationship manage to hold ourselves to account, but she’s lacking that ability, hence the monster that’s been created and enabled by The Guardian and anyone and everyone else who’s erroneously given her any form of credibility.

She’s the perfect example of the adage “power without responsibility“, and unfortunately for those impacted by her, whether in her personal, ‘professional’ or online life completely lacks any semblance or form of self-control.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
I think that’s part of it, but also her absolute of lack of knowledge about and passion for food, and lack of cooking/creative ability was blatantly apparent. And that she’s awkward, uncomfortable, inept, defensive and SO INCREDIBLY RUDE.
All of this, both posts, but look, it was super strange circumstances, we all did odd things. We didn’t expect perfection, not even from people with crowd funded media training, but it really came across that it wasn’t just the viewer thinking WTAF?

No one thinks live TV is dead easy. I remember when Rylan started, he was really awkward, but he worked at it and improved and got more and more chances. He was given the chances because he was natural and engaging and related to the other people in the studio. It seemed to come cross through JM thought she was very much Matt’s equal and everyone else was on a lower tier. She really blew it.

I read one sentence from AM’s piece that said people were talking on SM
AND ELSEWHERE
and thought that was very telling. I wish we knew what and where.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
I’ve been dipping in &out of Jacks threads as is didn’t really know who she was but you have had me laughing so much, whoever put together the wiki is amazing

• Heart
Reactions: 45
This is super interesting. I haven’t watched them and don’t know if I can bring myself to, but I always just assumed that she tried her absolute best, and prepared, but was just terrible and not cut out for TV. Is the consensus that she just swanned in, thinking she was the talent and didn’t need to try particularly hard? (Thereby misunderstanding what a true skilled profession TV presenting is, of course.)
She believes that she is far more talented/intelligent/witty etc than she actually is. That I think, contributes to her inability to deliver and her reliability issues. It isn't all disorganisation, some of it comes down to her arrogance. She believes she doesn't need to prepare, that she can just rock up to something and 'wing it'. See also her 'one and done' recipe testing. She believes she is special, but her belief is very much misplaced.

• Heart
Reactions: 76
That is what a certain type of adult behaves like. One who hasn’t been answerable to anyone and who has lived entirely without checks and balances, accountability and very little sense of responsibility for the past twelve years -basically since she stopped having a full time boss in the fire service.

Most of us as adults even without a boss or within/outside a relationship manage to hold ourselves to account, but she’s lacking that ability, hence the monster that’s been created and enabled by The Guardian and anyone and everyone else who’s erroneously given her any form of credibility.

She’s the perfect example of the adage “power without responsibility“, and unfortunately for those impacted by her, whether in her personal, ‘professional’ or online life completely lacks any semblance or form of self-control.
It's like the sort of behaviour you have to be an absolute genius to get away with. She's not bringing ratings, good TV, innovative content or anything to make being a pain in the arse worth supporting. I think a spell in a normal workplace would either do her good or end up with one her colleagues getting themselves into serious trouble after totally losing it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
Tee hee hee I've had to put Sellotape on the floor to remind me where to stand coz I'm such a bouncy lil bunny

Absolute melt

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 66
I also think there's a vulnerability in acknowledging you don't know something. It happened to me on my shoot just yesterday. I was asked a question I didn't know the answer to so I deferred to a more 'techy' colleague. It's okay not to know stuff. But you have to bring SOMETHING to the table. Lack of preparation and bad manners don't count.

• Heart
Reactions: 77
Dunno about anyone else but i am over here patiently waiting for my next one pot meal. I mean its been like 3 days im starving.

• Haha
Reactions: 75
I also think there's a vulnerability in acknowledging you don't know something. It happened to me on my shoot just yesterday. I was asked a question I didn't know the answer to so I deferred to a more 'techy' colleague. It's okay not to know stuff. But you have to bring SOMETHING to the table. Lack of preparation and bad manners don't count.
This is a concept Jack really doesn’t seem to understand, and one I think is at the root of some of her lies and discrepancies.

If she ever said “I’m sorry I don’t know” or admitted she’d made a mistake, people wouldn’t be anywhere near as bothered as she thinks. Instead she chooses to make something up or double down on her mistake digging a deep hole for herself that she can’t get out of and didn’t need to land herself in in the first place.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Looks like the shoe is on the other foot now.

A reply to Aardman squig with his own nasty tweet served on a platter to his employees.

I am guessing the commercial partners of Jack may well double down on support because the other option is admitting they haven’t done due diligence and have been mugged off as much as our friends chucking a tenner in the tip jar.

Anyway, those recipes were an abomination and, much like all the other Jack specials, just aren’t cooked by anyone! Maybe our Aardman squig can cook up a sticky brown poo in comradeship.
That Aardman/Netflix collab was completely baffling. The sticky poo pudding was supposed to be a child friendly recipe and it was anything but. (A chocolate cake would have fit the brief much better). And the cooking technique was weird and dangerous - it involved balancing hot pans on spoons and all sorts. She completely missed the brief, as I think she does with many of her collabs.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 58
Dunno about anyone else but i am over here patiently waiting for my next one pot meal. I mean its been like 3 days im starving.
Luckily for you and all other starving folks somebody will step into the breach so I've been told ,if you tune your tellybox to Channel 4 at 8.30pm tonight there's a man who can help you out ....new chap from Essex apparently ...

• Haha
Reactions: 44
That is how a certain type of adult behaves. One who hasn’t been answerable to anyone and who has lived entirely without checks and balances, accountability and very little sense of responsibility for the past twelve years -basically since she stopped having a full time boss in the fire service.

This is so true, she hasn't had anyone or anything keeping her in check for such a long time. Had she had a consistent factor doing so, she'd still be the same person but wouldn't have run away with herself like she has. Her personality and associated behaviour has had free rein to get out of control. Add in the power trip elements of celebrity and a large fawning following on SM, and you end up with a monster for sure 😕.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
As others have said previously, it would have been so easy for her to build a credible and successful Patreon presence by offering fewer rewards and sticking to the sensible levels of reward other creators offer, e.g. exclusive blogs/vids/recipes, private discord channels, giveaways, newsletters, that kind of thing. Something you can make once a week/month and share with everyone at once rather than trying to get hundreds of recipe cards printed. Saying THANK YOU and SORRY to your Patreons every now and then. That and publish her figures. Even recently she could have changed tack, apologised and re-jigged her offer rather than still claiming subscribers will get unlikely rewards. But she SHAN'T obviously.

Asking people not to complain publicly cancels all that out imo, and makes it all seem very calculated. Like one of those TV evangelists they have in the US. I read about one recently who railed at his congregation for not giving him enough money for a watch he had his eye on. No, this Patreon was clearly a way for JM to secure a regular monthly income and fully exploit the blind faith of her followers, and you know she had contempt for them by asking them not to call her out in public for not delivering.

• Wow
Reactions: 46
When does THAT MAN release his one pot meals, some of us are starving.
Too…weak…to…press…post reply…haven’t eaten…since the *costume drama cough*…upside down fish pie…

Come closer fraus…for I am weak…*chokes*…

…before I…die of *cough cough* malnutrition….I must know….

Did the bechamel thicken in the ov….

*expires*

• Haha
Reactions: 83
It would be hilarious if one of her media safe spaces (such as The Guardian) offered Jack a platform to 'set the record straight'.

What would she do?

1) Turn it down, which sort of implies that she can't set the record straight, because it's all true?
2) Accept it, and waffle on about online bullying etc, but avoid the actual issue?
3) Ignore it completely?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.