Jack Monroe #361 The only person thats suffered has been, uh, me

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This may have been said before, but Is some of Jack’s info for example the SO for bills advice she received years ago when she was in financial difficulties and perhaps sought help from a money advice/budgeting service?
So at this stage is clearly out of date?
Or is she muddling her advice?

I can -and have in the past-set up a weekly/monthly amount to come out of my bank onto my bills via a bill pay system with An Post(Irish postal system), so x amount gets paid. The DD still in place -some months I’ve credit so no need to take anything from the account, and it means by winter I can have a nice little amount squirrelled away for higher bills. After 12 weeks you have to reset, but your details are saved so it’s easy if annoying but depending on your circumstances you can reduce the amount being paid, remove a payee, or add a new one if you switched suppliers etc.
It’s not perfect some suppliers don’t give you the option to pay via the service but when you’re tight on money and budgeting it is great help.
***My advice may be out of date anyone interested can use the old goggle to check it out.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
These seem to have been deleted but they're on the Wayback Machine.

View attachment 1491951
I am a mental health professional, work for NHS, nothing makes me more frustrated than people getting private autism/ADHD diagnosis. If you pay for it, you will get it. Might not be an "abuse" of the system but certainly a loophole!! No way with her supposed history of alcohol abuse that I'd prescribe ADHD meds.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
She was always a bit chaotic, quite up and down in her moods, but I remember her being a lot more fun! Had a great laugh. Sadly seems to be very angry and bitter now...

☕I don't live in Southend anymore but my family do. My sibling actually worked for a charity who helped set her and boy up in a flat and provide furniture etc they never received any thanks since she's become famous, no acknowledgement or suggestion to others to access this service...
Just curious. Do you remember what year this was? Was it after she claimed she sold all of her possessions in a big house clearance sale?

I am a mental health professional, work for NHS, nothing makes me more frustrated than people getting private autism/ADHD diagnosis. If you pay for it, you will get it. Might not be an "abuse" of the system but certainly a loophole!! No way with her supposed history of alcohol abuse that I'd prescribe ADHD meds.
I see you’re new here, big welcome! Jack also claims to be on Sertraline and Mirtazapine (sorry, I can’t spell). So yeah, lots of dodgy prescribing going on there.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
☕I don't live in Southend anymore but my family do. My sibling actually worked for a charity who helped set her and boy up in a flat and provide furniture etc they never received any thanks since she's become famous, no acknowledgement or suggestion to others to access this service...
This is what pisses me off, there is no direction to actual help or acknowledgement of help. She is just all doom and gloom, creating horrifically frightening images without any credit to the help that is out there!

Her advice is out of date and just based in misery. The current situation is frightening for so many families but I was always told in any horrid situation to look for the helpers, there are always helpers. This can take some of the depression out of desperate situations.

I hate that people think she is the voice of 'help' and is being so proactive when nothing could be further from the truth. The only advice she seems to give is idea of paying what you can afford and sticking it to the energy companies. This is not help this is dangerous misinformation!

• Heart
Reactions: 77
When waiting lists for NHS assessments are 2-3 years long and suddenly realising there may be reasons why your life has been so bleeping hard private assessment is a lifeline for some. I’m sure there are some dodgy practices out there but most have to follow the same criteria as the NHS (who in my experience don’t always get it right). I’m pretty sure however private you go you won’t get a surgeon doing open heart surgery for the fun of it so mental health should be thought of the same way.

but as Jacks experience doesn’t sound like either of ours I call BS!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 58
Apologies if this has been covered before, I’ve grunked more than I care to admit, but I only have so much time on my hands.
re: ADHD.
Has she been in rehab? With her history ofanorexia, addiction(?) and frequent and ongoing claims of poverty, alongside her numerous co-morbidities, I’m surprised the NHS would be keen to prescribe the controlled substance meds - easily abused and with street value.
Private costs £100s per month. I’m not doubting diagnosis and usage but surely she’d be monitored very very closely. That hair loss nonsense would have been dealt with quickly.
You’re right. If you’ve had issues with addiction you can be prescribed non-stimulant type. She might have looked trashed if she’d been asleep & they hadn’t had time to kick in (it takes about an hour & they only work by digesting them)

• Heart
Reactions: 17
This is a new one on me. I think smart meters were just beginning to be rolled out when I left money advice so it's not something I have any real knowledge of experience of. However it appears that if you have a smart meter you can be switched to prepayment mode remotely without the need for anyone to "smash" their way into your home. From the article linked below, there are procedures for when someone falls into arrears for reasons like affordability or change or circumstances that allows some time to negotiate but no one seens to have thought out what would happen in a protest non-payment situation. But yeah, everyone just change to a standing order and pay what you can afford and everything will be ok. Thanks for all that you do Jack.

• Wow
Reactions: 34
Just curious. Do you remember what year this was? Was it after she claimed she sold all of her possessions in a big house clearance sale?

I see you’re new here, big welcome! Jack also claims to be on Sertraline and Mirtazapine (sorry, I can’t spell). So yeah, lots of dodgy prescribing going on there.
Just message my sister she reckons 2011ish, Jack would have had to be under 25 (bit of a hint to the charity lol).

🤔 Re medication wouldn't see the point of both, although dont know her full history I guess. But again if you go private and ask for it you'll get it lol

• Wow
Reactions: 35
Not sure I agree with this. I paid because I couldn’t cope with the wait any more but the guy I used is the same local one my NHS surgery uses, so the process is exactly the same. The drugs I’m now on would absolutely fry my brain if I didn’t actually HAVE adhd instead of just making me feel like a normal person. Private psychiatrists are still subject to laws around giving people these they aren’t sweeties for rich people.
saying that I am absolutely positive I’ve seen JM claim to have abused prescription pills & use drugs. Sure someone will have the receipt!

• Heart
Reactions: 45
I hope Molly drops the nuke today. I'm off this weekend and need some entertainment.

• Haha
Reactions: 76
Yes, she could have used her appearance yesterday to direct people to stepchange or citizens advice but no.

when I was watching her DKL episode she said that if anyone had any questions about flour and dough, they should tweet her. The programme has contact details. They want people to call in. And she was using it as a free ad opportunity

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 43
When waiting lists for NHS assessments are 2-3 years long and suddenly realising there may be reasons why your life has been so bleeping hard private assessment is a lifeline for some. I’m sure there are some dodgy practices out there but most have to follow the same criteria as the NHS (who in my experience don’t always get it right). I’m pretty sure however private you go you won’t get a surgeon doing open heart surgery for the fun of it so mental health should be thought of the same way.

but as Jacks experience doesn’t sound like either of ours I call BS!
Not all private assessments do follow the same guidelines I'm afraid. There is massive inconsistencies with the diagnostics process. Also if you go private for assessment but then need treatment you may have to fund this and if the quality of the report is not great this may need to repeated in the NHS in order to receive treatment, so waiting again.

I definitely get the problems with waiting lists etc. It's the thing I hate most about my job, definitely failing people. But if anyone is reading this and feels like they need an assessment ask your GP to refer you to Right to Choose and can access assessments via Psychiatry UK

• Heart
Reactions: 38
This is what pisses me off, there is no direction to actual help or acknowledgement of help. She is just all doom and gloom, creating horrifically frightening images without any credit to the help that is out there!

Her advice is out of date and just based in misery. The current situation is frightening for so many families but I was always told in any horrid situation to look for the helpers, there are always helpers. This can take some of the depression out of desperate situations.

I hate that people think she is the voice of 'help' and is being so proactive when nothing could be further from the truth. The only advice she seems to give is idea of paying what you can afford and sticking it to the energy companies. This is not help this is dangerous misinformation!
All help is her help. Narc. The obsession with trussel trust like they are the only people giving out food. So not true. No mention of any types of community and local schemes to look for.
In my area there are community meals, access to cheap veg boxes, very cheap community shops, informal food banks in churches and a whole load of different charities.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Not sure I agree with this. I paid because I couldn’t cope with the wait any more but the guy I used is the same local one my NHS surgery uses, so the process is exactly the same. The drugs I’m now on would absolutely fry my brain if I didn’t actually HAVE adhd instead of just making me feel like a normal person. Private psychiatrists are still subject to laws around giving people these they aren’t sweeties for rich people.
saying that I am absolutely positive I’ve seen JM claim to have abused prescription pills & use drugs. Sure someone will have the receipt!
Yeah fair enough, I was over generalising and sorry if I sounded flippant (will blame jack). If you research it and find one that follows proper guidelines etc that's great and I'm glad you got the help needed.
I've just been in frustrating position of having to mop up bad ones and patients left without the help they needed and with an empty pocket.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Has anyone actually made the pasta black pudding thing?
I have an abundance of pasta, and a day off with no firm plans. I'm willing to do it. I'll be fair, make it exactly as it says. Pics later today (after lunchtime I'd think).

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 72
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.