Jack Monroe #355 rinses poor people better than she rinses spaghetti hoops

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Update: still combing through A Girl Called Jack and I found some content!
Sample quotes:
"There’s no tarting about, no fancy expensive ingredients, but still, when I call my friends and invite them over for dinner, I manage to fill a table and they manage to clear their plates with compliments and smiles and disbelief that I do it so cheaply."

"I don’t claim to be the world’s greatest cook, but I can sweat an onion with the best of them"

The second preface is Hunger Hurts. Greatest Hits!

Jack's tip for shopping: "Make a list"

Tip for cooking: "Courgettes give off quite a bit of liquid when you grate them but don’t worry about draining it off in this recipe because the courgettey water will help to flavour the bread and add moisture. When you will be adding water to a recipe later anyway, it doesn’t make sense to fanny about taking liquid out only to put it back in again, and I like simple solutions."

Thanks for all you do

ETA OH GOD JACK 'SEXILY' POSING WITH A RUSTY SPOON ABORT ABORT
View attachment 1477616
when I call my friends and invite them over for dinner, I manage to fill a table and they manage to clear their plates with compliments and smiles and disbelief that I do it so cheaply

Rip roaring dinner parties at Jack’s where she tells you the cost of every bleeping mouthful. 🙄 Seriously who has friends over and tells them how much it’s cost you to have them over.

Anyway, we all know she has no friends.

Tell us another story Jackanory.

• Haha
Reactions: 48
Craiyon isn't sure re: worts or what Jack looks like, but it had a go
craiyon_165447_jack_monroe_cooking_worts.png

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 33
Still catching up with this but I joined as it winds me up to be told that the only people tweeting negatively about her are all left wing sock puppet Katie Hopkins fans. I'm a lefty Katie Hopkins hater and I have 🔺 a few thousand twitter followers. Liked Jack until a few days ago when I read her latest blog. Was already suspicious because I'd seen her tweet about her savings fund for holidays, and honestly the soap thing did me in. I was poor and would I duck have done that. Such a weird lie. Anyway I found Tattle and the rest is history.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 120
Just got my spam, tinned chicken and baked beans in. Can’t wait to have my pickin balls and washed mushed beans tonight.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 50
It’s weird reading the excerpts of her recipe books being posted here, I never realised just how dismissive she is about her own cooking. Everything is described by HER as ugly, slop, not as good as the real thing, will do in a pinch, not great but it’s cheap. No wonder other food writers and chefs dislike her as she’s denigrating the entire industry. It’s like she’s contemptuous of food writing at the same time as she’s doing it for money if you see what I mean? Really odd.
She hates food. I think she wanted to be discovered as a political analyst, but only her chickpea curry recipe got any traction and she resents it. It shows in her writing about good and how she doesn't care to put an effort in testing recipes.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
She hates food. I think she wanted to be discovered as a political analyst, but only her chickpea curry recipe got any traction and she resents it. It shows in her writing about good and how she doesn't care to put an effort in testing recipes.
Agree, but it just makes so little sense to me when there must be loads of people out there who LOVE food and love making it accessible but are unable to break into food writing or publishing

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I just looked up the chickpea and peach curry recipe. Who on earth boils tinned chickpeas before adding to a meal?

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 34
Looking at her old blogs, her food actually used to be better. I mean, it was never great, but it wasn’t like the later stuff where you’d just look at it and think eww.

I especially love when she writes the opening to a recipe and it’s all self pitying like “I only had one mouldy mushroom and some gravel, and my bones were owchy so I decided to crawl sadly into the kitchen to attempt some soup….” And your appetite just dies by the time you get to the end of the sentence.

• Haha
Reactions: 57
Thread Title Nomination;

'Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive,’

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.