Jack Monroe #352 Hunger Hurts 2: The Difficult Second Album.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I also find it odd with Jack how she said she did a practise run for buying a house- what even is that? Did she seriously waste an estate agent, sellers and mortgage brokers time essentially 'window shopping' with no intention of buying?

It's so easy nowadays to find online calculators and credit checks so you can see what budget and the likelihood is of getting a mortgage so there was absolutely no need for a performative 'practice run'

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 67
Do we have any evidence that it was a "flop house" rather than a guest house. I know there was the news article in the Southend echo about the guys who bought it and what a state it was in etc. But any evidence of the clientele rather than it just being a crappy b&b
Edwina Currie appeared to know him really well. She linked to a blog post Jack did in memorium. Called them a “very wealthy family”.
If you look at Jacks blog and her NYT interview ( selling the dinosaur,) Jack seems to have kicked off with the poverty thing not long before he died ( leaving £1.8m).
Going by the blog I think he was poorly beforehand.
What a time to do a chaos eh Jack? Exactly what your folks needed at the time, you handing out yard sale fliers and pleading destitution in the local paper.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
why oh why do some squigs not seem to understand the difference between giving money to a charity, which is highly regulated so you know most of your donation will definitely go to the charitable person in question, and giving the same money to Jack, who is not transparent, and you have no idea whether your money will go to a food bank, crap wigs, or a trip to per Rialto?

Surely an economist of all people would understand the concept of cash dispersal?
They don't care. That seems to be the crux of it.
I think, as said yesterday, by handing money over to Jack, they get the feeling of having done something to support someone doing very important work - but don't ask them what that work is because they neither know or care; it doesn't impact their lives or lifestyle or social circle.
It means they don't have to feel bad when they ignore the plight of genuine poor or working class people, because they're already delegating their responsibility to Jack to fight the good fight on their behalf. Same goes for Nigella et al.
When you attack her, you attack them. They take it personally because they're invested in her to do the right thing. Nothing you can say will change their minds because they see themselves as too damn smart to be fooled.
These people cannot ever relate to what it is like to be poor. For all they know (and care), Jack's description is accurate.

ETA: I also hold the belief that some people are sceptical of giving to charity because of the salaries of their CEO's etc. Jack is grass roots if that makes sense.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
Lifting this beauty from MN as the next thread title nomination.

Jack Monroe campaigns for Jack Monroe to not be in poverty

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 143
Imagine her when she didn't win!

View attachment 1471000
I got stuck watching CDWM when I first got sick, it was on at 3 pm when I'd usually be at work so I'd never seen it before. I was mildly obsessed until it was replaced by Antiques Roadshow.
Since I found these Jackarse threads my dearest wish is for her to be on CDWM with her below par cooking, expecting praise but being torn a new one by the other three. Sigh, a gal can dream.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
Edwina Currie appeared to know him really well. She linked to a blog post Jack did in memorium. Called them a “very wealthy family”.
If you look at Jacks blog and her NYT interview ( selling the dinosaur,) Jack seems to have kicked off with the poverty thing not long before he died ( leaving £1.8m).
Going by the blog I think he was poorly beforehand.
What a time to do a chaos eh Jack? Exactly what your folks needed at the time, you handing out yard sale fliers and pleading destitution in the local paper.
The grasping little tit was probably angling to get added to the will last minute.

• Haha
Reactions: 49
Didn’t he own at least one of those dreadful bed and breakfast places where they put homeless people?
They throw them out in the mornings and they aren’t allowed back in until evening,
They are the grimmest of places but they make a fortune and I do mean a fortune. Local (to me) bloke bought a big house and packed them in like sardines, he was getting thousands a night from the local council, bought more houses and now drives about in a Bentley.
It seems like it was that kind of place, putting bits together. I think Jack once tried to frame it as her good old grandad would put people up that noone else would, or something.

Reactions: 45
I also find it odd with Jack how she said she did a practise run for buying a house- what even is that? Did she seriously waste an estate agent, sellers and mortgage brokers time essentially 'window shopping' with no intention of buying?

It's so easy nowadays to find online calculators and credit checks so you can see what budget and the likelihood is of getting a mortgage so there was absolutely no need for a performative 'practice run'
She probably took a football with a face on it pretending to be "SB" even doing her best ventriloquist act when it came to SB's turn to ask question about their forever home.

"Will there be brambly mice?"
"Is the garden bigger than scumbag/nicest man ever daddy's?"
"What does fisting mean? I overheard mummy say it once. She's so crazy and totally authenticity autistic."

• Haha
Reactions: 46
Monroe is right about selling toys just not necessarily for the reasons she sold SB's. I'm about to sell a huge amount of the Elastoblast juniors toys but only because they've asked me to as they want money for Lego sets and build a bears and feel they've outgrown certain toys. I'd never give away or sell their toys without their say so having had that happen to me when my mum "had a clear out". I was devastated to lose precious toys. The Elastoblast juniors have decided what to sell and we are waiting a week or so in case they change their mind...the Tonka minis have already been retrieved!
Sad memories, potentially triggering.

Me rail and unable to spoiler with my phone, sorry.
I wish my parents had been like you. I still remember seeing my favourite doll melting on a bonfire as my dad burned it. She was old, and tatty, and had a crack in her hard plastic head ( from when he'd thrown it in a previous temper), but I loved her. Fifty years later it's still a painful memory. Jack's SB would hopefully have been too young to remember the loss of his favourite toy, if it was true that she'd sold it, but then she told the media, and it's out there for him to read.

ETA... a missing apostrophe

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 102
It seems like it was that kind of place, putting bits together. I think Jack once tried to frame it as her good old grandad would put people up that noone else would, or something.
Then again, most of the guests were probably fine when they arrived for a nice bucket and spade holiday and only started to develop problems after a few days of Jacks shark eyes following them around the the premises.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
They don't care. That seems to be the crux of it.
I think, as said yesterday, by handing money over to Jack, they get the feeling of having done something to support someone doing very important work - but don't ask them what that work is because they neither know or care; it doesn't impact their lives or lifestyle or social circle.
It means they don't have to feel bad when they ignore the plight of genuine poor or working class people, because they're already delegating their responsibility to Jack to fight the good fight on their behalf. Same goes for Nigella et al.
When you attack her, you attack them. They take it personally because they're invested in her to do the right thing. Nothing you can say will change their minds because they see themselves as too damn smart to be fooled.
These people cannot ever relate to what it is like to be poor. For all they know (and care), Jack's description is accurate.
Yes agree but I also think it’s to do with the horrible political tribalism that’s been dogging our society since 2016. I had a lend of my brothers Twitter tl check out the Jackening myself and it was all

#FBPE #BEKIND = pro Jack

Everyone with an ounce of critical thinking left = seeing the truth but getting called white wing transphobes

This tribal fracturing is EXACTLY how grifters like Jack get away with it cos their own side unwilling to call out.

Although I was struck by number of squigs who’ve had doubts for a while but haven’t said anything until AM thread have them permission. AM HAS performed an invaluable service

• Heart
Reactions: 60
It still shows "last seen" based on your keyboard activity though. I have colleagues set as "busy" 24/7 and sometimes they show as "last seen 2 days ago" when it's Wednesday at noon
You can get a little clip thing that holds down your caps lock, which makes you appear active on teams even when you aren’t. Apparently. I haven’t been brave enough to try it yet.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
It's worth pointing out that 'Professor' Richard Murphy is to economics as Iqbal's gag-reflex is to bags of human tit.

• Haha
Reactions: 39
As an ADHD Frau with a private prescription (because we don’t have shared care in Scotland across the board like in England) Ritalin/methylphenidate is cheap. I spend £30 a month on my prescription. If Jack’s spending £200 a month she’s likely on a fancier, newer drug like Elvanse. And while it’s more expensive, I don’t know anyone who takes Elvanse who spends quite that much - maybe up to around £150. So if she’s saying she’s spending £200 she’s likely bullshitting as usual.
My elvanse is £100 a month and will move across to NHS once the psych is happy I’m okay on it.

Reactions: 22
It still shows "last seen" based on your keyboard activity though. I have colleagues set as "busy" 24/7 and sometimes they show as "last seen 2 days ago" when it's Wednesday at noon
Thankyou for all of the work that you do.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 40
Yes agree but I also think it’s to do with the horrible political tribalism that’s been dogging our society since 2016. I had a lend of my brothers Twitter tl check out the Jackening myself and it was all

#FBPE #BEKIND = pro Jack

Everyone with an ounce of critical thinking left = seeing the truth but getting called white wing transphobes

This tribal fracturing is EXACTLY how grifters like Jack get away with it cos their own side unwilling to call out.

Although I was struck by number of squigs who’ve had doubts for a while but haven’t said anything until AM thread have them permission. AM HAS performed an invaluable service
Yes MoldyW, I agree.
Ironic, isn't it? Given their poster girl, on her own admission, didn't even vote for Brexit or in the GE which brought the Tories into power.

Reactions: 30
I believe you get extra per night if you take people with addiction problems

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
Do we have any evidence that it was a "flop house" rather than a guest house. I know there was the news article in the Southend echo about the guys who bought it and what a state it was in etc. But any evidence of the clientele rather than it just being a crappy b&b
That seems to be the implication from here (soz if already posted, still grunking from two threads ago)

Screenshot_20220804-103322_Twitter.jpg

Also an example of the classic Jack disingenuity, saying Big Dave inherited "a" flat, not the three properties he actually got (hope I've got that right - paging @heretoreaditall2019 )

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 83
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.