Jack Monroe #343 A heavy dose of chickpea and loathing

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I vaguely know a local woman who is an alcoholic and you have always been able to tell. Her face looks a particular way, no matter how sad Jack looks it’s not the same at all. It’s swollen and tight, her eyes are glazed all the time, she’s thin and bloated. Putting a wooly hat on doesn’t give the same look.
The recovery stuff is 80% fiction but she is lonely and her narc character needs new fuel. If someone keeps mountains of printed emails telling her how wonderful she is and asks people to send more love letters to her agent, regularly showing a phone number is another shout out to sycophantic followers. Here is my number. Call me and tell me how bloody amazing you think I am. She is getting noticeably less responses on Twitter as people wise up.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
More than anything else this shows how much her career is in decline. Every channel is covering the cost of living crisis extensively, as a long-standing poverty campaigner and low cost recipe writer she should be a shoo in for a regular spot in the same way all the epidemiologists and virologists were during the height of the pandemic. However, with the exception of a few short and forgettable spots on Loraine she’s almost completely absent.
It also really shows how much she's squandered opportunities. Earlier this year, when the 344% thread went viral, she briefly had the highest profile she's had in years - constantly on TV/radio, getting retweeted by genuinely famous people etc etc.

Anyone even slightly savvy would have seized that with both hands. Get the website updated regularly again, post weekly meal plans, start a newsletter on supermarket deals of the week...there are so many options. Instead she bought a pigskin hat and went on holiday to Venice. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 73
That is exactly what I thought.

She is using the AA meetings as therapy. I know they are meant to help people in need but with her I feel that by going to 10 meetings a week she is just using them as an opportunity to talk about herself over and over again as a replacement (or an addition) to actual therapy. What about the others at those meetings? If she is all about kindness at the moment, surely she is not showing much by hogging the limelight and not letting the others talk or getting what they need from AA?

She can’t have it both ways. I know we are told (and it is a perfectly valid concept) that people who are struggling often don’t look like they are struggling. But this isn’t what is happening with her. In fact this is never what she has presented. She has shown a reductive idea of “struggling burglar bull Jack” vs “fixed, lights on, smiling Jack”. But she repeatedly claims she has a bonfire of a life but simultaneously a life beyond her wildest dreams. Which is it?

Her life is lived out on Twitter, for Twitter. That’s clear for anyone to see. When you construct something for external validation, it a) will not give you long term satisfaction and b) will not be able to be maintained for long.

I just hope the meetings thing is a lie because I feel for the others there and I hope Content isn’t hers because I worry about him every day.
Such wise words @Into_the_tunnel this describes those narcissists on Twitter perfectly. 👌

Her life is lived out on Twitter, for Twitter. That’s clear for anyone to see. When you construct something for external validation, it a) will not give you long term satisfaction and b) will not be able to be maintained for long.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
More than anything else this shows how much her career is in decline. Every channel is covering the cost of living crisis extensively, as a long-standing poverty campaigner and low cost recipe writer she should be a shoo in for a regular spot in the same way all the epidemiologists and virologists were during the height of the pandemic. However, with the exception of a few short and forgettable spots on Loraine she’s almost completely absent.
This!! If it wasn't for here. I wouldn't even know she was still involved in the crisis. I haven't seen her name in the papers or in the media for weeks, even with that little spell that she was on frequently a few months back. Seems they discovered she hadn't much new to offer.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I’m getting ads for Essex Police recruitment. ‘Kin hell, can you imagine Jack doing a single shift in a police control room? She’d forever be the expert on crime and justice and have endless stories about people being stabbed to death while on the phone to her.

I don’t think alcohol is her addiction. A lot of people have speculated j1g, but who knows. Social media/shopping addictions likely too but there’s no way she’d have enough introspection to deal with those. Plus she’d never go public and tell the paypigs that she pissed their money away month after month. (Love that cucumber posted the exact same thought as me at the same time. We’re getting good at Jack analysis).
My addiction is Jack. I guess this is my AA.

(Still doing draft 2 of my project, but also mithering on here. Have I turned into her? Send helpoes)

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Lots of cooks I follow are doing weekly meal plans at the moment. It’s really striking the budget cook isn’t.
Becky Excell (gluten free cook) has been making air fryer cookies this week. They look tasty and there’s a recipe.

I feel sorry for the other members of her AA groups (if she really is going)

Reactions: 20
Ummm. Posted last night. Is the countertop toaster oven gas? Is her #notworking #oventruther oven gas? The mystery rumbles on…

Edit- you don’t ping it in the microwave. You pop it in the microwave and it pings when it is done. Ffs.

C9371665-C434-484F-80D9-11A18DFCA2A3.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I for one am glad that we don't see much of Content or Coopsy. (Though as documented above by historian and record keeper extraordinaire @colouredlines , she's posted more about Content in a month than many people post about their dogs in a lifetime.)

The less I know about her animals, the better. Kitten was enough.
Completely agree: read the kitten threads and I am sickened, can't get that poor creature's suffering out of my head.

(25 years a cat owner staff.)

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 39
Didn't she have the chance to speak to a in committee on food or something? And she completely ignored it.

• Wow
Reactions: 32
Screenshot_20220722-181240_Chrome.jpg

Thankyou @Marmalade Atkins , you are a goddess.

Jack, nuzzling your current exBIL isn't really that shy

Has Jack done an OH CRIKEY big delete? Lots seems missing

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 45
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.