Jack Monroe #336 Her writing style makes me wish I’d never learnt to read

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone please ask for her views on Irish reunification. She must be "All for it" based on this tweet? Right?!?
Please, PLEASE don’t let her decide to wade into the gnarly and bitter politics of divided Cyprus and the Green Line either.

hopefully even Jack isn’t that stupid.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
I'm grunking but wanted to bring up Jack's general attitude to victims of substance abuse. She really has no clue and her attitude proves how cushioned her lifestyle is. She is literally wrapped in cotton wool.

Drug abuse is a major issue in Scotland. One of our nearby towns is especially bad for it. You can't walk through the High St without being approached. I have every sympathy for addicted people because it is a disease and also far too easy to fall victim to. But it's also terrifying to be accosted out and about by someone who is desperate and or high and is 9 times out of 10, a man. As a woman, I feel extra vulnerable. Too many women are attacked in public, in broad daylight and even by people we are supposed to be able to trust. We are threatened with sexual violence or threats against our children. It's horrific, there is a real epidemic of gender based violence just now, I'm surprised Jack doesn't address that but I probably shouldn't be. So forgive me Jack if I feel wary and unwilling to cosy up to an addicted person or God forbid report them if they attack me or someone else in front of me.
Yes!! All of this! This is the thing it’s all so insincere and not at all in touch with reality. The kindest thing we as a society can do for people in addiction is to provide easy to access, free, local residential services for them - not keep them in an eternal state of suspense/worsening physical condition remaining in their problem via shoplifting. Or make recovery options so unappealing eg ship you off to Milton Keynes for years when your friends and family are all in London.

I work in Soho 🔺 and before the pandemic would walk through there at 6am every morning, as the street cleaners were starting. The tit you see as a result of drug use is horrific. I went in last week around 7am so a bit later & someone TW drug use ref
used drugs in front of me just as I was walking down a not totally desolate street (it wasn’t like this was a back alley, but it wasn’t a main road) and they had quite a strong cough/gag response to what they’d snorted and it was terrifying, I stepped into the road to move away from him. I’ve spent a while thinking of my relative privilege and if it was hypocritical or snooty of me since I am a clean & sober ex-party loving girl who stumbled into her problem whilst working a ✌cool job in media✌then stumbled out in no time at all thanks to living somewhere with 800 meetings a week filled with young women just like me. There’s a lot to be said about privilege and how it intersects with addiction, what you use, how you get help, and how soon you get help tbh, but pretending that it’s okay to keep people sick is actually sick? Idk what this essay was for and sorry if it’s me-raily I suppose the point is even as incredibly privileged people in recovery we’re not equipped to comment on every instance of addiction and how society should accommodate or treat addicts. Like even in my own upwardly mobile middle class bubble of a life I couldn’t make excuses for all of my behaviour (being late to work every single day and blaming the central, circle, AND district line for it lmaoooo truly as if they were the problem not me 😭) so how could I/the royal we expect society as a whole to accept the unacceptable?? Once again this isn’t the thought process of someone engaging in any sort of recovery work, or someone who can see the impact their actions have on those around them. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 78
The one thing I never did as an addict was discard my kit all over town. When I began there were no needle exchanges so they were at a real premium and it was easier to find gear than it was to find new needles ( the downside is we all shared and how I am not HIV positive I will never know. I do have Hep C though). I'm always annoyed that at a time when it has never been easier or more convenient to dispose of your sharps, people seem to strew them everywhere. I'd have loved my own sharps bin at the start. we used to twist off the needles and put them inside bottles so they'd be visible. Funny how we had some moral values yet discarded others. I grew up with the Wombles- that's probably why!

• Heart
Reactions: 75
Haven’t posted for a while and still grunking away here, but just wanted to say I have a proper diagnosis of ASD (Asperger’s type before we disowned Asperger) and I would like to pull up what appears to be a repetition of the common misconception that we don’t have empathy, can’t love people blah blah blah. It’s not true and means that people who are simply horrible people are labelled as having ASD, which does those of us who actually have ASD no favours whatsoever, especially not women. It’s a condition that’s poorly understood by the general public in part because of repetition of things that aren’t really true about it. If anything, some more recent qualitative work with ASD women indicates we’re more likely to feel emotions very deeply (to the point of feeling physically hurt) than not at all. Being unable to love (or conceptualise another’s needs) or feel empathy are more likely to be indicators of NPD than they are ASD, particularly in women.

edited to add, caught up and can see a couple of ninnies had already made the same points, including the one about NPD x
God, I learn so much from reading these threads ❤
It really pees me off how people dismiss Tattle and think they know what it is having never spent any time here, one of my daughter's being one of those people. I only wish I could explain things to her in as intelligent and eloquent a way as you lot explain things on here, then maybe she'd understand more.
Anyway, back to the grunk, eagerly awaiting the part when I get to Jack's amazing hot take on the Boris news and the ninnies hot take on Jack's hot take x

• Heart
Reactions: 58
I was in a support group for maternal mental health and a couple of the mums who really weren't coping said they did things like pop the baby safely in their bed, turned on white noise, left the room, closed the door, put on the vacuum cleaner outside the door and cried for as long as they needed to. They felt desperately guilty about it and they were assured that as they were generally there and responsive there was no long term damage etc.

Giving advice like that out suggests to me someone who did not cope with having a little one, even though his dad moved in with them etc.

Not quite sure what the point was there, I guess mums when they're not coping do just needed to block the noise out, and doing something like that on the odd occasion to allow you to be mentally well and responsive the other 23 1/2 hours of the day is ok. But it's not standard parenting advice.
I was told by a maternity nurse that if my baby was ever particularly hard to settle and I was home alone and felt I needed a break, that I was to set them down safely in a cot, pram etc and go make myself a cup of tea. Just to have a few mins to restart my clock. It was meant as a away to prevent overwhelmed parents from shaking their baby or lashing out. Edit to add it was supposed to be used in an emergency not all the time.

• Heart
Feeling a tremendous amount of love for you all this morning. I work with addicts a lot and Jack might be surprised to find that they're actually people.
Some are lovely, generous and thoughtful human beings who do things like dispose of used sharps responsibly and some are absolutely terrible people who would most likely have been arseholes with or without SUD. Generalising as she does with literally everything is so dangerous, addiction doesn't discriminate.

ETA massive respect to you and congrats on your sobriety btw, I so appreciate you sharing your journeys on here.

• Heart
Reactions: 66
Feeling a tremendous amount of love for you all this morning. I work with addicts a lot and Jack might be surprised to find that they're actually people. Some are lovely, generous and thoughtful human beings who do things like dispose of used sharps responsibly and some are absolutely terrible people who would most likely have been arseholes with or without SUD. Generalising as she does with literally everything is so dangerous, addiction doesn't discriminate.
Agreed and one of the warning bells for me last night was when she was talking about male role models for her son and mentioned that she has men from her AA group around him. I really hope she's being EXTREMELY selective about that. In my experience of many years in recovery, men newly into AA can be quite volatile, obviously both men and women are but statistically male alcoholics and addicts are more likely to have form for violence, abuse and predatory behaviour caused by their addiction, or they're just arseholes. Ive been in situations in my naive early recovery where I've felt very scared in the rooms with male addicts violently kicking off, one pulled a knife on me once, one of my sponsees had a very unstable early recovery guy stalking her etc.

I am NOT making generalisations here about men in recovery, simply making the point that alkies and addicts can be volatile people especially in early recovery so there is a risk around who you invite into your home especially if you're a single woman and they're a dude. So I hope she is exercising appropriate caution.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 79
Agreed and one of the warning bells for me last night was when she was talking about male role models for her son and mentioned that she has men from her AA group around him. I really hope she's being EXTREMELY selective about that. In my experience of many years in recovery, men newly into AA can be quite volatile, obviously both men and women are but statistically male alcoholics and addicts are more likely to have form for violence, abuse and predatory behaviour caused by their addiction, or they're just arseholes. Ive been in situations in my naive early recovery where I've felt very scared in the rooms with male addicts violently kicking off, one pulled a knife on me once, one of my sponsees had a very unstable early recovery guy stalking her etc.

I am NOT making generalisations here about men in recovery, simply making the point that alkies and addicts can be volatile people especially in early recovery so there is a risk around who you invite into your home especially if you're a single woman and they're a dude. So I hope she is exercising appropriate caution.
This is really concerning.

• Heart
Reactions: 46

Besides everything you say, it's just completely unnecessary for her to have ~strange men~ surrounding SB, the point of a 'male role model' is not to have some randoms Jack met a few months ago coming into his life. SB has his dad and his granddads, that's enough for anyone, but of course Jack has to have the most male friends ever in an effort to prove how great of a mother she is. When all it proves is exactly the opposite.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 88
This is really concerning.
I'm sure she exercises appropriate caution. Just in my experience a lot of newcomers to the rooms are very vulnerable and naive and accept the guff you sometimes hear that everyone in the rooms is a ready-made friend. That's simply not true and just because you're in the rooms doesn't mean it's OK to reject your critical faculties or ignore your boundaries, you know? There are people who come into the rooms who do not have good intentions. And there are people who do have good intentions but are just really, really sick.

That's another reason why women should always be sponsoried by other women imho, ideally a long term recovery sponsor who has the appropriate level of boundaries and a healthy wee dose of cynicism. Personally I learned the very hard way in early recovery and these days I don't befriend anyone in the rooms unless I have witnessed with my own eyes that they have a sound recovery and are sound people in general - not just talking a good game in the rooms but actually practising the principles and living well outside of the rooms too.

• Heart
Reactions: 49

I thought that as well. It’s not even really addiction that’s the problem, it’s men. I’m not a parent but unless I knew a man relatively well and had corroborating info on him (ie. friends/family/colleagues knew him, had met people he was friends with or related to) there’s no way I’d be letting him into my house with my kid. And even then safety isn’t guaranteed. Something like 99% of all sexual assaults and 93% of murders are committed by men. Not all men but nearly always men. Why is Jack having randoms she’s met for a few meetings over to her home when she’s apparently been stalked and terrorised by death threats?

She’s a liar but the story is probably based in a small grain of truth ie. she has probably invited people over once or twice. She’s a safeguarding nightmare and I feel so sorry for Jonny having a mother who’s more concerned about getting approval from men and strangers than looking after his welfare.

• Heart
Reactions: 68
I thought that as well. It’s not even really addiction that’s the problem, it’s men. I’m not a parent but unless I knew a man relatively well and had corroborating info on him (ie. friends/family/colleagues knew him, had met people he was friends with or related to) there’s no way I’d be letting him into my house with my kid. And even then safety isn’t guaranteed. Something like 99% of all sexual assaults and 93% of murders are committed by men. Not all men but nearly always men. Why is Jack having randoms she’s met for a few meetings over to her home when she’s apparently been stalked and terrorised by death threats?

She’s a liar but the story is probably based in a small grain of truth ie. she has probably invited people over once or twice. She’s a safeguarding nightmare and I feel so sorry for Jonny having a mother who’s more concerned about getting approval from men and strangers than looking after his welfare.
I think it's fair to say that she didn't say they were randoms. They may well be people she's known for years who also happen to be in the rooms and have a great recovery etc. I don't wanna suggest that she's not safeguarding SB when she may well be. Just that her mention of 'AA men' being good male role models was a wee red flag to me for the reasons I mentioned above. You have to be so careful with those situations.

Reactions: 34
I think it's fair to say that she didn't say they were randoms. They may well be people she's known for years who also happen to be in the rooms and have a great recovery etc. I don't wanna suggest that she's not safeguarding SB when she may well be. Just that her mention of 'AA men' being good male role models was a wee red flag to me for the reasons I mentioned above. You have to be so careful with those situations.
Yeah tbf I often forget that Jack still lives in her hometown so she might know people.

She’s still a prize wankstain and a terrible mother, though.

Reactions: 30

That’s awful @moldwarp, in the early days of recovery especially but at all times, feeling safe in the room and the fellowship is so important.

I don’t think Jack is telling the truth about male friends from AA visiting her, I think it was said in the hope it’ll trickle back to OH and he’ll get jealous. Well that’s what I’m hoping anyway.

Reactions: 45
I suspect Jack is as full on with her friendships as she is with her partners. Where you or I might meet someone and develop a friendship over time, Jack will go from stranger- new best friend in sixty seconds.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 54
Someone please ask for her views on Irish reunification. She must be "All for it" based on this tweet? Right?!?
I’ve often wondered why Jack never comments on NI. Never a mention of her relatives over the water.
Her father was a British soldier, her mother almost certainly a Protestant. One or, more likely both of them, will have strong opinions on both Brexit and the protocol, not to mention Irish reunification.
Her mothers childhood will likely have been shaped by the troubles. Yet utter silence on the subject by, political commentator, Jack. Instead she witters on about Scotland, a country she neither understands nor has ties too.
Very odd.

• Heart
I’ve often wondered why Jack never comments on NI. Never a mention of her relatives over the water.
Her father was a British soldier, her mother almost certainly a Protestant. One or, more likely both of them, will have strong opinions on both Brexit and the protocol, not to mention Irish reunification.
Her mothers childhood will likely have been shaped by the troubles. Yet utter silence on the subject by, political commentator, Jack. Instead she witters on about Scotland, a country she neither understands nor has ties too.
Very odd.
The nearest she's come to it is having a pop at Corbyn for being soft on/supportive of the IRA (in her view). I'm kind of hoping it stays that way, the last thing we need is Loyalist Jack building a vast bonfire from pallets out the back of the crappy bungalow or Peace Jack treating us all to a heartfelt cover of Zombie by the Cranberries.

• Haha
Reactions: 57
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.