Jack Monroe #336 Her writing style makes me wish I’d never learnt to read

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Haven’t posted for a while and still grunking away here, but just wanted to say I have a proper diagnosis of ASD (Asperger’s type before we disowned Asperger) and I would like to pull up what appears to be a repetition of the common misconception that we don’t have empathy, can’t love people blah blah blah. It’s not true and means that people who are simply horrible people are labelled as having ASD, which does those of us who actually have ASD no favours whatsoever, especially not women. It’s a condition that’s poorly understood by the general public in part because of repetition of things that aren’t really true about it. If anything, some more recent qualitative work with ASD women indicates we’re more likely to feel emotions very deeply (to the point of feeling physically hurt) than not at all. Being unable to love (or conceptualise another’s needs) or feel empathy are more likely to be indicators of NPD than they are ASD, particularly in women.

edited to add, caught up and can see a couple of ninnies had already made the same points, including the one about NPD x
I have ASD myself, and a proper diagnosis too. I entirely agree that the public perception isn't good. But I stand by my points in my previous reply to the other complaint about what I said.

And I'm not saying anything about not feeling love. I'm saying that it might come across as not showing it, which is not the same thing.

Reactions: 28
please jack post some funny slop or cosplay as a midwestern mormon mom again because the narc parenting tweets are so depressing 🤞🤞🤞

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Evil Mr Big Asda is twirling his moustache and adjusting his monocle thanks to Jack.

• Haha
Reactions: 38
I'm afraid I agree that from the evidence she puts on SM, Jack is a terrible parent.
She seems to go out of her way to belittle and infantilise her son.
The poor kid is still trying to process the absence of Harold. Who Jack introduced into the family unit far far too soon. On top of that Louisa leaving, and his stepmother - his siblings mother. And his own mother's prolonged stay in the aparthotel last year.
Add to that allowing him to go cold and hungry for, what were the reasons again? ~checks notes~ ah, embarrassment, that excellent reason to let a toddler suffer.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 81
Exactly that. I’m not even a parent and I found it upsetting that someone would think about, let alone speak about their child like that in public. i guess it’s because she learned at a young age to be “empathetic and simultaneously detached” (how the duck does that work?). She also claimed in that podcast that her (crappy) attitude to parenting/her child was because she grew up military around the edges. bleep

View attachment 1396737
I do think from what she’s said repeatedly that the foster children are at the root of Jack as we know it now.

It can be a delicate balancing act and resentment easily starts building and breeding - and in fairness to Jack, it can be an incredibly stressful environment for bio children (especially if she does have some form of ASD) and that’s often sort of glossed over with “well you’re lucky compared to the foster children” which is an absolute guarantee of building resentment and bad feeling.

ETA: the constant bringing other people into SBs life who then leave is also quite possibly her repeating the pattern of her own childhood in a different way - you’d hope she’d have learnt first hand how damaging stuff like that can be but obviously not.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
Just to go back to the stealing from shops, I have a friend that works for a major supermarket, she is smaller than Jack and older than Jack but she has been known to chase shoplifters and catch them! she works in a store in one of the must deprived bits of England and they don't steal to eat, they steal you sell, and will even steal to order. She has no time for them whatsoever, I'd love to here her views on this nonsense.

She will happily ban people from the store, which as it's the only one nearby would be like banning Jack from asda, and that's a greater deterrent than the police.

The more people steal, the higher the shrinkage rate, the more prices will go up. But they won't bother patreon funded Jack

• Heart
Reactions: 50
For someone who went through such a terrible time during the poverty that she developed CPTSD, you’d think she’d have more care towards her son. After all, he’s in all of her worst stories, and sounds like he was quite observant about what was going on. But no, he’s just a moody hormonal teenager now and his puberty is content. Poor kid.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
As the mother of a teenage boy (young man, really, he's 17) I'm going to stick my neck out and say that I don't think that is what squig meant about older 'good influence' male figures 🤔 (apart from mention of Dad).

• Wow
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.