Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

MarzBarzie

No idea where this will land as I’m permanently on the eternal grunk but I posted a few weeks ago that I’d noticed my boyfriend started following Jack on Twitter. He’s quite left wing and I suspect he is fooled by her politics.

I’ve just had the crushing realisation that it’s seeing her on his timeline that makes him believe our shop for two people should only be £20 a week. He’s only just moved in with me so he has no idea what I spent beyond our ‘fun dinner’ shops on evenings where he’d stay over (he was fed at work the rest of the time). He truly thinks that’s all we need to spend and it’s made me want to scream into the abyss.

I might have to explain what the cabal is after all 🤦🏻‍♀️
But that’s fine! Don’t you see? Because he’s the expert in this situation, so if that’s what he believes then the onus is on him to teach you! Win win here.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28

veronica71

VIP Member
Still miles behind but so so excited to get up the pages that’s contain her political commentary on the cabinet resignations.

• Haha

Elastoblast

VIP Member
I bought butter at an ASDA store today. Not lurpak as it was a bit pricey but I paid £3 for 500g of an equally nice butter. Laughing at the randomness of items on the receipt as shopping with two boys with fixed eating patterns. Slightly expensive top-up shop as they "needed" new joycons which are part subsidised by me!

Attachments

• Heart

hellosailor⚓

Stuff like this just reminds me of how up its own backside the UK publishing industry is. An industry that can publish Laurie Penny and (potentially) Jack Monroe and think it's sophisticated, class conscious commentary is an industry hopelessly trapped at an Islington dinner party with no hope of escape like Hotel California.

Whilst I'm loving the fact that Black women are finally being published in real numbers with Black women-centred, high quality fiction (although the US is still miles ahead here), UK publishing really lost working class voices, hasn't had it since Shelagh Delaney and Alan Sillitoe to my mind. Irvine Welsh doesn't count he was a middle class student who dabbled with heroine and met some WC addicts once, made bank off them and been dining off it ever since. He's got all the right woke opinions now so as not to lose his placed in publishing's inner circle.

The fact that any publisher could contemplate putting out a book of political commentary (i use the term loosely) by Jack Monroe says something extremely depressing about our publishing industry.
I didn't know that about Irvine Welsh but it explains a lot. Sakes.

• Wow
"trashy" crime novel ..OT
I'm currently reading "Thursday Murder Club". I finally caved in, as it seems to be so popular.

I just don't get it. It's like every stereotype about older people, cobbled together with a thin storyline. Werther's Originals, Countdown, Bus passes etc etc.

But I doubt Jack could do any better. She raved about TMC, having been given an advance copy by Richard Osman .
Way behind today, (I’ve been at WORK, Jack), but unfortunately I think this may be why her book might sell - people are so dumbed down that they’re incapable of critical thinking and want everything told to them like some dystopian horror tale, hence the unspeakably tasteless name she’s elected to use for her ‘book’.

• Sad

Upthisweek

Wow, what a grunk. 😲 Ages ago didn't Jack go on a media/TV presenting course...? Am sure I remember her blabbering on about it.. (she said last night she hasn't had any media training) Another lie...

• Haha

Cookiecookie

VIP Member
Hedging her bets as she's rubbish at both, is my guess.

I adore that this therapist lists her specialties alphabetically.
Agree! Her absolute support of Jack would make me not go anywhere near her other services. How can she be any good, seriously?

Captainmouse

VIP Member
I have no wish to see slipnip as I am enjoying my bedtime crumpets...if she can get in a hammock she's not that bothered by RA/OA... what will tomorrow bring? Tush flash?
She will use a huge amount of her mobile call allowance on hold to those that must be obeyed

• Haha

WTFDidIJustSee

Chatty Member
Bit of an obscure one, but NightMeat just makes me think of something you’d feed the Night Mother, of The Dark Brotherhood, Skyrim. She has good Flying Monkeys, too.*

*Its been a decade since I last fired up the Xbox, so why the fuck this was languishing in my brain, I don’t know. Send #3TherapistOs

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart

Pimpinella

Chatty Member
Same! Child of the late 60’s. I have very poor eye sight and I struggle to read on a screen! I have photophobia and using a laptop or iPad/iPhone for more than a few minutes at a time makes me feel drowsy to! So I’m so much better with notes in print!

I suspect Jack thinks owning a shelf full of lever arch files are an ADHD/Autism trait!
I much prefer to be able to physically have notes/books. I write in notebooks and I write letters. On Dr Jack's criteria I'm clearly off the scale.... I also WFH on line and have done for well over a decade. I'm such a contradiction! I'll need counselling and a patreon account....

• Haha