Jack Monroe #315 The man from the mortgage broker, he say No

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just bringing this over from the last page thanks to @Wooh for capturing
Screenshot_20220530-090947.png

So 6*£6k + £25k = £61k minimum for her books. Considering most have been late, they are full of clearly untested recipes etc I don't think that's too bad.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
What happens when the books don't sell as well as the advance. I don't think the depressing cook book sold all that well, does she owe the publisher then?

Reactions: 27
Just wanted to bring this post forward from the last thread, the single person discount is based on the adults living in the property only, as children are non earners and not responsible for CT. So she's either lying, repaying a debt which will follow her to any other property she goes to anyway, or she's a numpty and been paying full whack #counciltaxtruther.

Morning all 😊
I think Jack rounds up and exaggerates numbers a lot. In Jack's head, £266 is the rate and it rounds up to £300 so she pays £300 even if it's actually only £200. My opinion is she does this in all areas of her life eg she may have several £0000's of savings in her SAVINGS account but in her current account she only has £19 therefore for the purposes of Twitter she only has £19.

I’ve been pondering the Big Sale.

She has said numerous times that she was too ashamed to tell her loving and supportive family about The Poverty yet there’s Mammy giving helpful advice…

Thing is about the internet, once info is out there, it stays there. Makes it hard for those who are disingenuous about their past to retell their story (or stories).

Edit: while I was ponderin’ dear heart @ChickenPorridge was thinking along similar lines.
What also interests me about the FB sale is why local press were there in the first place. I know local press report on kittens up a tree etc etc but even so, surely a house sale in not newsworthy unless she was already a big cheese / attention seeker locally? I've said before that I suspect her dad was a bit of a 'self made' (ha) bit cheese / legend in his own lunchtime locally, and so maybe she took on that mantle or created it herself?

Reactions: 51
So she uses pickled garlic for bad days when she can't peel a clove 🤨

Pickled garlic is a totally different product, it's pretty mild - Lidl sell it during Spanish week. I munch though a whole jar while intermittent fasting to keep within calories 😬.

An actual alternative would be the garlic paste. But if peeling it was an issue but you were still cooking you'd just use a garlic press as you don't need to peel and arms or legs could press it. I can't believe for years I didn't have a garlic press and was wasting time peeling, always getting garlic fingers and garlic chopboard. Truly revolutionary! 😆

It's the lies over pointless insignificant things that baffle me the most.

The dodgy advice to mix oil and water to pickle garlic aka botulism is strange because if she's going to lie about something she does why doesn't she spend a minute to Google and at least give accurate and safe information?
The frozen garlic that some supermarkets sell is really useful too. The Taj brand that comes under the 'world foods' section is about £1 a bag for either cubes of purée or a bag of diced 🙂.

Reactions: 34
What happens when the books don't sell as well as the advance. I don't think the depressing cook book sold all that well, does she owe the publisher then?
I don't think so - I think it's publishers taking a bit of a risk/making a prediction based on previous sales. I'm guessing her first two books probably outsold her advance, and tin can cook probably did as well (due to the amount of copies purchased for foodbanks)

Reactions: 21
I think Jack rounds up and exaggerates numbers a lot. In Jack's head, £266 is the rate and it rounds up to £300 so she pays £300 even if it's actually only £200. My opinion is she does this in all areas of her life eg she may have several £0000's of savings in her SAVINGS account but in her current account she only has £19 therefore for the purposes of Twitter she only has £19.

What also interests me about the FB sale is why local press were there in the first place. I know local press report on kittens up a tree etc etc but even so, surely a house sale in not newsworthy unless she was already a big cheese / attention seeker locally? I've said before that I suspect her dad was a bit of a 'self made' (ha) bit cheese / legend in his own lunchtime locally, and so maybe she took on that mantle or created it herself?
It was definitely performative. Her MUM commented on it so they can’t have been concerned about her & SB actually starving can they??

• Heart
Reactions: 51
So she uses pickled garlic for bad days when she can't peel a clove 🤨

Pickled garlic is a totally different product, it's pretty mild - Lidl sell it during Spanish week. I munch though a whole jar while intermittent fasting to keep within calories 😬.

An actual alternative would be the garlic paste. But if peeling it was an issue but you were still cooking you'd just use a garlic press as you don't need to peel and arms or legs could press it. I can't believe for years I didn't have a garlic press and was wasting time peeling, always getting garlic fingers and garlic chopboard. Truly revolutionary! 😆

It's the lies over pointless insignificant things that baffle me the most.

The dodgy advice to mix oil and water to pickle garlic aka botulism is strange because if she's going to lie about something she does why doesn't she spend a minute to Google and at least give accurate and safe information?
We always have a jar of minced garlic and one of minced ginger. It lasts better and it's so much easier. I buy frozen chopped chillies as well. I'm sure they are better value as there's much less waste

It was definitely performative. Her MUM commented on it so they can’t have been concerned about her & SB actually starving can they??
"Don't sell the camera (just let SB have water on his weetabix for a few more weeks)"

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
Oh thank you for picking my thread title :geek::)

Jack, my advice to you is go and see an actual mortgage adviser. Not a bank. They will have seen it all and won't be easily shocked.

I've managed to get a few mortgages and I'm disastrous with money to the point that I'm at the end of my overdraft every single month.

I learnt a lot from MSE website though about how to handle debt and so I have a good credit history even though I have scary levels of debt because I piss money away and live beyond my means. I know how easy it is to do that. Just saying in case anyone is worried about applying for a mortgage with debt.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
The publisher takes the loss. Obviously, having an unearned advance effects the advance for the next book (it is likely to be lowered) or whether the publisher decides to publish that author again.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Great title.

Just driven home from my parents' and saw a white-bearded bald-headed chap driving one of those old open top cars. Nearly had to pull over from giggling at the thought of Harold happily motoring along to pick up Jack for an adventure to the midl of Lidl. Maybe I need more sleep.

Anyway yeah imo it's obvious that she fully expected to get a mortgage and had no idea what it actually entails. Also going back on the last thread (?) I noticed Paul Heaton commented favourably. We actually have mutual friends🔺 and I will be ensuring they get him fuckin' told next time they see him

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
No.

The whole grand sale expose has just added a whole new layer to the story for me. It's so obviously not the act of a desperate person, and her mum chiming in adds to that. The whole family is bloody weird (mine is too Jack, before you think I'm just being a cow) They must all be in on it, but how, when so much of their image is being publicly minded?

• Heart
Reactions: 62
In shocking news, I noticed the Guardian actually published a piece on the after effects of poverty by someone who isn't Jack Monroe. And then a second article by the same person today on being queer while in a heterosexual relationship.

Jack reading these

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 81
When the house sale took place, Jack had already published Hunger Hurts on her (non anonymous) blog, so I'm sure her parents had already been alerted to it and had already shown up at her place to give her several bags of food, probably some money and hopefully a right bollocking.

Reactions: 42
It just wasn't anything like she sold it in her pov sob story. This is how grifters and narcs often operate in my opinion - they actually tell the almost-truth or take true events but put them through a fun house mirror so they become distorted e.g.

House sale of expensive items like wedgewood to raise cash BECOMES sale of all necessary items of low value like cheap cultery and plastic dinosaurs because destitute like Fantine selling her hair in Les Mis

Advertised on FB and invites local press, mum jokingly reminds me to keep my camera, it's all very cheery BECOMES totally alone, no one knows, too shamed to tell anyone and in any case there is no one to help.

As a previous poster (in fact I think it may have been you, @FlirtyThirty !) wisely said, this is why her written accounts of the pov time have disconcertingly distant and melodramatised language e.g. instead of something which sounds truthful and factual e.g. I had to hide fro bailiffs and was scared of a knock on the door" it has to become "You feel the painful scars of trauma in your abdomen, the evil bailiffs leering at a fragile little bird in traazers, howling and clutching uselessly at the floor of the RENTED bungalow, yes this is my story as I recall it" ... it's distanced because there is a subconcious acknowledgement that it's not true.

I'm also interested in how and why she went from having custody of SB almost all of the time to, it seems, fairly little of the time if he goes to school elsewhere. Whether this was his decision, her decision or dad's decision and when it happened. Obviously whatever is best for the boy is what needs to happen. I'm just confused as to why she tries to hide it. I had to move out of my home in my teens and live elsewhere due to stuff going on at home that wasn't good for a young person to see or be involved in. I know it was a wrenching decision for my mum to make but she did it because it was best for me and I am grateful to her for that, very grateful indeed, in fact I shudder to think of the alternative. For me, making tough decisions like this are what motherhood is all about. So i don't understand why jack hides it. It would be different if she didn't mention SB at all, in which case none of my beeswax, but she utilises him all the time, so therefore why give the impression he's there all the time.

• Heart
Reactions: 69
I know it's hard to read tone, but I read the selling stuff exchange, as she got angry because mummy and daddy wouldn't do something, ( probably because they were tired of her bullshit) and she literally threw her toys out of the pram.

The mum response for me is akin to when your an angsty teen and to get back at your mum for not letting you get something, you then decide to bin your room ( because you can't have nice things) and your mum walks in and not rising to it just says put it all back when you have finished, dinner is a six.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
That tweet where Jack said that selling her belongings would "kick start" her deposit for a house. I thought that was weird wording for someone who claims to have always been good at scrimping and saving? It's just occurred to me that she may have chosen that phrase because she plans to keep referring back to it so that anyone who searches for "Jack Monroe kickstarter" on twitter will find references to all the sacrifices she's making instead of info about the massive grift she pulled with her actual kickstarter campaign. It's obvious that more and more squigs are realising that Jack's story is sketchy, so she has to find ways to keep the worst parts buried. Even the non-questioning squigs might search for a JM kickstarter/GFM hoping to donate to the Forever Home Fund and accidentally stumble upon the ugly truth.

Alternatively she's just chosen a phrase that'll guilt the squigs in to popping something in her tip jar, and Jack's constant sketchiness is turning me a bit paranoid 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 45
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.