Jack Monroe #297 I'm not a natural tax payer.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When I was looking into sad kitten incident, I came across a MN thread where someone questioned Jack's mental state and said that she was 'wearing it (the kitten) in a sling' at one point. 😮 Anyway, people responded that thread would be banned because MN doesn't allow speculation about people's mental health. I thought BUT I WANT TO SPECULATE ABOUT HER MENTAL HEALTH!
The MN moderation policy is just bizarre. They allow all manner of personal attacks and abuse when it comes to Mumsnetters, but god forbid you criticise someone in the public eye - they have an attack of the vapours.

Reactions: 37
The MN moderation policy is just bizarre. They allow all manner of personal attacks and abuse when it comes to Mumsnetters, but god forbid you criticise someone in the public eye - they have an attack of the vapours.
Ikr, it was strange because the posts weren't even that critical, it was more like 'is she okay at the moment?'

Reactions: 13
My mum just told me that she had "baked beans in a salad". I was aghast. She explained that "it was very nice with mayonnaise". She likes baked beans cold but not hot. I don't think she rinsed the beans but couldn't bring bring myself to ask.

Anyway, thought Jack might like the idea if she is reading here.
My mum does this because it was the thing in halls when she was teacher training. Every weekend cold baked beans with the salad. Was perchance your Mum studying in Hull in the 60s

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 30
Because Hugh played the PM in Love Actually and he was a good PM in that so he should be a good PM in reality. #squiglogic

Disclaimer: I've never seen Love Actually so I've no idea what type of PM he was or if the film even touched on what his stance was on food poverty
He was supposed to be a sort of sexy David Cameron type. Yes, I know Cameron wasn't PM yet but he was 'up and coming' when the film came out.
Also yes to getting a bit of sick in my mouth for typing 'sexy David Cameron '

• Haha
Reactions: 38
My mum does this because it was the thing in halls when she was teacher training. Every weekend cold baked beans with the salad. Was perchance your Mum studying in Hull in the 60s
Is it like, mixed up with the lettuce and stuff? Only I like cold beans, but only straight out the tin if I’m drunk (or more likely as a student too stoned to turn the hob on)

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Is it like, mixed up with the lettuce and stuff? Only I like cold beans, but only straight out the tin if I’m drunk (or more likely as a student too stoned to turn the hob on)
I think on the side. She also likes pickled beetroot and used to do big fancy diner parties in the 70s which involved a bizzare box full of laminated cordon bleu recipes. Honestly I think her taste in food is why I became veggie even after being told I'd have to cook all my own food at 13

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Grunking, but do we have any updates on the unboxing of the miniature giant space P*mble yet? 😂

• Haha
Beetroot was a school dinner thing in Scotland in the 1970s 🤮. Cabbage too. Lots of cabbage. Mashed tatties and strange cakes made with raisins and custard everywhere. Right up Jacks street. I still struggle with beetroot to this day

Reactions: 15
The hummus curry is good! I've definitely admitted to having eaten it somewhere, probably the OT thread. You can't eject me from the canal for it. I know my rights and I've settled in, like the dry rot that caused Jack's shelf to spontaneously collapse.

I've also only just realised that peach is an anagram of cheap. A true food of the poors 🍑

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 75
Hi, wonderful people. Jumping in lurker style to thank you all for some laughs in the past week or so. I was in a dark place, no light in either of my eyes, howling, throwing chairs, etc, so getting giddy about a sentient pumble was a helpful distraction. Thank you for the tireless work. You must be exhausted.

And thank you for adding to my Canadian vocabulary. Been calling everything “claggy” for weeks now and I’ll hit the spot one day. But I’ve recently figured out toasties are just sealed toasted sandwiches (aka grilled cheese), so I’m simultaneously less impressed with you all. But before you go after this non-binary class traitor for not thanking you enough (unclear which class I’m betraying), know that for every criticism of toastie makers I have, I believe there are thousands of other North Americans silently thanking you for helping them laugh about very British things this week. That is a huge achievement, cabal. People who wouldn’t have laughed about pumble this week are laughing, because of you all 🎸🔥☠✌.

(If unclear, I’m channeling a smoke-blowing squig. You cabal are just all right and made me chuckle when I was climbing the walls. Also DMs are open if anyone can forensically track me down online and send me a $130 CAD Breville toastie maker. I’d buy it myself, but I’m not a natural spender and feeling too autistic to find my credit card today.)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 110
fbpe twitter is once again calling for jack for pm

View attachment 1235166
I think she’d turn her nose up at the PM job. Boris lives in a FLAT of all things. Not even an executive one. And it’s not a forever home. She’d probably moan and whine about having to move again.

I was reading about THAT MAN the other day and it strikes me that his upbringing may have actually been less privileged than Jack. His parents owned pubs, which is hardly big money, and he only got two GCSEs (no half). As annoying as I find him, I admire that he put in the graft and worked on his skill. You don’t seem him pushing the same bleeping recipe from 2012 over and over and moaning about how he used to work long shifts in the kitchen at the pub.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 66
That sounds euphemistic, like when parents tell a child their beloved dog has gone to a lovely farm. Don't worry darling, the book's being looked after and it's having a great time with all its friends <sounds of books being pulped in the background>

• Haha
Reactions: 61
This has just been on one of those forgotten hits of the 80s music channels
Ninnies I was not singing tumble

• Haha
The more Jack slags off Jamie the more I like him. Actually I saw this video he made maybe around 18 months ago when he was talking about poverty and food and I’ll tell you something. The research he did was far more impressive than anything I’ve seen Jack Monroe churn out. Plus he spoke like he really cared.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.