Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Let's be honest she's got no interest in food just in being a celeb.

She should have entered the first season of big brother. I think doing holiday competitions on this morning like Alison Hammond is the kind of 'job' she'd like, but it doesn't suit her personality.

Social media has lots of controls these days to make it easy to not see abusive posts, but she refuses to even turn off her DMs as she claims they're some kind of helpline. If someone is going out of their way to find offensive posts what can you do?
I think for some people it becomes addictive almost seeking out the bad stuff and in some ways I can relate to Jack in this way. I think most of here will agree that she Is suffering with her mental health and I find when you get in that negative head space and if you have low self esteem to boot, it's like a vicious circle. You know you should seek out things to make you feel better, but you get caught up in this negative whirlpool and reading one bad comment segways into you searching for more and then you keep checking (ie Jack with here) the paranoia rises and you end up in a right state. You don't see the positive only the negative and reading it all becomes an addiction in itself.

This is why Jack really needs an intervention, she's not going to be able to do this on her own. I'd even go as far to suggest she needs some form of rehab facility.

Reactions: 9
I remember that post, don’t remember who wrote it but it was really thoughtful. It discussed not buying the cheapest basic value range but stepping up a level and buying treats too not just basic food. It was really good, and better than I am condensing it into!
Yes, absolutely exactly (sorry, habit...)

Found it! it was the fabulous @BeautifulTrauma, way back in thread #5

(not sure if this link will work, may replace with screenshot)

ETA: thanks @GrunkaLunka & @BeautifulTrauma - cross post 💓

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I've posted about community fridges before (link: https://www.hubbub.org.uk/the-community-fridge)

If you google your local foodbank it should be very easy to donate. At least it's at my local one - they always have a list up of what's needed. I don't know if this is the same nationwide, but they tend to ask for smaller sizes of things like oil and vinegar, sugar, tea and coffee. In my area they are usually well-stocked for pasta, cereal and baked beans. They are always short of things like decent tomato sauces (rather than just tinned tomatoes) , as if you have a bag of pasta and a jar of sauce you immediately have a meal and all you need is a single stove and a single pan.

I think giving things like garlic granules, dried herbs and spices, seasoning mixes, stock cubes etc, is useful. Many people don't think to donate this, but they last for ages and can really make a difference to a meal.
I used to try and pop in the odd treaty thing too. The husband (who had led what you might call an 'interesting' life) had spent time properly homeless, and living in really crappy welfare places, and used to say those little bits would really brighten you up, because there wasn't much to look forward to.

He used to eat almost everything, except certain, very cheap breakfast cereals, as he said they were too much like being back in a homeless shelter.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Let's be honest she's got no interest in food just in being a celeb.

She should have entered the first season of big brother. I think doing holiday competitions on this morning like Alison Hammond is the kind of 'job' she'd like, but it doesn't suit her personality.

Social media has lots of controls these days to make it easy to not see abusive posts, but she refuses to even turn off her DMs as she claims they're some kind of helpline. If someone is going out of their way to find offensive posts what can you do?
As an aside, I really respect Alison Hammonds career trajectory! From being voted out second of Big Brother in 2002 she has been interviewing A-listers on This Morning ever since, got Dwayne Johnson AKA “The Rock” to “propose” to her and was at one of the royal weddings (I think). 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
I think it can only be a good thing that JM is taking a break from social media. She has appeared increasingly manic and erratic which cannot be good for her ‘brand’. I’m not convinced she has people around her to intervene ... the impression I get is that she is surrounded by sycophants or people that are simply too scared to stand up to her. Let’s face it, she doesn’t take criticism well....😳
So long may the break last - although it does make life here a lot quieter...

Reactions: 8
I think for some people it becomes addictive almost seeking out the bad stuff and in some ways I can relate to Jack in this way. I think most of here will agree that she Is suffering with her mental health and I find when you get in that negative head space and if you have low self esteem to boot, it's like a vicious circle. You know you should seek out things to make you feel better, but you get caught up in this negative whirlpool and reading one bad comment segways into you searching for more and then you keep checking (ie Jack with here) the paranoia rises and you end up in a right state. You don't see the positive only the negative and reading it all becomes an addiction in itself.

This is why Jack really needs an intervention, she's not going to be able to do this on her own. I'd even go as far to suggest she needs some form of rehab facility.
She does thrive on these posts where she's either the victim or hero and because of the way social media works the more engagement she gets it encourages these highly emotive posts that get a response and reach lots of people.

If she just posted good recipes she wouldn't get people typing out long replys that reward her in the algorithm. She would just fade into the tens of thousands of other food bloggers that could only dream of the income jack gets. It's toxic.

Even on the topic jack claims to be an expert of; foodbanks - the only advice she has is to donate to them.

Reactions: 20
She is definitely deliberately making herself look sick and thin to try and make Louisa feel guilty - I bet she loves it when people say they’re worried about her
Yes I'm afraid I think this too - the constant use of that horrible filter, and the drip drip feed that everyone thinks she is so thin. Honestly if she hadn't kept saying that I would think she looks almost exactly the same as when she was on DKL, but with grey hair now, and skin due to the filter.

Reactions: 18
As an aside, I really respect Alison Hammonds career trajectory! From being voted out second of Big Brother in 2002 she has been interviewing A-listers on This Morning ever since, got Dwayne Johnson AKA “The Rock” to “propose” to her and was at one of the royal weddings (I think). 😂
"I can probably bend it back" 😂

She's the biggest winner out of all of big brother contestants.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
@LennyBriscoe

Hope this quote works from the previous thread. I completely agree with this. I don’t know how many use mums chat and/or used to visit AIBU but I found that switching to the former from the latter made my style of posting more relaxed and not as aggressive in tone because I felt people weren’t being abrasive to me here, if that makes sense.

But one user mentioned they feel scared all of a sudden, which I don’t understand. If you don’t overshare, reveal personal things about you, give out identifying information about yourself.. what is there to be scared of?

And the issue of someone here might have allegedly sent messages personally to Jack via Twitter... but why is this scary? I personally find Twitter unpleasant as a whole and that’s why I don’t use it, but if I did I would turn the ability to turn personal messages off, and if I couldn’t do that I simply wouldn’t use Twitter in the first place, but if I HAD to because of my career, I would absolutely hire a social media manager to sort out all that clog that was sent to me so I didn’t have to see it on a daily basis.

I’m not sure if I’m judging it harshly because I don’t use it, or because it’s because Jack seems to be on it ALL the time (half of the time deleting past stuff, I reckon) but I don’t get why the whole “someone who is right wing from here is sending DMs to Jack” a few threads back thing scary and unsettling or wrong. (I hope nobody thinks this was me btw, I’m just saying my opinion): Who cares if someone who is registered on here and is registered on Twitter is using the service Twitter supplies and the Terms that both Jack and the Tattle(?) person both agreed to when registering on Twitter?

Of course I’m not saying this should be advocated or encouraged but I don’t get why a platform designed for people putting themselves on public speaking platforms in the digital age is being questioned whether people’s tweets (or “thoughts” if you will) are right or wrong or not. Again, this may be a lack of understanding on my part on how the site works or just reluctance from the overwhelming evidence supplied in these very threads to believe things that things that Jack says is truthful.
It was me who said I was scared.
Purely because, through my own naivety, and wishing to connect with people on here, I have been quite open about myself. I’m sorry, but the thought of someone who was on here who was also potentially harbouring fairly alt-right, racist views on twitter - then yep it was scary to me.

If anything it’s a wake up call for me to realise that while I can go into this quite genuinely, and actually really like most people on here (or what they project), and / or think they are funny or kind, it made me realise that others here may not.
I know this makes me sound like a naive milksop, and if so 🙋🏻‍♀️

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 42
Yes I'm afraid I think this too - the constant use of that horrible filter, and the drip drip feed that everyone thinks she is so thin. Honestly if she hadn't kept saying that I would think she looks almost exactly the same as when she was on DKL, but with grey hair now, and skin due to the filter.
Yes and even with the hair loss stuff! I have naturally very fine/thin hair to the point an ex used to call me "bald" as a way of emotional abuse - making me very insecure about it. And TBH I found her statements of hair loss very insulting... especially when you look at her shaved head and see no gaps where it was thinned. It all fits the narrative of her being unwell/poorly/whatever. Ultimate sad fishing.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 26
This is a really good idea tbh - she should drop the book before Christmas because I think a lot of MC liberal hunnies gift her stuff out to their nieces/nephews/grandkids to help them cook on a budget, as if they're not existing solely off of frozen chips & pizza rather than pulverised tin meat? But they'll have gifts for all the fam now. It'd make so much more sense than a book of political analysis from someone who doesn't really get it.
I find her 'political analysis ' nothing more that a series of soundbites. This is good for drawing attention to a cause you want to promote, but to keep people interested it has to go beyond a soundbite, a retweet, and a reading list.

And there is nothing wrong with wanting nice things, if Jack likes Burberry and All Saints she can buy them. it isn't a competition to see who is poorest. But don't plead poverty while you are sitting in a house rammed full of stuff.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Gah! I really don't think he needs her 'help' 🙄

View attachment 156308
wtaf - do people really not understand how icky this is? JM is a white MC woman who's been too busy making serious Unilever cash, acquiring American style smeg fridge freezers, and booking TV slots to get involved in this campaign, there's not been a peep out of her about it?

So how the duck could it POSSIBLY be a 'collaboration'? JM should be getting involved, yes, but it's not a collaboration. She's not a leading voice on this, she's not put in the hours, she's busy selling branded mayo.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
It probably is an addiction of sort but also habit. Like others have touched on - when you are so used to thinking a certain way, it’s so hard to then try and “rationalise” because you feel you are being rational. It’s so hard to unlearn and unpick decades of “default” thinking.

I struggle with sleeping because as soon as I go to bed, my brain goes ‘oh hey do you remember that time in school when your group of girl friends sat down and told you that you had all these perceived faults? Maybe they were right and you’re a tit person. Let me just playback all the other ick memories to evidence that too’.

Hmmm I think I’ve waffled on and not quite articulated things properly. TBH I just popped to the supermarket and came back to 💥 (previous thread)

• Heart
Reactions: 18
She is definitely deliberately making herself look sick and thin to try and make Louisa feel guilty - I bet she loves it when people say they’re worried about her
Yes and even with the hair loss stuff! I have naturally very fine/thin hair to the point an ex used to call me "bald" as a way of emotional abuse - making me very insecure about it. And TBH I found her statements of hair loss very insulting... especially when you look at her shaved head and see no gaps where it was thinned. It all fits the narrative of her being unwell/poorly/whatever. Ultimate sad fishing.
That’s one of my sore points with her too, I know there is much much worse, but hairloss makes me feel really old and haggard and I’m only kn my early 40s

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Gah! I really don't think he needs her 'help' 🙄

View attachment 156308

Because what every young black man who grew up in poverty and got himself out of it and then decides to help practically at his own cost - and succeeds - needs is a middle class white woman to claim credit for his achievements - we're hopefully a long way past needing everything to be filtered through white faces to be palatable to the public.

It's not the bleeping Black and White Minstrel show, after all.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Can anyone remember, may have been back in the heady days of “yore” (DKL time?) someone posted some really great information about food banks and how to donate sensibly to them? Who was that volunteer? I’ve being trying to find the post but it’s too hard. I know I’m sounding like my 10 year old faced with another maths worksheet here, but as JM’s lawyer and printer ink supply company will attest, there’s a LOT of posts to go through...

note, I’m really looking for actual guidance here, not just letting you know I’m about to make, in the words of The Saw Doctors, “an ostentatious contribution” 😜, Jack-stylee
I'm doing a mini-Grunka, but I did have to stop mid-catchup to enjoy that little Saw Doctors call out. Now I have that as an earworm!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I think she’s managed to say something that has offended all of us at some point. I imagine it’s what brought us here like waifs and strays. Ultimately she’s so knee jerkily abrasive that her MH crown is utterly undeserved. Matt Haig annoys the hell out of me but I imagine him at least scanning a tweet wondering whether there’s anything in it that may harm his brand, so to speak. She just doesn’t think things through, and then when she’s cornered or even gently rebuked she attacks. Like poor old not dearly departed ‘Viv’ Westwood, and the bloody pictures from her foot.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.