Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember there being huge backlash over this and Jack getting very defensive over her right to stockpile. It's a natural action to stockpile - apparently psychologists see it as us trying to take back control? But the COVID situation highlights how it should be avoided - so many vulnerable people couldnt access food because of selfish people.q
Stockpiling through panic buying though is completely different to stocking a fall back pantry over a long period of time. People who prepare in this way are not the panic buyers.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Can anyone remember, may have been back in the heady days of “yore” (DKL time?) someone posted some really great information about food banks and how to donate sensibly to them? Who was that volunteer? I’ve being trying to find the post but it’s too hard. I know I’m sounding like my 10 year old faced with another maths worksheet here, but as JM’s lawyer and printer ink supply company will attest, there’s a LOT of posts to go through...

note, I’m really looking for actual guidance here, not just letting you know I’m about to make, in the words of The Saw Doctors, “an ostentatious contribution” 😜, Jack-stylee

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Stockpiling through panic buying though is completely different to stocking a fall back pantry over a long period of time. People who prepare in this way are not the panic buyers.
I was going to say the same thing. Buying extra food over time doesn’t compare to the madness that was the supermarkets just before we went into lockdown.

Just before lockdown there was a couple at the next checkout from me who had around 3 months shopping.

I kept looking at peoples baskets. Loo roll. Pasta. Weetabix. Beige everything.

Like why would you buy all these beige foods in the event of a lockdown? I like food shopping and a couple of days in the local supermarket was just awful. Made me feel really miserable. Bare shelves, people panicking. Just not used to seeing supermarkets look like that.

If people can afford it I think it’s sensible to prepare for a no deal Brexit because god knows what the reality is going to be when we get there. Plus the effect on prices as well.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
Can anyone remember, may have been back in the heady days of “yore” (DKL time?) someone posted some really great information about food banks and how to donate sensibly to them? Who was that volunteer? I’ve being trying to find the post but it’s too hard. I know I’m sounding like my 10 year old faced with another maths worksheet here, but as JM’s lawyer and printer ink supply company will attest, there’s a LOT of posts to go through...

note, I’m really looking for actual guidance here, not just letting you know I’m about to make, in the words of The Saw Doctors, “an ostentatious contribution” 😜, Jack-stylee
Love a Saw Doctors reference...takes me right back..

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Let's be honest she's got no interest in food just in being a celeb.

She should have entered the first season of big brother. I think doing holiday competitions on this morning like Alison Hammond is the kind of 'job' she'd like, but it doesn't suit her personality.

Social media has lots of controls these days to make it easy to not see abusive posts, but she refuses to even turn off her DMs as she claims they're some kind of helpline. If someone is going out of their way to find offensive posts what can you do?
This really sums her up.
Her food ideas are terrible and during lockdown have been out of touch with what people can get hold of. The recipes she has cooked across her various opportunities have been unappetising and sloppily produced.
She mentions social change but hasn’t given her twitter over to black creatives or made any mention of Marcus Rashford’s campaign over the last few days when everyone was retweeting it.

She wants the celebrity status, the affirmation, the fandom but can’t use the controls put in place to help her. The way she behaved on the DK twitter account was shocking.

She won’t help her self, she is in a circle of fishing for compliments and lamenting her chaotic existence. She can continue to do that and it would be none of my business but I am annoyed about is how she is sucking people into her untruths both emotionally and I financially. There is also a great belief that she is doing loads of work for charities so others don’t need to bother, I don’t see much evidence of that work happening.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Maybe Marcus Rashford's success was puppet-mastered by Jack as part of her secret behind the scenes work to elevate black voices?

• Haha
Reactions: 41
Yeah you're right. I didn't imply that nuance and I don't think JM did either!

Reactions: 6
I'm with you @Nottonightbabe and @Motherwellgirl . Having well stocked cupboards meant we didnt go shopping for 3 weeks at the height of the panic buying pandemic. We still haven't been back to a big supermarket yet. We now get food deliveries from a butcher, greengrocer and milkman and visit a plastic free shop and a local sainsbury's for everything else. I've never panic bought, just bought 3 cans of beans instead of 2.

I think the idea of 'lockdown larder' was to use up the random stuff in your cupboards rather than face the shops. She did a stint on bbc five live that I listened to regarding bunging chutney in a curry. No further info given which led me to these threads in my chargrin at such useless information. (Think I've regailed this story before on here sorry not getting out much 😂)

If only she'd a) stuck to doing the lockdown larder at the same time every day and b) provided useful bleeping cooking tips she'd really have been a guiding light in these dark times. But nooooooooooo.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
GrunkaLunka'd my way through the last two threads, I completely forgot about the live.

I am worried about her though. She really doesn't look well in that last photo she posted. I hope this time she sticks to the Twitter break, she needs some self-care.

Reactions: 14
@LennyBriscoe
I can’t remember who the OP was but someone mentioned they thought JM was addicted to a Twitter. It’s weird because if I’m bored I’m straight on Tattle or Facebook mostly and it does change the way you feel (not always in a good way). If I was in the public eye and had a big following, I would definitely have a Social Media Manager too or if I didn’t need it for work, I would probably come off it.
Hope this quote works from the previous thread. I completely agree with this. I don’t know how many use mums chat and/or used to visit AIBU but I found that switching to the former from the latter made my style of posting more relaxed and not as aggressive in tone because I felt people weren’t being abrasive to me here, if that makes sense.

But one user mentioned they feel scared all of a sudden, which I don’t understand. If you don’t overshare, reveal personal things about you, give out identifying information about yourself.. what is there to be scared of?

And the issue of someone here might have allegedly sent messages personally to Jack via Twitter... but why is this scary? I personally find Twitter unpleasant as a whole and that’s why I don’t use it, but if I did I would turn the ability to turn personal messages off, and if I couldn’t do that I simply wouldn’t use Twitter in the first place, but if I HAD to because of my career, I would absolutely hire a social media manager to sort out all that clog that was sent to me so I didn’t have to see it on a daily basis.

I’m not sure if I’m judging it harshly because I don’t use it, or because it’s because Jack seems to be on it ALL the time (half of the time deleting past stuff, I reckon) but I don’t get why the whole “someone who is right wing from here is sending DMs to Jack” a few threads back thing scary and unsettling or wrong. (I hope nobody thinks this was me btw, I’m just saying my opinion): Who cares if someone who is registered on here and is registered on Twitter is using the service Twitter supplies and the Terms that both Jack and the Tattle(?) person both agreed to when registering on Twitter?

Of course I’m not saying this should be advocated or encouraged but I don’t get why a platform designed for people putting themselves on public speaking platforms in the digital age is being questioned whether people’s tweets (or “thoughts” if you will) are right or wrong or not. Again, this may be a lack of understanding on my part on how the site works or just reluctance from the overwhelming evidence supplied in these very threads to believe things that things that Jack says is truthful.

Reactions: 11
Let’s be honest. Lockdown Larder was started purely to spite THAT MAN. It was timed at exactly the same time each evening as his show on C4 and involved nothing more than replying, “Bung it in a curry/stew/soup” without a recipe for said curry, stew or soup.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
GrunkaLunka'd my way through the last two threads, I completely forgot about the live.

I am worried about her though. She really doesn't look well in that last photo she posted. I hope this time she sticks to the Twitter break, she needs some self-care.
She is definitely deliberately making herself look sick and thin to try and make Louisa feel guilty - I bet she loves it when people say they’re worried about her

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Future looking (which I know is hard given Covid) Jack should be looking to Brexit and how her tin can angle can work for her actual audience, which is white middle class lefties. Not that I believe people using food banks should be eating her misery slop.
This is a really good idea tbh - she should drop the book before Christmas because I think a lot of MC liberal hunnies gift her stuff out to their nieces/nephews/grandkids to help them cook on a budget, as if they're not existing solely off of frozen chips & pizza rather than pulverised tin meat? But they'll have gifts for all the fam now. It'd make so much more sense than a book of political analysis from someone who doesn't really get it.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

I've posted about community fridges before (link: https://www.hubbub.org.uk/the-community-fridge)

If you google your local foodbank it should be very easy to donate. At least it's at my local one - they always have a list up of what's needed. I don't know if this is the same nationwide, but they tend to ask for smaller sizes of things like oil and vinegar, sugar, tea and coffee. In my area they are usually well-stocked for pasta, cereal and baked beans. They are always short of things like decent tomato sauces (rather than just tinned tomatoes) , as if you have a bag of pasta and a jar of sauce you immediately have a meal and all you need is a single stove and a single pan.

I think giving things like garlic granules, dried herbs and spices, seasoning mixes, stock cubes etc, is useful. Many people don't think to donate this, but they last for ages and can really make a difference to a meal.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

I remember that post, don’t remember who wrote it but it was really thoughtful. It discussed not buying the cheapest basic value range but stepping up a level and buying treats too not just basic food. It was really good, and better than I am condensing it into!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I love that hashtag so much, it's so full of "Hi Jack, I have an apple. Should I eat it or just throw it in the bin?" "What can I do with salt?" "I hate cucumbers but I just bought five of them. Can I put them in a curry?"

Reminds me of one of her IG shows when a Hellman's employee sent in a message that was something like: "Help! I have an aubergine!"
So many questions, so little time. No wonder she has to work 25 hours a day.

• Haha
Reactions: 7

It was meeeee :)

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.