Jack Monroe #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
View attachment 156519

This genuinely makes me feel a bit sick. Blending lentils and beets with cheese?

Why would you do that when you can make Beetroot soup (microwave until you can peel them along with a potato, then blitz with stock, a splash of vinegar, preferably from a jar of pickled beetroot, add Dill, Lovage, Thyme, Rosemary or Horseradish depending upon taste), and MILLIONS of things with lentils (including the base for a veggie shepherds pie with onion, gravy granules and a good handful of oats, a carrot/peas/tin of unrinsed beans depending upon what you've got) - none of which involves buying cheese, tins of tomatoes (although they could be added to the lentils and turned into soup with some Tamarind paste), nreadcrumbs or pasta?

Reactions: 11
Some, and I stress, some, people have a sadistic streak in them, and it honestly permeates into your whole life. Some days I couldn’t be arsed with the fuss so would just mooch around with people who I knew would leave stuff.

Literally every time I get my library card out of my purse I think of my dinner card because the plastic feels the same. Brains!

thank you. 🥰🥰🥰
Big hugs, and dare I say chef's kiss?🤣🤣🤣😘
It baffled me for years why there was a seperate line. With adult hindsight it is obvious that my parents (along with others) paid a termly fee for lunches and we just collected our dished out slop on our tray (although the puddings were totally lush, pink custard and sponge pudding anyone?!!!!) we would just go to our seats. The subsidised kids had to queue up to present their card to have the box ticked to prove they'd eaten that day. But they weren't allowed seconds and the fresh fruit and bread and butter on offer obviously went over the allotted amount so they couldn't have them.
Secondary school was slightly different because we had to pay cash at the end of the queue as we picked whatever we wanted in the more 'cafe' style. The subsidised kids just told the woman at the end (it was always a woman!!!) their name and they marked it in a book.
I cannot fathom for the life of me the inhumanity of refusing a small child a second helping of fish fingers when you
a) know it is going to be chucked
b) know it is almost certainly the only hot meal that kid is going to get.
As a mother (and human) i would be shoving as much hot dinner into those kids as i could. I would also be turning a blind eye to any 'overspends'

Oop, sorry for the rant, it just all came pouring out!!!!!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 42
I really just want to reply to every single one of them 'just google it! ' (other search engines are available)
I know! These are people going about their daily lives pretending not to know this! It’s honestly fascinating to me. I wish I was brave! As it was I accidentally liked one of them and i’ve never reacted ao fast.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
It baffled me for years why there was a seperate line. With adult hindsight it is obvious that my parents (along with others) paid a termly fee for lunches and we just collected our dished out slop on our tray (although the puddings were totally lush, pink custard and sponge pudding anyone?!!!!) we would just go to our seats. The subsidised kids had to queue up to present their card to have the box ticked to prove they'd eaten that day. But they weren't allowed seconds and the fresh fruit and bread and butter on offer obviously went over the allotted amount so they couldn't have them.
Secondary school was slightly different because we had to pay cash at the end of the queue as we picked whatever we wanted in the more 'cafe' style. The subsidised kids just told the woman at the end (it was always a woman!!!) their name and they marked it in a book.
I cannot fathom for the life of me the inhumanity of refusing a small child a second helping of fish fingers when you
As a mother (and human) i would be shoving as much hot dinner into those kids as i could. I would also be turning a blind eye to any 'overspends'

I am so shocked to read this. I wasn't brought up in the UK and where I'm from school lunches are free for everyone. It's shocking there is/was this second tier system here. I would imagine that being pretty scarring for life.

You have a Maverick child....
Can I just say that gif makes my ovaries groan more than anchovies in mayo?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20

don’t apologise, lovely post. So sad how people sat in offices and thought that was ok to do to kids. This week has been really illuminating when people were literally having to argue the toss on whether to feed children. Food waste is the hill I will die on, I notice it everywhere I go (well, pre lockdown). Soaps and tv progs as well, whenever it’s not plastic food and they finger it all and then it just gets binned. 😞

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I am so shocked to read this. I wasn't brought up in the UK and where I'm from school lunches are free for everyone. It's shocking there is/was this second tier system here. I would imagine that being pretty scarring for life.
This was in the 70s and 80s so I hope it has improved.
I can only assume it has because my kids have not noticed any difference in the queuing system. They're older now (youngest is in secondary) and if she goes on a trip you get a letter saying you have to provide a pack lunch, if you've paid for lunches or get free school lunch a meal will be provided for you

Reactions: 8
The amount of times I’ve had to press the ‘haha’ button over the past few pages... you ladies and gents crack me up 😁

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
This was in the 70s and 80s so I hope it has improved.
I can only assume it has because my kids have not noticed any difference in the queuing system. They're older now (youngest is in secondary) and if she goes on a trip you get a letter saying you have to provide a pack lunch, if you've paid for lunches or get free school lunch a meal will be provided for you
yep, I must clarify i’m talking early 90’s.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
The hashtag wasn't exactly busting the Twitter algorithm tonight. Is it perhaps because all shops are open and well-stocked and food deliveries are happening to those who are shielding? Or is it because google is all up in her niche? We will never know.

Sorry but it’s our uniform for court now! 🤣
Can I add a Westwood-leaf for modesty, please?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.