Jack Monroe #259 “I’m alright Jack” Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
someone curiously missing from this article (i think i hear the faint sound of wailing and the ripping open tins of smartprice prunes with their bare hands...don't they know tinned fish is JACK'S ENTIRE NICHE etc etc)

I can’t believe it’s not Nutella! Chefs’ and food writers’ favourite grocery bargains | Life and style | The Guardian

View attachment 1068409
It does make me laugh when food people go on safaris to Lidl and can't resist making it clear that they don't eat their tinned fish in the same plebeian way as the poors. "I don't NEED to shop in Lidl. I go there for FUN."

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 64
someone curiously missing from this article (i think i hear the faint sound of wailing and the ripping open tins of smartprice prunes with their bare hands...don't they know tinned fish is JACK'S ENTIRE NICHE etc etc)

I can’t believe it’s not Nutella! Chefs’ and food writers’ favourite grocery bargains | Life and style | The Guardian

View attachment 1068409
So many of Jack's favourites in that article! Sardines, stock cubes, spaghetti, beans, ketchup and peanut butter. LOL at Judy Joo saying of the peanut butter that "importantly, it doesn't use palm oil" before going on to suggest that Nutella sub which lists palm oil second in its ingredients.

In other news, I've been entertaining myself a bit this morning by checking out the quote tweets of Jack's shopping list thread. Lots of negative ones, I've just captured a couple of my faves -

Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 10.43.32.png

Screenshot 2022-02-17 at 10.40.46.png

• Haha
Reactions: 124
It does make me laugh when food people go on safaris to Lidl and can't resist making it clear that they don't eat their tinned fish in the same plebeian way as the poors. "I don't NEED to shop in Lidl. I go there for FUN."
'going on culinary adventures' :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 42
She's being suspiciously quiet today after yesterday's deluge of sewage (both literal and figurative). Is she still on the squatty potty? I'm scared to check Twitter in case some moron has started a crowdfunder to buy her bog roll or something.

• Haha
Reactions: 55
There's so much unnecessary snobbery about food.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
The whole prune, bacon and anchovy combo always feels to me to be very Victorian/Edwardian, along with stuff like devilled kidneys and gentleman’s relish, maybe we’re on our way to a return of steampunk Jack? My husband accidentally bought a bag of prunes a couple of weeks ago, he was making a sticky toffee pudding for the first time and it turns out he didn’t know prunes and dates are not the same thing. Fortunately he realised before cooking it and got dates instead, but if he’d taken Jack’s approach to cooking, ingredients are all interchangeable especially if they look kind of similar, I dread to think what abomination he’d have served up.

BTW, I’m working on the transcript of the Sophie Ellis Bextor and Jack podcast requested last week, I should be posting it either today or tomorrow.
I hope you haven't subjected yourself to the whole thing. I feel guilty.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21

View attachment 1068409

oh, this is too funny! the dude saying waitrose extra virgin olive oil (£5/litre) is a bargain, i cannot!

and i wanna know which lidl these 2 are getting their sardines from cos they're still not in stock at mine 😤

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
She's being suspiciously quiet today after yesterday's deluge of sewage (both literal and figurative). Is she still on the squatty potty? I'm scared to check Twitter in case some moron has started a crowdfunder to buy her bog roll or something.
Someone offered to pay to print up Jacks stocktake notepads and give them out at food banks. They tagged the Trussell Trust.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 79
OMFG, SRIUSLY.
These people, I despair. Louder for the Tories up the back, empty cupboards are not a moral or intellectual failing.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 57
Someone offered to pay to print up Jacks stocktake notepads and give them out at food banks. They tagged the Trussell Trust.
This is funny but also enraging. They will not get it into their heads that people aren't using food banks because they're feckless, ignorant povvos who need taught how to be middle class. They are there because they are skint either long term or short term. They're just people some will be good at budgeting and cooking and others won't.

• Heart
Reactions: 67
FFS, if they're that bothered just donate a load of cheap pens and pads, plus the cash they'd have spent on printing. It's as bad and pointless as the t-shirt thing! Is that still a thing? It's gone awfully quiet.

• Haha
Reactions: 49
What’s actually happening with the T-shirt’s? Did TT get the money? I’m a bit lost with all that!

Reactions: 40
BTW, I’m working on the transcript of the Sophie Ellis Bextor and Jack podcast requested last week, I should be posting it either today or tomorrow.
Without doubt you will post it before the Venting Bum Index.

Jack, we have not forgotten about your VBI, even if your Twitter followers have.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 50
FFS, if they're that bothered just donate a load of cheap pens and pads, plus the cash they'd have spent on printing. It's as bad and pointless as the t-shirt thing! Is that still a thing? It's gone awfully quiet.
Shhh! She's hoping it'll all go away! 🤫

• Haha
Reactions: 33
The whole prune, bacon and anchovy combo always feels to me to be very Victorian/Edwardian, along with stuff like devilled kidneys and gentleman’s relish, maybe we’re on our way to a return of steampunk Jack? My husband accidentally bought a bag of prunes a couple of weeks ago, he was making a sticky toffee pudding for the first time and it turns out he didn’t know prunes and dates are not the same thing. Fortunately he realised before cooking it and got dates instead, but if he’d taken Jack’s approach to cooking, ingredients are all interchangeable especially if they look kind of similar, I dread to think what abomination he’d have served up.

I thought gentleman’s relish was a euphemism until I was about 30

• Haha
Reactions: 80
I hope you haven't subjected yourself to the whole thing. I feel guilty.
I very nearly have, I’m about 25 mins from the end. On one hand it’s slightly less pleasant than listening to the sound of grinding metal for an hour and a half, but on the other hand I’m a (very) mature first year uni student and it’s really good practice for note taking, pulling out relevant information from blather and presenting that information.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.