Jack Monroe #248 Let's face it, she's the Rachel Dolezal of poverty

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
View attachment 1020531
IT HASN’T BEEN 10 DAYS.
The ego has well and truly landed.
Although am grunking, who knows what's unfolding in the next four pages or so.
I would really love this game if it weren't against such a shameless conwoman.

She did as much as she could to block the opposition the one time we could have had a real alternative to the Tories with real life changing results for those she purports to be an activist for.
I hope one day she sees how she genuinely did have a chance to help drive some real positive change and stomped all over it so she she could hold court in the Groucho and make cutesy gauche fisting action videos with one of the landed gentry.
No idea about Dara's politics but as he fronted a show all about promoting Alan sugar and enemy of working parents Karren Brady I doubt we're aligned

• Heart
Reactions: 40
I've been racking my brains on this, I wondered if she meant our world? But the city name would be more appropriate. Detritus could take her in an intellectual challenge. On a hot day.
Roundworld is what our world is colloquially known as (in contrast to discworld). The city name would fit the quote better.

She probably counts like a troll "1, 2, 3, many ..." Explains her budgeting.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Is she trying for sponsorship with Fray Bentos? She mentions them twice in her pie list but no mention of any other brand on anything else I can see?
View attachment 1020574

ALSO

When I was dating David Beckham (saw him going into Blockbusters in Wilmslow once I explained to him the importance of not drinking and driving and that is why I did my bar qualifications and became besties with Kier Starmer (I saw him once in a meeting room at work).
You know what's annoying...listing bacon grill on there as if that's something someone in poverty SHOULD be eating...I think you'll find jack for the price per 100g actual bacon is cheaper?!

Don't even let me read the rest of the pov list

• Heart
I tend to donate things like sanitary products, micellar water, moisturizer then a few treat bits - nice biscuits, box of chocs etc. My thinking is that most people will donate the basics and I think it'd be nice for someone to have something to enjoy rather than eat out of necessity if that makes sense. My local one always asks for feminine products and skincare stuff but obv depends on where you are/what they ask for. Best to contact them and see what they need!
this plus pet food, kids packed lunch treats, cleaning products and mens toiletries is pretty much my standard. i wasn't suggesting anyone was wrong for whatever they donate - it's just Jack's narrative of what foodbank users need is so skewed i often wondered if i was the only person in the land not donating tinned spuds or sardines.
i've been known to take in school pencil case stuff, some kids pants/socks and even a christmas tree - all of which were gratefully received.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
48076791-F1EA-437D-A63B-FAFE3E79AA58.jpeg

Just checking in with some smart price spag evidence. I bought it too! It’s actually incredible how something can be so cheap with all the growing, shipping, storing, driving, packing, labelling, stacking. All the labour, resources and materials. It is interesting that the smart price stuff isn’t on their website anymore though, has it been said why this is?

Lolling at jacks notebook and biro, I was genuinely joking when I said she’d try do it on the back of a fag packet but here we are.

• Haha
Reactions: 54
Roundworld is what our world is colloquially known as (in contrast to discworld). The city name would fit the quote better.

She probably counts like a troll "1, 2, 3, many ..." Explains her budgeting.
I suspected so, but definitely reads like a Google to me.

Reactions: 14
You know what's annoying...listing bacon grill on there as if that's something someone in poverty SHOULD be eating...I think you'll find jack for the price per 100g actual bacon is cheaper?!

Don't even let me read the rest of the pov list
Is bacon grill still a thing?

that takes me back to being a youngen!

Reactions: 18
Imagine being Jack and having to pull this Vimes Bootstrap thing out of your arse over the next 2 weeks. It is a mammouth task - the ONS figures are probably from a full team of trained social science researchers and staticians working year round. Some scribblings on a jotter and Excel sheet won't cut it. Could you even be arsed 😂

I know she won't for reasons discussed but I don't envy her right now. ADHD frauen assemble - before I knew I had it and used to overpromise, the bit where you realise you actually have to do it and start putting it off is the worst.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 68
out of interest, for those who donate to food banks, what do you donate? i don't think i've ever donated a can of anything.
My local food bank has a space in the big Sainsburys with a whiteboard detailing what they are currently in need of so I just get what I can from the list when possible as I’m not sure what else is appropriate/actually useful? Recommendations appreciated though!

• Heart
Thinking more from her shopping list; I honestly think the last time I bought tinned fruit was back in secondary school for food tech! Wouldn't frozen fruit be a better thing to compare, you save a small fortune and cut food waste getting frozen instead of fresh.

And why isn't anyone on Twitter pointing out she promoted Del Monte. She claimed they were better and worth paying nearly triple the price for. Won't someone see some bloody sense?!

• Wow
Reactions: 44
My local food bank has a space in the big Sainsburys with a whiteboard detailing what they are currently in need of so I just get what I can from the list when possible as I’m not sure what else is appropriate/actually useful? Recommendations appreciated though!
I always donate cash as my local food bank accepts it, I know that it helps them be consistent in the packs they are providing as they know what they need more of etc

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I always donate cash as my local food bank accepts it, I know that it helps them be consistent in the packs they are providing as they know what they need more of etc
I will enquire re cash, also some good examples upthread I hadn’t thought of - THANKYOU AND duck OFF xx

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 35
Foodbank: regular money donations (direct debit) are probably best. Cash or whatever local foodbank has on their list second best. Whatever you fancy also totally fine. Tinned prunes are, however, unacceptable.

((Disappointed (Vimes Boots Index) is not yet live. Thought it was a mammoth job for (last) weekend. (Nevermind), I'll (be) ready to analyse it forensically in less than three weeks (no more extensions after that, please)).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
out of interest, for those who donate to food banks, what do you donate? i don't think i've ever donated a can of anything.
Ours sends a list (I donate via school) but I always put in sanitary items, shower stuff etc. And foodwise I try to put branded stuff in rather then value.

Reactions: 24
That list is mainly food products a dietician would put in the eat occasionally and only if there‘s absolutely nothing else pile. So high fat, high salt and ultra processed. But then she includes new potatoes! So they (whoever her index is aimed at and I’m not sure) eat tinned pies and fruit but don’t you dare expect them to eat standard in season potatoes. 🙄

Reactions: 38
Jack seems to eat like it's still the Winter of Discontent. Most people under a certain age (including hers) don't.
Agreed. Is Angel Delight on her list coz that was a proper treat back in the 80’s, which is where it looks like she got her ideas for this from.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.