Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just woken up and checked Twitter (obviously!) and she’s trending! So many people are talking about this maybe more people will start to notice she’s not as she seems? (Cleans round the place in anticipation of newbie tattlers joining us on the dark side!)
I feel sorry for a couple of people on there who are speaking out as her fans are on the attack with the usual “how can you say she can’t have nice things”

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Sudden realisation this morning that the sort of ink and paper used for receipts isn't stable. That tit fades, and any sort of moisture on the paper damages it too.

How likely are these 10+ years old receipts of one person's household which has fluctuated in size, location, wealth, changing culinary tastes and so many more variables going to yield any useful data?

The narcisism to believe that your shopping receipts hold any meaningful information. 🤣
Indeed! I think the thermal paper issue has been mentioned here but not over there 👉 by squigs. Yet…

…imagine if you will unstable thermal paper dumped in a box in a damp garage and trampled on by “burglars”. I hope CSI Southend took good care of this crucial evidence when she reported her recent burglaries and are painstakingly reconstructing them using their TVWhatever technology so they can continue to be forensically examined for this Idiotic Index Dataset…

Luckily though Ocado also email your receipt so that will be easy for her to check the past few years’ worth of deliveries to the crappy bungalow ….

* As if

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
if we are to believe her drinking (expensive) formula story.
I’ve never been able to find it but somewhere one of her early press shots is her with some Aptamil 1 premade 1l bottles on the kitchen cupboards behind her, as others have pointed out SB would have been far too old for this but secondly it’s the most expensive option at £3.95 per litre, and idk if this was the case back then but we used this for a year and had about 5/6 nationwide shortages where we were paying friends and family to pick it up from their local supermarkets and post it, and the post was coming to over £20 per 4 bottles sent (and we’d get through 1.5 bottles per day !) so really not a cost effective option at all.

So wrt to having it in a cup of tea, would probably be more cost effective to get Fortnums milk delivered?

• Haha
  • Heart
Saw she was trending and got great --and immature--pleasure from clicking 'this trend is harmful or spammy' via the three little dots to its right.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Do none of these people have friends?

I get it's embarrassing having no money but if people are you're real friends they won't care. If any of my mates came to me for anything I and I could sort it I would and wouldn't question it or mention it.

I also think that reading her piece of people are literally starving goes deeper than just the price it beans, has civilisation became so selfish?
I'm not condoning thieving, but if you were actually at the point of starvation, you'd nick something. I would, and I'm pretty sure Jack has dropped hints.

There's also places that do soup runs, community cafes, nearly every religious group has a charity side to it, drop in centres, etc. People aren't all bad, I don't care what Jack says, I know from my own experiences and those of people I know. She knows absolutely duck all beyond I, Jack Monroe. She's a nasty, lying, scaremongering individual, doing far more harm than the good she'd have her squiggles believe.

• Heart
I just also wanted to go back to her bumlicking Iceland over their commitment to keeping their prices at £1. She does realise that £1 for a bag of pasta is actually 344%* more expensive than the examples of the expensive ones she quotes (70p per bag)?? Such a dim bulb.

*joke based on Jackanomics but the point remains

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 66
Sorry something else from the GMB interview. At 7:26 in response to being asked if she prayed expected to go viral she says: “I do something similar every year, um, whenever the inflation figures come up or sometimes just off the cuff I compare the prices off food products now to what they were a year ago, or 2 years ago, and they tend to get about 200 likes people tend to be like “oh yeah that’s Jack, banging on again.””

Does she? I had heard this mentioned earlier but assumed it was in the context of her own soft, private, invisible spreadsheets. She’s saying she does this every year publicly on Twitter, to a smol response, so there should be evidence.

Also the CPI figures are released monthly (correct me if I am wrong) they only hit the news when it’s noteworthy? But she says she does this annually “when the inflation figures come up.”

If it was annually it would be easier to compare and contrast her tweets around this time last year to see if she was indeed doing a v important thread, I might search her Twitter instead for keywords like “inflation” “rising” “basics” “costs” etc to see if she’s ever done this before.

• Heart
I just also wanted to go back to her bumlicking Iceland over their commitment to keeping their prices at £1. She does realise that £1 for a bag of pasta is actually 344%* more expensive than the examples of the expensive ones she quotes (70p per bag)?? Such a dim bulb.

*joke based on Jackanomics but the point remains
Iceland is one of the more expensive ones anyway. I used one of their Food Warehouses during lockdown as it was the only supermarket I didn’t have to queue for. I usually do a ‘big shop’ at Aldi and it costs me about £80. It was between £120-£140 every week at Iceland.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I just saw 'naked shameless racketeering' and 'I've already done it'.
😂

The point about different brands being the same but in different packaging is true to an extent. How much it applies across different price points I don't know though.

Reactions: 18
Finally caught up! Many Frauen have already made the points that I wanted to make while I was reading, but bleeping hell. What a wild ride.

1) Don't panic, this will pass. Jack seems to have a knack for going viral once a year, and always in Q1: in 2020, it led to the GENIUS that was Daily Morning Kitchen, and in 2021 we had that weird photo crying at Rishi Sunak that led to her appearing on the news and allegedly being cut off for calling Boris Johnson a narcissist. This is the latest version, and it will fizzle out soon.

2) That being said, this is particularly insidious. It's incredibly irresponsible to tell people, many of whom are already in a bad mental state, that they're going to starve to death. A week or so ago (a lifetime in thread terms), I linked to an old article of Jack's where she went into inappropriate detail about named individuals' suicides, describing their methods and claiming to know their reasons. This has the same gleeful air of appropriation about it. Jack would absolutely love it if some poor people starved to death. Think of the media opportunities she'd get!

3) The blue tickers who are fawning over her...sorry, but lol. I know a lot of you are big Nigella fans - I'm really, really not - but the idea that she has any clue about the realities of poverty is laughable. Ditto Hugh Grant. This has always been Jack's MO: she can tell absurd stories about poverty, because people with no experience of it will believe her. Then these stories scare people who actually live in poverty, because they start to think, "Oh god, if things don't improve I'll be nibbling stock cubes and selling my lightbulbs." Eventually, a lot of them come around, because they realise that nope, NOBODY nibbles stock cubes and sells their lightbulbs. But the lifelong rich continue to enable her.

4) The basic premise of her rant is flawed, and not just mathematically. First, as has been pointed out, she ignores cultural considerations. Just because someone is poor does not mean they want to eat the vile slurry that is tinned spaghetti, FFS! Take lamb: at the supermarket I use, it takes up very little shelf space. But there's a Moroccan butcher's shop in my neighbourhood which sells a lot more cuts at lower prices. Is that because the Moroccan immigrants are enjoying a jolly knees-up night after night? No, it's because they tend to cook with lamb a lot more than Catalans do. The UK is far, far more ethnically diverse, so this happens on a much wider scale. Then of course she ignores the fact that budget products have been rebranded in an effort to compete with Aldi and Lidl, because Harvest Moon and Crunchy Croc sound nicer than Value and Smart Price.

5) The Vimes analogy makes absolutely no sense in this context. It's also - and with all due respect to Terry Pratchett, who was a great author and an extremely impressive individual - just a more eloquent way of saying "buy cheap, buy twice." This does not apply to food. It does apply to other basic products (washing up liquid, for example), but Jack has never given a tit about those.

6) Speaking of which...I'll say it again: JACK WAS NEVER POOR. I forensically examined her output during the Poverty years a while back, and she was lying from day one - I think it's all on the wiki. In the early years she detailed the massive rent she willingly paid, the cats she adopted at the height of her poverty, the random businesses she kept starting, etc etc. Look at that Sunday People article. She keeps saying how during the Poverty she was so skinny from malnutrition, but...she wasn't? Like, the photo is right there, we have other photos from that time, she was a perfectly healthy weight, she was not starving, duck off Jack.

7) Related to this - when I looked through Jack's old blog archive, it became clear that her first priced recipes were part of the Live Below the Line challenge, which she used to do every year. The thing is, when you look at her old challenges, you realise that she doesn't actually know how to shop on a microbudget. She's always buying things like stock cubes or mixed herbs or jars of lemon curd for 30p, out of a budget of 5£ for 5 days. If you have 5£ for 5 days, it makes NO sense to buy nutritionally void flavourings like mixed herbs or stock cubes; that 30p could buy you a tin of beans, which would provide protein for 2 meals.

8) In fact, here's an example of Vimes maths: there was one old blog I read where she recommended buying stock cubes instead of salt, which is utterly bleeping insane. Salt is far more versatile, is used for baking bread. A bag of salt will last you a year, while a pack of 10 stock cubes will last you...10 meals. You'll spend far, far more on stock cubes than you would on salt if you take Jack's advice.

9) Here's a question: what could a budget-focused recipe writer actually do that's useful in the face of rising inflation? If I were Jack - and in this scenario we'll pretend that Jack actually knows something about food - I'd be pursuing a partnership with Aldi or Lidl. They have the most diverse special offers of any supermarkets (here at least, I assume it's the same in the UK), and they change every week. Wouldn't it be great to have a recipe writer with a deal to say "This week is Japanese Week at Lidl! Here are 5 simple, cheap dishes you can make with their discount products" or "Cabbage is in the Super 6 this week! Why not try one of my great cabbage recipes?" That would be a lot more useful than blindly flailing away at Twitter.

10) Finally: I for one am ecstatic that the last time she went THIS viral she had the kumquat, and this time she has Boris Johnson hair. Great look there, Jack!

• Heart
Reactions: 124
I'm intrigued by the silence of the Vittles crowd. You'd think she'd be their demographic. I am a bit cheered by this.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
It shows what utter Dickensian drivel she spouts. How would someone who moved home eleventysix times, lived rough etc etc, sold their child’s toys et al manage to lug bleeping Asda receipts about the south east?
I'm just saying again; she was able to instantly locate the box with all the press clippings in (and eye patch lol), so where are the receipts, Jack?!

(She's also said there's now 70 boxes of tit in the garage, those burglars must have bought stuff back on their second visit!)

Finally caught up! Many Frauen have already made the points that I wanted to make while I was reading, but bleeping hell. What a wild ride.

1) Don't panic, this will pass. Jack seems to have a knack for going viral once a year, and always in Q1: in 2020, it led to the GENIUS that was Daily Morning Kitchen, and in 2021 we had that weird photo crying at Rishi Sunak that led to her appearing on the news and allegedly being cut off for calling Boris Johnson a narcissist. This is the latest version, and it will fizzle out soon.

2) That being said, this is particularly insidious. It's incredibly irresponsible to tell people, many of whom are already in a bad mental state, that they're going to starve to death. A week or so ago (a lifetime in thread terms), I linked to an old article of Jack's where she went into inappropriate detail about named individuals' suicides, describing their methods and claiming to know their reasons. This has the same gleeful air of appropriation about it. Jack would absolutely love it if some poor people starved to death. Think of the media opportunities she'd get!

3) The blue tickers who are fawning over her...sorry, but lol. I know a lot of you are big Nigella fans - I'm really, really not - but the idea that she has any clue about the realities of poverty is laughable. Ditto Hugh Grant. This has always been Jack's MO: she can tell absurd stories about poverty, because people with no experience of it will believe her. Then these stories scare people who actually live in poverty, because they start to think, "Oh god, if things don't improve I'll be nibbling stock cubes and selling my lightbulbs." Eventually, a lot of them come around, because they realise that nope, NOBODY nibbles stock cubes and sells their lightbulbs. But the lifelong rich continue to enable her.

4) The basic premise of her rant is flawed, and not just mathematically. First, as has been pointed out, she ignores cultural considerations. Just because someone is poor does not mean they want to eat the vile slurry that is tinned spaghetti, FFS! Take lamb: at the supermarket I use, it takes up very little shelf space. But there's a Moroccan butcher's shop in my neighbourhood which sells a lot more cuts at lower prices. Is that because the Moroccan immigrants are enjoying a jolly knees-up night after night? No, it's because they tend to cook with lamb a lot more than Catalans do. The UK is far, far more ethnically diverse, so this happens on a much wider scale. Then of course she ignores the fact that budget products have been rebranded in an effort to compete with Aldi and Lidl, because Harvest Moon and Crunchy Croc sound nicer than Value and Smart Price.

5) The Vimes analogy makes absolutely no sense in this context. It's also - and with all due respect to Terry Pratchett, who was a great author and an extremely impressive individual - just a more eloquent way of saying "buy cheap, buy twice." This does not apply to food. It does apply to other basic products (washing up liquid, for example), but Jack has never given a tit about those.

6) Speaking of which...I'll say it again: JACK WAS NEVER POOR. I forensically examined her output during the Poverty years a while back, and she was lying from day one - I think it's all on the wiki. In the early years she detailed the massive rent she willingly paid, the cats she adopted at the height of her poverty, the random businesses she kept starting, etc etc. Look at that Sunday People article. She keeps saying how during the Poverty she was so skinny from malnutrition, but...she wasn't? Like, the photo is right there, we have other photos from that time, she was a perfectly healthy weight, she was not starving, duck off Jack.

7) Related to this - when I looked through Jack's old blog archive, it became clear that her first priced recipes were part of the Live Below the Line challenge, which she used to do every year. The thing is, when you look at her old challenges, you realise that she doesn't actually know how to shop on a microbudget. She's always buying things like stock cubes or mixed herbs or jars of lemon curd for 30p, out of a budget of 5£ for 5 days. If you have 5£ for 5 days, it makes NO sense to buy nutritionally void flavourings like mixed herbs or stock cubes; that 30p could buy you a tin of beans, which would provide protein for 2 meals.

8) In fact, here's an example of Vimes maths: there was one old blog I read where she recommended buying stock cubes instead of salt, which is utterly bleeping insane. Salt is far more versatile, is used for baking bread. A bag of salt will last you a year, while a pack of 10 stock cubes will last you...10 meals. You'll spend far, far more on stock cubes than you would on salt if you take Jack's advice.

9) Here's a question: what could a budget-focused recipe writer actually do that's useful in the face of rising inflation? If I were Jack - and in this scenario we'll pretend that Jack actually knows something about food - I'd be pursuing a partnership with Aldi or Lidl. They have the most diverse special offers of any supermarkets (here at least, I assume it's the same in the UK), and they change every week. Wouldn't it be great to have a recipe writer with a deal to say "This week is Japanese Week at Lidl! Here are 5 simple, cheap dishes you can make with their discount products" or "Cabbage is in the Super 6 this week! Why not try one of my great cabbage recipes?" That would be a lot more useful than blindly flailing away at Twitter.

10) Finally: I for one am ecstatic that the last time she went THIS viral she had the kumquat, and this time she has Boris Johnson hair. Great look there, Jack!
This needs to be a counter thread to Jack's bs piece.

Well bloody said CL! ❤

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 42
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.