Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why is she acting like a leg of lamb is an outlandishly extravagant thing to buy and cook? Is it because it doesn't slop, Jack?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
So in terms of retailer response there’s not a lot in it for them tbh. She’s doing the unarguable - it’s awful, folk are poor and somebody has to do something. That something of course will Peter out and they, retailers, know it because people need to buy food and also the clarion call is coming from someone who has the sticking potential of a used plaster. She seems to be engineering a situ that producers go out of business so she can buy her favoured teas at her affordable price. I do believe this is a carry on being played out in middle class twitteratti. If it gets beyond Monday in the media I’ll be unpleasantly surprised.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I dunno guys, I think at this point if it came to mass attention about her unpaid taxes, the idiot squigs would have a go fund her set up and donations rolling in within seconds.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 60
I know Rhianna Pratchett has retweeted her, but isn't she going to hit some serious legal problems with the Pratchett estate if she continues to call it the Vimes Boots Index?
Considering that the Pratchett estate went in hard on small independent yarn companies using Discworld colour names (while donating a percentage to Alzheimer's charities) I sincerely hope it will do the same to Jack

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
They still can’t publish lies- the first paragraph may be her opinion but there is other stuff that is not true.
I’m afraid they can, it’s an opinion piece the bar is very, very low for fact checking op-ed. As the Graun thinks itself above moderation by its peers it chooses to moderate itself. There is nothing more dangerous than a self moderating press.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
I dunno guys, I think at this point if it came to mass attention about her unpaid taxes, the idiot squigs would have a go fund her set up and donations rolling in within seconds.
Yes I agree. It’ll all be spun as PTSD/alcoholism meant I couldn’t do it etc.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 44
Can’t believe I’ve just had to have a conversation with what’s essentially a JOB induced squiggle - and even worse we’re married.

I said don’t you think if that (the savings comment) was true we’d be bleeping hemmorhaging money? Don’t you think we’d have noticed?! And he said no because we can afford it it’s worse for poor people - like this tit is insane? Jack is creating this idea that you’ve got poor poor Dickensian urchins of people or billionaires, *everyone* has a finite amount of cash that price fluctuations eat into??? Every budget is harmed by inflation, obviously it’s worse when it’s heating or eating and not heating or a city break but nevertheless this isn’t some conspiracy as she pushes!!

I also asked the price of some household goods and he told me what I assume was the 1999 prices of them - so in the nicest way this is someone who can’t even do a fag packet fact check re: the 344%.

I said look it’s okay if you agree with her but please do the research eg King Chris, academic peer reviewed research and he goes “oh I’m not reading all that”. This is who Jack’s content is for - lazy but well intentioned liberals who don’t get it but desperately wish they did. And Jack’s spreading misinformation to them!!!

I honestly don’t know what to do with the de-programming, I feel like an anti vaxxer? Like are we insane?!!! This is so clearly bollocks she’s not substantiated ANY of these claims, how has this been given the legs it has?!?!?!
We are not the fake news
She is
Stay strong - we are not insane

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Ha, it used to be Mr Terrible’s job to commission government reports - I once asked him if they’d commission a cookbook writer with three and a half O levels. He looked at me like I were a bit simple.
Anyone remember that report she reckons she was part of, that strangely had her name omitted?

I’m looking forward to this report. It’ll be out of date (if it ever was in) the very minute it’s finished.
So it wouldn’t be worth me doing a forensic FOI to track them all down? I’d be happy to but I know they are a massive pain in the arse.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
. If it gets beyond Monday in the media I’ll be unpleasantly surprised
So true - she’s elated because she thought MR had finished her for-profit activism & this is a second chance. But one viral thread maketh a living not, the next few weeks/months of content is going to be like when a real housewife launches a skincare or wine brand….. 🦗🦗🦗🦗

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
I’m glad she’s been quiet today as I have been out with my pre-teen child like a normal parent, and I can’t be bothered with the grunk.

the best thing about the index is there is zero chance of her doing it. Collating large quantities of data. How’s that then? Walking to Asda with a notebook? Because obviously the pricing and stock in her Asda is the only thing that matters. Bollocks.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
Terry Pratchett knew a con artist when he saw one - he would have some choice words for Jack.

But then his good friend Neil Gaiman married Amanda Palmer

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 50
It's always infuriating when an opinion piece is published with no right of reply below the line. Seems in poor spirit.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 45
It's always infuriating when an opinion piece is published with no right of reply below the line. Seems in poor spirit.
I think it's because it's in the Observer rather than the Guardian, the Obs never seems to allow comments.

Reactions: 30
See how she uses the words to not only place herself in the middle of everything but also reinforce that she’s ‘one of the poors’. Utter charlatan. 😡

View attachment 1007815
Agreed. It's so subtle too, it's her biggest talent - on a funnier note though, she considers herself *the sharpest* of economists and mathematicians... Bloody hell, she genuinely believes that she is an authority on economics. Her ego really does know no bounds...

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 43
Maybe people will care enough to @ her on twitter.
I had thought her talking about the value pasta being unavailable was her walking back her statements about price increases, yet she then goes on to mither about the rice and ready meals again. She could argue, if its not there and you can't buy it the result is the same, she will have to have a cover story somehow.

Reactions: 19
Everything she ever does seems to have no area for any feedback. Magazine articles, podcasts, social media posts with comments turned off. She can't hack an actual back and forth conversation and neither can her doting squigs!

Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.