Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can’t believe I’ve just had to have a conversation with what’s essentially a JOB induced squiggle - and even worse we’re married.

I said don’t you think if that (the savings comment) was true we’d be bleeping hemmorhaging money? Don’t you think we’d have noticed?! And he said no because we can afford it it’s worse for poor people - like this tit is insane? Jack is creating this idea that you’ve got poor poor Dickensian urchins of people or billionaires, *everyone* has a finite amount of cash that price fluctuations eat into??? Every budget is harmed by inflation, obviously it’s worse when it’s heating or eating and not heating or a city break but nevertheless this isn’t some conspiracy as she pushes!!

I also asked the price of some household goods and he told me what I assume was the 1999 prices of them - so in the nicest way this is someone who can’t even do a fag packet fact check re: the 344%.

I said look it’s okay if you agree with her but please do the research eg King Chris, academic peer reviewed research and he goes “oh I’m not reading all that”. This is who Jack’s content is for - lazy but well intentioned liberals who don’t get it but desperately wish they did. And Jack’s spreading misinformation to them!!!

I honestly don’t know what to do with the de-programming, I feel like an anti vaxxer? Like are we insane?!!! This is so clearly bollocks she’s not substantiated ANY of these claims, how has this been given the legs it has?!?!?!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 87
I know Rhianna Pratchett has retweeted her, but isn't she going to hit some serious legal problems with the Pratchett estate if she continues to call it the Vimes Boots Index?

• Wow
Reactions: 47
Can’t believe I’ve just had to have a conversation with what’s essentially a JOB induced squiggle - and even worse we’re married.

I said don’t you think if that (the savings comment) was true we’d be bleeping hemmorhaging money? Don’t you think we’d have noticed?! And he said no because we can afford it it’s worse for poor people - like this tit is insane? Jack is creating this idea that you’ve got poor poor Dickensian urchins of people or billionaires, *everyone* has a finite amount of cash that price fluctuations eat into??? Every budget is harmed by inflation, obviously it’s worse when it’s heating or eating and not heating or a city break but nevertheless this isn’t some conspiracy as she pushes!!

I also asked the price of some household goods and he told me what I assume was the 1999 prices of them - so in the nicest way this is someone who can’t even do a fag packet fact check re: the 344%.

I said look it’s okay if you agree with her but please do the research eg King Chris, academic peer reviewed research and he goes “oh I’m not reading all that”. This is who Jack’s content is for - lazy but well intentioned liberals who don’t get it but desperately wish they did. And Jack’s spreading misinformation to them!!!

I honestly don’t know what to do with the de-programming, I feel like an anti vaxxer? Like are we insane?!!! This is so clearly bollocks she’s not substantiated ANY of these claims, how has this been given the legs it has?!?!?!
This was my morning.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 32
Long time lurker, but without wanting to 🔺 myself, I work on commissioned government research projects… she has no idea what the difference is between commissioned research and consultations. Government do hundreds of consultations a year where they gather info, a lot of which are open to the public so literally any Tom, Jack or Harry could take part. She has no research background, no statistical background… why the hell would she be funded and commissioned to do research??

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 84
The day that HMRC go for her unpaid taxes publically will be the day I will probably have to leave tattle as I won’t be able to help crossing over to laugh! Hopefully I get to stay a little longer but am really wondering how she is planning to monetise this current index….. there’s obviously a grift opportunity or she wouldn’t have stuck it for more than a day

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 61
Long time lurker, but without wanting to 🔺 myself, I work on commissioned government research projects… she has no idea what the difference is between commissioned research and consultations. Government do hundreds of consultations a year where they gather info, a lot of which are open to the public so literally any Tom, Jack or Harry could take part. She has no research background, no statistical background… why the hell would she be funded and commissioned to do research??
She has FORENSIC RECEIPTS that’s go into GRANULAR detail!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 44
Anecdata, but when I got my first sheep in 2016, a 20kg sack of ewe rolls was £5.70. It's now £9.50. Other farming costs have gone up similarly and wool is down to about 30p a kg, so we lose about £1.20 for every sheep shorn.
Silly question if the price of wool has dropped, why hasn’t the cost of wool products dropped also?

Reactions: 21
I’m prepared for Discworld to be the hill I die on, but I bet she’s never picked up one of Sir Terry’s books.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
This was my morning.
Honestly we need a frau support group as I’m actually gutted that he’s showing such a lack of critical thinking and willingness to listen/grow, even worse is he knows I do the Patreon update for this thread (and pay to host that database, so it actually matters to me!) *because* she’s a scammer and he’s said before he can’t believe people read it (love you guys lol x) so to just assume she’s legit because JOB has platformed her is so so tit.

Again it shows how dangerous a lack of fact checking in the media is - whilst all the guardian foodies were giggling in comments it’s ur lot that elevated her to this point, and it’s on every media outlet that you’ve got nanas donating their winter fuel allowance to a ltd company director. She is a tit Elizabeth Holmes just with no skill set to get that far with it!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 83
Silly question if the price of wool has dropped, why hasn’t the cost of wool products dropped also?
Because costs have gone up for a lot of other processes in the system, mainly fuel-related. Very roughly you'll get one jumper out of one fleece, so the wool has never been a big part of the price of the final product.

Oh, and the reason the cost of shearing has gone up is that we haven't had the gangs of lads and lasses over from Australia and New Zealand for the last couple of years, due to Covid, so there's been a big shortage of people able to do it.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 47
I know Rhianna Pratchett has retweeted her, but isn't she going to hit some serious legal problems with the Pratchett estate if she continues to call it the Vimes Boots Index?
I am hoping that there is a letter already winging its way to 1 Israel Street, Israel.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.