Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
With 2 heavy baskets and her calculator and her notepad and trying to remember all the prices of everything she has
I mean she could use her phone instead of a notepad and take photos of the prices she has claimed have gone up 344% but easier to just produce a thermal receipt that faded away 5 years ago, I guess. If you don’t have actual evidence, no one can question it
95E044C3-4768-45F1-90DD-52A7754F2593.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
save on containers for your dried herbs/table salt for the bath/questionable slime by stealing milk bottles from the milkman

#jackshacks was truly a golden era
Soap in the slow cooker has to be a J1G idea

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 45
You can save washing up liquid by decanting it into empty milk bottles, rather than just adding a drop or two of tap water to the original bottle. It’s amazing, honestly. I don’t know where I’d be without these superior nuggets of housekeeping wisdom.
Something else you can also do to save money is have your child prefer to live with their other parent to avoid your narcy social media addiction. Raising children is quite spenny so you should save quite a lot!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
Ignorance truly is bliss. In a way I'm jealous of the squigs. They seem so happy blindly fawning over her nonsense.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I know bugger all about price indexes or such and haven't taken a 10 year granular interest in such things, but I was listening to Farming Today this morning and something struck me about Jackanomics. She seems to have no curiosity or interest in the production of food or farming or why some foodstuffs might be getting more expensive eg her assertion apples are smaller and more expensive - is there a reason for this? Have weather conditions affected the apple harvest? She seems to think food production is a static thing - and pricing is just decided arbitrarily to annoy poor people. She might be right - but I have seen no evidence of her looking into any reasons for food price increases other than 'prices have gone up and this is wrong'. I have no idea myself, but don't pretend to be an expert.

• Heart
Reactions: 86
I know bugger all about price indexes or such and haven't taken a 10 year granular interest in such things, but I was listening to Farming Today this morning and something struck me about Jackanomics. She seems to have no curiosity or interest in the production of food or farming or why some foodstuffs might be getting more expensive eg her assertion apples are smaller and more expensive - is there a reason for this? Have weather conditions affected the apple harvest? She seems to think food production is a static thing - and pricing is just decided arbitrarily to annoy poor people. She might be right - but I have seen no evidence of her looking into any reasons for food price increases other than 'prices have gone up and this is wrong'. I have no idea myself, but don't pretend to be an expert.
This is a VERY good point. There’s a lot of complexity to this issue.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I mean she could use her phone instead of a notepad and take photos of the prices she has claimed have gone up 344% but easier to just produce a thermal receipt that faded away 5 years ago, I guess. If you don’t have actual evidence, no one can question it
I just want to see evidence of these receipts even exist. All it would take is a photo, one photo. No one has called her out on having these receipts, they just blindly believe the lying little shrew.

She really is a worthless addition to society, only pretending to care to line her own pockets, too useless to do anything else but scream into an echo chamber. Hope her parents are real proud of the utter nightmare they bestowed onto the world.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I just want to see evidence of these receipts even exist. All it would take is a photo, one photo. No one has called her out on having these receipts, they're just blindly believe the lying little shrew.

She really is a worthless addition to society, only pretending to care to line her own pockets, too useless to do anything else but scream into an echo chamber. Hope her parents are real proud of the utter nightmare they bestowed onto the world.
Sadly for them I think they really care about her - I noticed her dad (when I was spying) raised money for Mermaids when she was going through you-think-I’m-not-butch-I’ll-show-you-butch-Allegra transman phase.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
Sadly for them I think they really care about her - I noticed her dad (when I was spying) raised money for Mermaids when she was going through you-think-I’m-not-butch-I’ll-show-you-butch-Allegra transman phase.
They've enabled her for years. Even let her throw them under the bus. I've no sympathy for them.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Sorry if someone has already stated or talked about this but it’s all very well prices of food going up but what I’d you can’t afford to put the oven/hob/slow cooker on if you can’t afford your fuel bills? We know the cost of food is increasing but what is also needed are quick, simple, nutritious meals that require either minimum cooking, or are maybe microwaveable. Most of Jacks recipes require a fortnight’s simmering.
Rice might have gone up 344% but If you don’t want to put a ring on for 15 mins to cook it, it might as well be £0 or £200.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
You are 100% correct - the prices will not just be arbitrarily decided. Costs (farmers, manufacturing, transport), profits, loss leaders, TV campaigns. It will all be a factor.
It isn't mentioned as it doesn't suit the narrative. Farming is a hard business with variable profit. It costs to get food on our shelves.
We've been very lucky the last 10-15 years with the cost and variety of food. Would love to see food costs as a percentage of income (actual & disposable) compared to the 80s when it was most of my mum's disposal income to feed us. Maybe the MonOpus will feature such data?

• Heart
Reactions: 48
Anecdata, but when I got my first sheep in 2016, a 20kg sack of ewe rolls was £5.70. It's now £9.50. Other farming costs have gone up similarly and wool is down to about 30p a kg, so we lose about £1.20 for every sheep shorn.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 67
Anecdata, but when I got my first sheep in 2016, a 20kg sack of ewe rolls was £5.70. It's now £9.50. Other farming costs have gone up similarly and wool is down to about 30p a kg, so we lose about £1.20 for every sheep shorn.
I've heard similar about the price of eggs from a friend who has a shop and buys direct from local producers. Feed for the hens has gone up by a third in the last 3 months so the price of eggs will have to follow suit.

• Sad
Reactions: 40
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.