Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought we'd stopped doing that, and are going up the river to find out why people are coming downstream

She once suggested salad bag pesto i.e chopping sad/wilting salad leaves up with raw garlic and putting in a jar with olive oil then putting it over pasta like you could pesto. Spaghetti with bits of lettuce doesn’t sound appetising or like pesto. Lettuce is not interchangeable with basil and the pesto flavour is also from the pine nuts and Parmesan. I thought that was a waste of olive oil tbh.
Yeah, and there's no nutrition in old salad bag lettuce, anyway.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
It speaks monumental volumes that previous employers/colleagues of Jack have neither liked nor supported any of her narc nightmare.

Tom Kerridge & Marcus keeping tight lipped is especially telling.
Marcus never bites despite her fishing so hard so often. Odd there is literally no response from him ever considering they have worked together so often 🤔

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
Suitcases under those eyes.

the enormity of what she has promised will crash down and nothing will actually be produced. The media will have moved on and won’t care.

when No One is talking about her anymore - imagine the crushing darkness of the soul…
Narcissistic collapse is truly a scary thing. It’s really sad but they behave so wickedly, especially to those close to them that it’s kind of hard to care. Again, I know narcissist/narcissism are terms thrown around a lot these days which cheapens them somewhat, and I don’t know Jack personally, nor am I in any way qualified to diagnose a psychiatric disorder... but yeah... her family and friends are probably in for a bumpy ride.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Dissenters on the discord reddit posts have been removed by mods, sadly. :/ Hopefully it makes the curious google for their answers, but I suspect only positive Jack comments will just create more squigs.
Woke up to a permaban but it was worth it

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 44
Woke up to a permaban but it was worth it

Oh no!

I was going to post in support, but wasn't sure if it was breaking any rules.

Thought it was quite a clear, factual post imo, don't think any of it would take too long to verify. Not sure I understand the mod's argument, but there we go. I follow r/discworld but haven't posted, so seems I wouldn't be welcome to the debate either.

Reactions: 26
Oh no!

I was going to post in support, but wasn't sure if it was breaking any rules.

Thought it was quite a clear, factual post imo, don't think any of it would take too long to verify. Not sure I understand the mod's argument, but there we go. I follow r/discworld but haven't posted, so seems I wouldn't be welcome to the debate either.
I'm just hoping people saw the info before it was taken down and it shifted some people's minds

• Sad
Reactions: 22
‘Naked shameless racketeering’ by supermarkets who are apparently all working together (a highly illegal thing that is subject to codes of conduct with heavy penalties for anti competitive behaviour) but apparently nothing to do with the growth of Aldi and Lidl who have exploded over the last decade and undercut supermarket value ranges offering a wide variety of foods at the lowest prices in the market and who she just ignores or pretends don’t exist to suit her narrative
Yes, she just threw racketeering in there and that’s a very serious accusation. I don’t think she knows what it means.

duck me she's the front page of the People tomorrow!

View attachment 1008361
And that’s not irresponsible?! I know it’s the people… panic stations!

• Sad
Reactions: 34
Yes, she just threw racketeering in there and that’s a very serious accusation. I don’t think she knows what it means.

And that’s not irresponsible?! I know it’s the people… panic stations!
I think if someone accused her of that we all know what would happen.

• Sad
Reactions: 29
Genuinely can’t wait until they are published. She can’t hide her true financial situation for much longer surely.
I asked whether the taxes had been paid yet in the comments on FB on a guardian article. I await the barrage of her fans telling me it's not relevant to the story (er yes it is) and their Jack would never do such a thing (er yes they would)

My theory, and it's purely speculative, m'lud, is that there is no working party or crack team other than in Jack's fevered imagination. Neither is there an army of concerned friends making sure that she doesn't slip into a coma or have convulsions.
There is Jack, sitting in her 3/4 million pound rented house, wondering how the holy duck she is going to wriggle out of this one whilst praying for more well paid gigs in the meantime.
So it's a bit like Fight Club only she's forgotten nobody talks about it. If only she'd remember 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Anyone else only just realising that the Sunday People was still a thing? 😳

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
I thought we'd stopped doing that, and are going up the river to find out why people are coming downstream

Yeah, and there's no nutrition in old salad bag lettuce, anyway.
There might be ecoli though. Old bagged salad should be chucked. Yes it's wasteful but so is buying it in the first place if you don't eat it

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 37
I wonder if she is as bored of it as we all are? She does have the attention span of a gnat. I suppose she is buoyed up by the attention at the moment. When the spotlight is off her and actual work and research on her index is required, and it will be looked at by grown ups, it will remain to be seen how she reacts.

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Доброе утро frauen, being BUSY as Vlad's PA doesn't leave much time for grunking these days, but he wanted me to report back with the situation in Russia. Of course, Thorpe Bay is the centre of the known universe but I thought it would be useful to note that other places exist which are *also* experiencing food price increases (maverick, I know :cool:).

Russia's food prices have been increasing for a while now and are hitting poorer Russians hard, but this is a complex situation. After sanctions were imposed in 2014, inflation went a bit crazy and prices skyrocketed, but a combination of counter sanctions and increase in agricultural practices meant that they dropped in the years following. But the pandemic has had an impact globally on supply chains and the availability of (sad to say) terribly paid migrant labour. Russia relies massively on farm workers from former Soviet republics AND we know that Britain does/did too rely on largely Eastern Europeans picking strawberries for £2/hour or something appalling like that. Actually, both Brexit and sanctions for Crimea are comparable in terms of availability of goods/ease of imports across the border.

Russia has several indexes for tracking real-world price increases which focus on the shopping habits of average Russians (the vast majority of which live paycheck to paycheck). The Borscht Index tracks the cost of the standard ingredients for making borscht soup (potatoes, carrots, beets, sour cream etc) and has risen between 2-15% since this time last year (depending on which region you live in). The Olivier (salad Russians love to eat at new year which is basically sausage, potatoes, pickles and mayo) Index has risen by up to 15% since last year. These indexes don't include champagne or lamb or caviar, but they are not crazy figures like 344% because they reflect the actual situation that is happening? Which is that poor/late harvests, increase in farming equipment and supplies and lack of cheap labour (plus panny d) have caused a rise in inflation. But it's also acknowledged that these indexes only have limited use in capturing the nuance between family to family, region to region - to actually do that would require a crazy amount of work (lol) that Jack just aint gonna do 🥴

So in response Vlad capped prices on some of the Russian staples such as sugar and oil and flour. Economists are saying that this is a stupid short term fix (he had an election coming OKAY) and will actually duck the economy more in the long run by discouraging farmers (who are already struggling in the UK as several fraus have mentioned). It seems like this is what Jack wants to happen too? It also seems like Jack is focusing her attention on bags of carbs/things in tins rather than fresh food like she doesn't understand that these things are also dependent on farmers/crops?? When it comes down to it, the main issue is the fact that salaries/benefits are not increasing in line with being able to pay for food (and the terrifying energy hike which is partly due to Vlad hoarding all the gas - see, it's all CONNECTED). Shouting at the Tories for purposely screwing "the poor" by refusing to protect cheap food prices displays a terrible grasp of the complexity of the situation.

ANYWAY thank you for coming to my lecture. Might I suggest Jack's index drop the ridiculous Vimes analogy (food gets eaten almost immediately so it's not a false economy at all - you can either afford it or you can't??) and renames it after one of her essential slop dishes? How about the Come-to-Bed-Parmigiana Index? Horse-Spunk-Lasagne Index? Manky-Salad-Bag-Pesto Index? The options are endless...

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 105
In the observer headline “we’re pricing the poor out of food in the U.K.- that’s why I’m launching my own price index”, it reads like a quote from Jack, even though, admittedly there are no quotation marks.

However, it includes the word “poor” that was rightly pointed out to be troublesome yesterday and she said that she didn’t have any say over in the Sunday People headline. Why would she have allowed the observer headline through when it looks so like a direct quote from her?

Note also no comments about the word “poor” from the Islington Observer set although there are a few dissenters on the FB page, who mention grift.

Off to avoid Sunday morning TV where no doubt she will be praised.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
Доброе утро frauen, being BUSY as Vlad's PA doesn't leave much time for grunking these days, but he wanted me to report back with the situation in Russia. Of course, Thorpe Bay is the centre of the known universe but I thought it would be useful to note that other places exist which are *also* experiencing food price increases (maverick, I know :cool:).

Russia's food prices have been increasing for a while now and are hitting poorer Russians hard, but this is a complex situation. After sanctions were imposed in 2014, inflation went a bit crazy and prices skyrocketed, but a combination of counter sanctions and increase in agricultural practices meant that they dropped in the years following. But the pandemic has had an impact globally on supply chains and the availability of (sad to say) terribly paid migrant labour. Russia relies massively on farm workers from former Soviet republics AND we know that Britain does/did too rely on largely Eastern Europeans picking strawberries for £2/hour or something appalling like that. Actually, both Brexit and sanctions for Crimea are comparable in terms of availability of goods/ease of imports across the border.

Russia has several indexes for tracking real-world price increases which focus on the shopping habits of average Russians (the vast majority of which live paycheck to paycheck). The Borscht Index tracks the cost of the standard ingredients for making borscht soup (potatoes, carrots, beets, sour cream etc) and has risen between 2-15% since this time last year (depending on which region you live in). The Olivier (salad Russians love to eat at new year which is basically sausage, potatoes, pickles and mayo) Index has risen by up to 15% since last year. These indexes don't include champagne or lamb or caviar, but they are not crazy figures like 344% because they reflect the actual situation that is happening? Which is that poor/late harvests, increase in farming equipment and supplies and lack of cheap labour (plus panny d) have caused a rise in inflation. But it's also acknowledged that these indexes only have limited use in capturing the nuance between family to family, region to region - to actually do that would require a crazy amount of work (lol) that Jack just aint gonna do 🥴

So in response Vlad capped prices on some of the Russian staples such as sugar and oil and flour. Economists are saying that this is a stupid short term fix (he had an election coming OKAY) and will actually duck the economy more in the long run by discouraging farmers (who are already struggling in the UK as several fraus have mentioned). It seems like this is what Jack wants to happen too? It also seems like Jack is focusing her attention on bags of carbs/things in tins rather than fresh food like she doesn't understand that these things are also dependent on farmers/crops?? When it comes down to it, the main issue is the fact that salaries/benefits are not increasing in line with being able to pay for food (and the terrifying energy hike which is partly due to Vlad hoarding all the gas - see, it's all CONNECTED). Shouting at the Tories for purposely screwing "the poor" by refusing to protect cheap food prices displays a terrible grasp of the complexity of the situation.

ANYWAY thank you for coming to my lecture. Might I suggest Jack's index drop the ridiculous Vimes analogy (food gets eaten almost immediately so it's not a false economy at all - you can either afford it or you can't??) and renames it after one of her essential slop dishes? How about the Come-to-Bed-Parmigiana Index? Horse-Spunk-Lasagne Index? Manky-Salad-Bag-Pesto Index? The options are endless...
Thank you for the view from Russia. However, as Russian beetroot isn't sold in one Southend Asda, it's irrelevant. Thankyou.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 73
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.