Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sadly outside of r/discworld there are many more threads on uk and uk politics subreddits with many more upvotes and comments all wetting their knickers over Jack's article - some with over 7000 upvotes and 500+ comments that are vastly positive.

I use reddit and enjoy it as my feed is curated (its intended use) but reddit is wildly suggestible and "most upvotes comment" often seems to be taken as the absolute gospel truth. I hate to think how many more squiggles her being posted there have created.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 32
1) Vimes would hand you your arse, Monroe, he actually grew up poor.

2) this, for future reference, is gaslighting.

Oh and also whilst the angry reacts are unsettling despite them being totally appropriate to my Rashford comment I am loving that "anecdata" has taken off!

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Sadly outside of r/discworld there are many more threads on uk and uk politics subreddits with many more upvotes and comments all wetting their knickers over Jack's article - some with over 7000 upvotes and 500+ comments that are vastly positive.

I use reddit and enjoy it as my feed is curated (its intended use) but reddit is wildly suggestible and "most upvotes comment" often seems to be taken as the absolute gospel truth. I hate to think how many more squiggles her being posted there have created.
Reddit is an absolute hive-minded echo chamber. It's making me furious seeing all this praise she's getting. She's done nothing, like she's done nothing for a decade. Like she's done nothing her whole wasteful life.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
It's an excellent theory. Has no application to food.

At a stretch you could say cheapo carby ready meals don't fill you up so you are hungry again quicker, but that's not her point
I will reluctantly attest to this as I ordered McDonalds at work this morning (their new vegan meat-a-like burger is pretty good) and then
even after being affronted by the 'Serves Three' on the cheese melt sharebox I got with it, ended up buying chippy in the afternoon. Normally I wouldn't eat that much at work and I'm hungry again now

The Vimes thing works for goods like boots etc because, for example, our flashy pretty toaster at work finally conked out last year. It was replaced with a cheapo placcy travel toaster. Less than a month later I came back from my lunch break to be informed said toaster had set alight and had been thrown out the fire exit. We now have a much more substantial one.

Actually we've had far more fires in the past year than I'm comfortable with but I could rant about that all day.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
I will reluctantly attest to this as I ordered McDonalds at work this morning (their new vegan meat-a-like burger is pretty good) and then
even after being affronted by the 'Serves Three' on the cheese melt sharebox I got with it, ended up buying chippy in the afternoon. Normally I wouldn't eat that much at work and I'm hungry again now

The Vimes thing works for goods like boots etc because, for example, our flashy pretty toaster at work finally conked out last year. It was replaced with a cheapo placcy travel toaster. Less than a month later I came back from my lunch break to be informed said toaster had set alight and had been thrown out the fire exit. We now have a much more substantial one.

Actually we've had far more fires in the past year than I'm comfortable with but I could rant about that all day.
Will you be advising work to get a smeg or Emma bridgewater toaster next time the inevitable happens?

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Lads, calm yourselves. I know she is infuriating but we have to get through this
She has to rise before she can fall.
The higher she climbs, the giddier she becomes. Then she'll do something stupid and her lies will be all the more public. She'll face questioning from people who actually know what they're talking about and it will start an avalanche of backlash against her.
She's publicly named and shamed supermarkets and they really won't like that. They will have a response and it will be well researched by people who actually know what they are talking about.
Oh and it will definitely be the taxman or taxmanlady that brings her down. She'll either get in serious poo for not filing and face public scrutiny for it or she will file and the lies about how much she earns will be made public.
We just have to wait.

• Heart
Reactions: 71
Tell me Jack, why do we need your index? Other than self aggrandisement, that is.
I was literally just about to say the same thing. Why is she going it? Who is it for? How will people use it? It makes no sense! It’s a complete vanity project for her.

• Sad
Reactions: 32
I would say that the Vimes thing doesn't work for rice, specifically, because in lower income, diverse areas like mine, the Asda sells the huge bags of rice because that's what the local people want and budget for. Its not generally rich (white) people buying 5kg bags of rice.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
I hope Rice-Bag accountant is sharpening whatever an accountant sharpens when they begin their numbers.
I also hope there is a Viggle working in the HMRC investigation department who hasn’t forgotten

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Not sure if this is relevant or how it fits in but two issues spring to mind .

1. This is entirely hearsay from tunnel dad, but aren’t Skoda cars built on VW chassis’s and have the same electrical components? Therefore, in some cases, this theory falls down in that the more expensive item isn’t actually better quality, it’s price is merely based on its branding?

2. Secondly, hasn’t there been stuff in the news about planned obsolescence? iPhones are expensive, quality items, yet they still fail after a set period of time, requiring their owner to purchase a new one. Washing machines (regardless of price) break far more regularly than they did 30 years ago.

Yes, primark shoes will not last as long as a pair from wherever else but there is more to this theory than noble prize laureate Jack likes to make out.
The Vimes Boots theory was published in 1993. Pithy as it is, it’s very “last century” you won’t see kids saying it’s great, it’s all boomers. Of the white middle class type. There are whole sections of society which don’t hold with promoting witches and wizards. Just saying.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Tbf lamb is insanely expensive compared to other meat per gram, and something that has massively gone up in price. But it's bought by a lot of people and therefore should be in the CPI?! Like it needs to reflect everyone - from middle class boomers enjoying a lamb roast through to Mary Sloppins. Which is why it has a vast range of produce. Plus lamb prices have rocketed because of a plethora reasons that some frauen have already explained but go far beyond Jack's comprehension.

She's just so unbelievably thick.
It is more expensive because it’s fiddly to process. Sorry to vegan fraua but small limbs etc to deal with on the production line means more people and cost. But it packs a big protein punch if you can afford and if folk ate more of it in GB and exported less I think it would be one cheaper. Of course I’d have to check that with the new Jackie Monroe index.

Reactions: 23
Will you be advising work to get a smeg or Emma bridgewater toaster next time the inevitable happens?
Yes absolutely x

I'll also be advising them to knock the whole bloody building down and start again, we've had fires, floods, plagues (infestations, covid, and once multiple reptiles somehow - I work for the NHS), the place is like something out the Book of Revelation.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 38
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.