Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This happened with blinis in my local Morrisons. They only sold 20 packs in 6 months so they were cut. My partner was upset but think of the waste if they continue to sell things no one wants?
I use to live in a down at heel town as cheaper than where I worked. It steadily went more and more downmarket after financial crisis, all the high street shops gradually shut, Topshop and Next replaced by Bright House.

They got a brand new Morrisons and when I went for the first time it was incredible, the fresh fruit and veg selection - they had fancy misters! They had Enoki mushrooms! As it was new they hadn’t reacted to what sold. Sure enough, over the months the variety grew less and less as people didn’t buy the exotic or less recognizable veg.
It was a shame for me, but they can’t stock what won’t sell.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
C798929E-341B-4A68-A920-A1A07DF881CF.jpeg

Are these people bleeping thick. They aren’t using lamb and champagne to measure poverty…. They are measuring the average cost of living.
more needs to be done to support people in poverty absolutely but this is just going to be bullshit and the only person who will benefit financially will be Jack…. Until HMRC take what is owed to us.
I look forward to Jack’s taxes actually contributing to society instead of J1G

• Heart
Reactions: 62
Horse spunk! Her USP 🤣 🐴🐎🎠
This has, horrifyingly, just reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask the Hinch thread for a while but couldn't think how to word it.

I do want this project of her's to get done because I want to see it get thoroughly destroyed by people who have an actual clue. However she is seeming increasingly unwell at the moment and I dunno if I want to see the fallout from that.

But also she's shameless. Shades of grey innit.

eta: why does she think the CPI shouldn't include TVs and furniture etc? It's a consumer price index, not a groceries price index, unless she's reading consumer as 'something you literally ingest'

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 43
How relevant is this theory anyway? When applied to food?
It sounds very pat and clever but I can't understand its application to something like for eg rice?
Good quality food will last the same time as poorer quality food won't it?
It's an excellent theory. Has no application to food.

At a stretch you could say cheapo carby ready meals don't fill you up so you are hungry again quicker, but that's not her point

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Had a very similar, mind-shrivelling convo with my love. It’s the overarching unfairness and mistrust of the elite and JM is giving it some air time. Neither of us like performative BS or appropriation so I just asked my partner to fact check JM broadly (she loves a fact check). She looks like I did when I first realised it (JMs mumblings) is all utter shoite.
It’s nice when that finally happens

• Haha
Reactions: 26
PhD Jack reminds me of when I decided to test a theory about behaviour in my class linked with MOON PHASES! Of course, my ‘research’ was a few tables with smiley faces, stuck in a poly pocket. Imagine me going to a newspaper with it, having it in print that I was planning on undertaking a huge research project, not even having DONE the research yet?!? I can’t actually get over her unrealistic views of her own capability. Actually unhinged.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
Why is she acting like a leg of lamb is an outlandishly extravagant thing to buy and cook? Is it because it doesn't slop, Jack?
Tbf lamb is insanely expensive compared to other meat per gram, and something that has massively gone up in price. But it's bought by a lot of people and therefore should be in the CPI?! Like it needs to reflect everyone - from middle class boomers enjoying a lamb roast through to Mary Sloppins. Which is why it has a vast range of produce. Plus lamb prices have rocketed because of a plethora reasons that some frauen have already explained but go far beyond Jack's comprehension.

She's just so unbelievably thick.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Come on office of National Statistics
Tell her off - trying to rewrite CPI

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
More than 2000 people have retweeted her Guardian article already.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 35
Terry Pratchett knew a con artist when he saw one - he would have some choice words for Jack.

But then his good friend Neil Gaiman married Amanda Palmer
Does she have a thread on here?

She is really something else.

Reactions: 25
How relevant is this theory anyway? When applied to food?
It sounds very pat and clever but I can't understand its application to something like for eg rice?
Good quality food will last the same time as poorer quality food won't it?
Not sure if this is relevant or how it fits in but two issues spring to mind .

1. This is entirely hearsay from tunnel dad, but aren’t Skoda cars built on VW chassis’s and have the same electrical components? Therefore, in some cases, this theory falls down in that the more expensive item isn’t actually better quality, it’s price is merely based on its branding?

2. Secondly, hasn’t there been stuff in the news about planned obsolescence? iPhones are expensive, quality items, yet they still fail after a set period of time, requiring their owner to purchase a new one. Washing machines (regardless of price) break far more regularly than they did 30 years ago.

Yes, primark shoes will not last as long as a pair from wherever else but there is more to this theory than noble prize laureate Jack likes to make out.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
It's an excellent theory. Has no application to food.

At a stretch you could say cheapo carby ready meals don't fill you up so you are hungry again quicker, but that's not her point
Sainsbury's basmati rice in a 500g bag is priced at £1.10 (£2.20 per kilo) but if you buy a kilo bag it is £1.75 (for example) so you could stretch the Vimes analogy to say that this is unfair for the people who can't manage to pay more to spend less?

Reactions: 30
View attachment 1008066

Are these people bleeping thick. They aren’t using lamb and champagne to measure poverty…. They are measuring the average cost of living.
more needs to be done to support people in poverty absolutely but this is just going to be bullshit and the only person who will benefit financially will be Jack…. Until HMRC take what is owed to us.
I look forward to Jack’s taxes actually contributing to society instead of J1G
Do they not understand that to get an average you need ALL the costs? How can you get an average using just one range of prices??

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
If any supermarket backs her theory up it will definately help me make my complete switch to independent shops. I'd rather pay it forward for fair and equal pay to everyone and spend less on other luxuries than give her 1p towards her bollocks.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Tbf lamb is insanely expensive compared to other meat per gram, and something that has massively gone up in price. But it's bought by a lot of people and therefore should be in the CPI?! Like it needs to reflect everyone - from middle class boomers enjoying a lamb roast through to Mary Sloppins. Which is why it has a vast range of produce. Plus lamb prices have rocketed because of a plethora reasons that some frauen have already explained but go far beyond Jack's comprehension.

She's just so unbelievably thick.
Thick as a Boxing Day turd.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.