Jack Monroe #243 She isn't poor, she chooses not to work

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know you have said this Silver and I apologise for lack of eloquence but this is just showing how much Jack sees herself as the centre of the world.

NOT EVERYONE NEEDS A BLENDER.

ETA why is an appliance allowed but furniture isn’t? Do people have to sit on the floor? She was kicking off about champagne and furniture being on the CPI earlier but now wants appliances on the list. Make this make sense.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
I missed a few tweets there. I don't know if it's Monroe fatigue or if they were just coming at us too quickly 😖
And she's said she's not going away. Strap in dear hearts, we're in for a long weekend. What is it now, 24 hours without sleep and Dino naps?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Vimes! Thunderclapforwhatever tm 🙄 If the big four and the discounters thought she was in any way changing shopping habits and therefore pricing they’d be out there. Not one - don’t know if they’ve even been asked. I suspect it’s a case of let the fire fizzle out.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
05791B02-6F3D-4E18-AB54-4BCAC428618B.jpg

That's 'don't say manic' squig put in her place, then. On Saint Nicholas of Wire's birthday, of all days.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
I actually feel a bit better. She’s massively overpromising this. No way will she do it.View attachment 1005817
I think this is another part that infuriates me.

YES, BEDROOM FURNITURE. Do you want people to sleep on the floor? Do people in real poverty not deserve beds, Jack? Should new mothers who've just had a baby fling it in the sink to sleep in overnight? How about when those children get older and need beds of their own? Should young adults who just moved out all sleep on a third-hand flat futon in an empty room, slowly giving themselves backpain?

Or should they get it once, and never replace their mattress? As someone who had theirs 8 years and recently replaced it, 90% of my joint pain went when I was no longer sleeping on a mattress where all the springs dug into my ribs. Does it not matter if those skyrocket in price because you can't put it in a slowcooker and blend it into 11p portions fit for the nutritional requirements of a toddler (if that)?

And then fling their clothes on the floor? Poor people don't get a wardrobe? I suppose people who have a job where they need ironed clothes to look put together should just use their floor space to lay everything flat so it never wrinkles, or just throw it all in a pile of amorphous shades of dyed-grey.

People NEED FURNITURE. Furniture is EXPENSIVE. It getting inordinately more expensive is incredibly important to track - they're necessary goods to have in life! Maybe buying 17 sideboards makes you forget that some people can't afford the basics. Which are named that for a reason.

Sorry, rant over, but that really pissed me off.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
So have the supermarkets all been in cahoots and put 75p on a CB ready meal today?

Screenshot_20220121-203756__01.jpg

Should we have a poll to decide which ex liked them, possibly more than home cooking, and has created this hatred of people buying them? (Conjecture, your honour)

Also, I left the notification in the screenshot for any Jack followers on Patreon. It pops up when the person you support posts something. Just in case you've never seen it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Different things are essential to different people!!!
So is she saying we should only factor in essentials into the cost of living? Does that not contradict her point that the poors are allowed occasional non essentials? I’m so confused now.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.