Jack Monroe #241 Average level lies and lard gravy

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Will Stig interview her or will he sit there slack jawed while she recounts The Poverty AGAIN?
How familiar is he with her body of work? Jack seems to have two tracks. One -this is awful, this is terrible and has to change (whatever 'it' is) and me, me, me, how awful it was for me, then. I don't think I can bear to hear either one again.

Times Radio - there’s a demographic
They might not have heard her origin story. Will she dust it off again?
Will she take this opportunity to talk about her trolls on the offchance the Times readership is interested?

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I don't know what a Stig Abell is or anything about his radio show, is it important?
Stephen (Stig) Abell is exactly the sort of person that Jack derides on Twitter, but fawns over as soon as they give her a platform. Privileged upbringing, shoe in to the media set, newspaper editor, radio presenter, TV personality, Islington dweller.

I can just imagine Jack sucking up and brown nosing round him if she thinks he can be influential in her attempt to restart her media career.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 66
Sorry, I have just Googled this vile specimen and can just imagine him thinking he's on to a good thing with interviewing Jack.

I knew I recognised his name from somewhere - Front Row on R4.
Jack would align herself with almost anybody if it meant getting the media attention she thinks she deserves. She literally seems to have no scruples. I mean The Daily Express ffs.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 43
“How we’re doing?”

WTAF. She went to an all girls’ grammar school. How many times do I have to say this?

Shall I explain the stuff I saw at the RI academy where I last taught? About the homes with no carpets where we did home visits? Where we paid for breakfasts and bus fares and uniforms? Because the poverty that was highlighted on C4 last night is real and never-ending up here. She isn’t part of that. She went to a lovely school and now lives in a lovely house and thinks she is speaking for those who are living on the edge.

Do you know what the edge actually is Jack? That the edge has been here for so long that it is no longer the edge, but life. So piss off with your chip about independent schools and oxbridge. You were mixing with the media set 5 years ago. Sell the Burberry jacket, pay your taxes and polish your spoons.
Every time she opens her mouth it's more and more obvious that she does not have even the faintest idea of what it's like to be in actual poverty. From her recipes that require hours of cooking, her blasé "I live on £20 a week except for all the extra shite", her safety nets with her parents and SB's dad, the way she waffles on about selling bloody lightbulbs... I work in one of the most deprived areas of the country and part of me would love her to come here and see her get a massive reality check.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Why can’t anyone see that she’s choosing the products to suit her narrative? Even the most basic of research would show that there are products available in the same price bracket as before. She wants to hope to God she doesn’t get picked up by tv because she will make an absolute weapon of herself on national tv spouting this shite. The tweets pointing out what we can all see will be off the scale.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Grunting, lots to catch up on since luncheon…🤣

🚨 thread title klaxon:
don't spunk £100 on some tetanus filled cutlery
Jack Monroe #242: don't spunk £100 on some tetanus filled cutlery

or just:

jack Monroe: spoon spunker

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Forensically going on about prices doesn't cover the real reason people want cheap food, it's often the only part of our outgoings we have any control over. The energy bills have eaten the three pay rises I've had in the last four months. I know I'm lucky to have had them, even if it is because the care sector is so short of staff we can't afford to lose experienced staff.

I still usually walk the 4O minutes to work because it means I can get a taxi in terrible weather.

I refuse to believe SB spends much time at Jack's as we haven't had her hot takes on mask wearing in classrooms or the constantly changing rules for Covid. No recipes for the bottomless pit that is a child who's been at secondary school all day and how much they change in that first term . Silly me SB can't change he must always be the tiny Dicken's character asking for more jam

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 61
How lucky that they weren't stolen in the recent burglary...
They were locked securely away in her safe (or one of them - she likely has three), while all the precious, personal accoutrements of her life were relegated to the garage.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
I refuse to believe SB spends much time at Jack's as we haven't had her hot takes on mask wearing in classrooms or the constantly changing rules for Covid. No recipes for the bottomless pit that is a child who's been at secondary school all day and how much they change in that first term . Silly me SB can't change he must always be the tiny Dicken's character asking for more jam
Plus she never seems tied to term dates or school hours or anything like that. Getting up at 8am when SB would've had breakfast and be heading off to school. Just so many things don't make any sense. Least of all the way she never seems to go anywhere or do anything with him.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 48
A reply to stig's tweet and don't think it's a troll account. A phone in with people that know this stuff would be great

1642621328648.png

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 80
I work in one of the most deprived areas of the country and part of me would love her to come here and see her get a massive reality check.
This just makes me think about how sheltered a life she really has had. It seems to me she's always lived in these really nice flats and houses in prosperous areas, and when she's in London she just seems to hang out in Soho or whatever - heck, *I've* probably been to worse parts of London than she has and I live hundreds of miles away. Obviously in Edinburgh she stays within a half mile radius of St Andrews Square and I bet if she's ever come to Glasgow she hasn't ventured outside the Merchant City. Some of the most successful people I know went down to London and started out in terrible, mouldy houseshares in fairly scary areas, but Jack's never, ever known that, even for a short while. And yet she wants to lecture the country about poverty from her privileged little Thorpe Bay bubble. It's so messed up.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 78
Wow, what a day! Taken nearly 2 hours to catch up.

The dine in for a tenner at M&S used to include a whole chicken as an option. That's 10 years ago when the concept started to take off. I used to buy the deal as I could get a week of food out that chicken. Now, it's all ready meals, sometimes a steak as the main.

The harping on about luxury ready meals is annoying. Part of it is economy of scale. It's seen as acceptable as a takeaway replacement or even as a restaurant meal replacement now. Fairly sure Harry Wallop has written about this before.

Food prices have been very low for a long time, it was inevitable a global event / big national event changed that. If Jack read more broadly on the subject of global economics, this would not have been a surprise. No, it's all reaction to a headline snippet - so really Mail / Express level "journalism". I shouldn't be surprised by the stupidity, yet somehow Jack finds a new level.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
She always forensically tweets prices? Does she ever use European or Asian supermarkets as a price comparison. I only ask this because when my son attended his old school we had loads of very deprived european and Asian people who's kids attended the school and there was an array of their native shops close to the area. They are often found to be cheaper than UK prices but if you're on the bones of your arse a pounds a pound in any situation.

Her margins are too small and there are not enough variables to make a proper decision on how food effects people. To get a proper idea she would need to not only collate all of the shops available around the UK( on average) then using data such as surveys she would need to work out who shops where and why, ensuring she has a sufficient data range of people.

That's before any real analysis can take place.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
This just makes me think about how sheltered a life she really has had. It seems to me she's always lived in these really nice flats and houses in prosperous areas, and when she's in London she just seems to hang out in Soho or whatever - heck, *I've* probably been to worse parts of London than she has and I live hundreds of miles away. Obviously in Edinburgh she stays within a half mile radius of St Andrews Square and I bet if she's ever come to Glasgow she hasn't ventured outside the Merchant City. Some of the most successful people I know went down to London and started out in terrible, mouldy houseshares in fairly scary areas, but Jack's never, ever known that, even for a short while. And yet she wants to lecture the country about poverty from her privileged little Thorpe Bay bubble. It's so messed up.
I'd love Jack to visit Jaywick...it's one of the most mocked and saddest places in the UK.

• Sad
Reactions: 34
We live in a hugely deprived area where poverty is a reality that Jack would never recognise. The reality of drug and alcohol abuse is not £7-10 cocktails and coke. It is White Lightning cider and super strength lager with a Spice chaser. The council estates are huge and lacking decent housing and social amenities, the council is not bothered as long as they can prettily landscape the town centre. People like Jack could do so much to raise these inequalities but won't because the media interaction she craves is with journalists who come to areas like ours spend a couple of hours, write up their piece about how terrible it all is and never come back. What actually have Jack and her ilk achieved? Nothing of consequence. At least Marcus Rashford got children fed. I will get off my soap box now. 🙄

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 66
I'd love Jack to visit Jaywick...it's one of the most mocked and saddest places in the UK.
Wow, Blackpool does really badly on that list - 12 out of the 20 most deprived areas 😱. Never realised it was quite that bad.

Oh god she's the worst. THE WORST.

ETA when did she ever use her bike before it was stolen?? Never.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 45
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.