Jack Monroe #241 Average level lies and lard gravy

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My boyfriend and I occasionally get the CB lasagne for those nights where we want something nice but also can’t be arsed. I’m not denying £8 is a lot for a ready meal for 2, but as a treat it’s a lot cheaper than a takeaway.

Am I a Tory?

PS Jack if I had £105 to spare I’d buy like 14 lasagnes before dropping a penny on rusty spoons.
I'm not dissing CB lasagne or otherwise, just sniping at taking issue with forensic Jack and her static high end £7.50 ready meals.

Reactions: 24
Thanks @Flash123 for the sciatica tip - going to try it! Physio has COVID so no appointment until she's recovered. :(

The pasta breakfast bullshit... Omg WHO is eating pasta for breakfast?! It’s porridge with fruit in the winter, cereal with fruit in the summer, eggs on Fridays for us. Has been for years, and my children all seem fine. She makes her life intractably more difficult by spouting this bollocks about it being breakfast instead of just saying “doing some recipe testing today; this one was nice”.

🔺 but I'm a frau in heritage academia and the thought of her using a map from the 1800s as a food prop haunts me. Whether she's using a coaster or not, the heat damages the paper, the potential splatter, just the fact that there's pressure on it, potential transfer of natural human skin oils from hands/forearms etc. when eating... If it's real, that is such a wanton disregard for heritage, history, and preservation.

I'm choosing to believe that it's a replica (you used to be able to get lovely map paper sheets from Paperchase...) and she's saying it's original for her usual grifty reasons.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 63
I'm not dissing CB lasagne or otherwise, just sniping at taking issue with forensic Jack and her static high end £7.50 ready meals.
I wasn’t getting at you. Sorry if it seemed that way.

I just think she’s creating a false argument and making assumptions about people based on stereotypes.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Luxury items have a bigger mark up so can absorb price increases. The fancy lasagne ready meal does not cost 5x to make, it's mostly marketing.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
I wasn’t getting at you. Sorry if it seemed that way.

I just think she’s creating a false argument and making assumptions about people based on stereotypes.
She defn is. And I wonder where her morals go when she singles out people who buy more expensive ready meals after having judged a competition for the best ready meal and chosen the most expensive as the winner.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Do fact checkers even exist anymore?? Other than us sad little hausfraus obvs.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 47
Beans were 5p a can in Tesco when I was a student. I assume they made a loss on that. I understand that because I’m not stupid though and can work out the reasons they did that.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Also pretty sure the claim that there are fewer value items is fake news. Supermarkets have just moved away from marking it all under one brand value/essential/smart price and now use fake farms, food cupboard, wonky brands etc but it's still the same value priced items. She must know this if she actually buys value ranges? Or does she just search for value on their website.

Tesco value items
Screenshot 2022-01-19 15.35.41.png

Sainsbury value items
Screenshot 2022-01-19 15.36.02.png

Another fail for her forensic research.

Screenshot 2022-01-19 15.29.40.png

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 72
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.