Jack Monroe #235 Goggleslop

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have no first hand experience of AA/NA but during lockdown I have put considerable time and effort into (re) watching Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice and Station 19, and there is stuff from the Shonda version of sobriety that is more complex and nuanced than Jack's hot takes.
I’m currently rewatching game of thrones and even it has more nuance than Jack on sobriety!

• Haha
Reactions: 36
I'm going to say it, as someone who nearly died from their addiction and did hard time in detox and rehab, her posts really hurt. It makes me feel like I made too much 'fuss' and that it should have been easier.
I have worked the steps and every now and then still check in with a meeting. I failed many times.
Lasting a week, sometimes a month, occasionally a couple of months. But I'd always end up finding an excuse to 'fall off the wagon'.
Then one of the 'old timers' at a meeting I was making a show of attending said to me, "Do you know why this is not working for you? You haven't hit rock bottom. It may be waking up in a gutter or next to someone you don't know. We all have our own rock bottom."
I smiled, nodded and moved on.
Got back drinking and carried on.
Then one morning, after a 'great' night out I woke up next to my wife who looked like she had been in a car accident.
She was purple.
When I asked her what in the name of Christ had happened she said, "You happened. You happened to me. You did this."
My father was a spiteful, violent, alcoholic and I despised that about him.
To this day I have no recollection of laying hands on her but I feel sick every time I think about the state I had made of her.
That was my rock bottom.
I went to a meeting that day and did it properly because I never wanted to see in my wife's eyes that same contempt I had felt for my Father.
This is why I rarely involve myself with the "AA Jack" chat.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 112
I have worked the steps and every now and then still check in with a meeting. I failed many times.
Lasting a week, sometimes a month, occasionally a couple of months. But I'd always end up finding an excuse to 'fall of the wagon'.
Then one of the 'old timers' at a meeting I was making a show of attending said to me, "Do you know why this is not working for you? You haven't hit rock bottom. It may be waking up in a gutter or next to someone you don't know. We all have our own rock bottom."
I smiled, nodded and moved on.
Got back drinking and carried on.
Then one morning, after a 'great' night out I woke up next to my wife who looked like she had been in a car accident.
She was purple.
When I asked her what in the name of Christ had happened she said, "You happened. You happened to me. You did this."
My father was a spiteful, violent, alcoholic and I despised that about him.
To this day I have no recollection of laying hands on her but I feel sick every time I think about the state I had made of her.
That was my rock bottom.
I went to a meeting that day and did it properly because I never wanted to see in my wife's eyes that same contempt I had felt for my Father.
This is why I rarely involve myself with the "AA Jack" chat.
Thank you for sharing this. How hard you have worked; how hard we continue to work.

• Heart
Reactions: 71
So I think we actually missed the subtle burn by Trifely D which in Game of thrones parlance is actually wildfire….
B384412A-0839-4405-B369-AFF14FC7DA83.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 56
@Shawads
I've been waiting for a Billy Liar reference since I joined the Cabal.Love the book and the film ♥
Jack, however completely lacks the charm of Billy Fisher.x
Oh how lovely, I love the book too. he does have a boyish charm and is more relatable, especially when seen from the eyes of a young person feeling helpless, I'm sure we could all identify with his imaginery Ambrosia .
there was a follow up book , not sur if rher was a film, I enjoyed it but not as charming as a fully blown adult with real responsibilities
I love old movies, especially sixties kitchen sink drama but old noir too, Bette Davis and Joan Crawford would eat jack for breakfast

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Grunking away so many many pages behind but just wanted to say I bloody love a J20. There aren't enough of them on offer as far as I'm concerned tbh.
Agreed, I like them for a non-alcoholic option, even if they're usually a bit more expensive than some alternatives.

I also like them with vodka, but that's defeating the object of this discussion.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Don’t have the receipts but I think the Queen blocked her
Blocking her was such a good move, it means Jack will have no idea what's going on on her timeline and who is liking her tweets. Because the only other way she would know is if she reads here which she obviously doesn't 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
Alice in The Archers is more convincing but tbf the bar is fairly low :LOL:
Lol, I remember when Alice first started showing the signs of a drink problem.
Wonder if jack would take UMBRAGE at this comparison to Alice from AMBRIDGE ?

The best fiction descent into alcoholism has to be Phil Mitchell, one day completely non problematic drinking, the next day careening around the streets with a bottle of non identifiable spirit wrapped in a brown paper bag.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
She's going to end up as Honorary Frau of the Year 2022 as well at this rate!

Blocking her was such a good move, it means Jack will have no idea what's going on on her timeline and who is liking her tweets. Because the only other way she would know is if she reads here which she obviously doesn't 😂
Jack will be able to see it all if she logs out of her own account and either logs in on another account or just stays logged out.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 12.43.13.png

As someone suggested upthread, I bet there are separate Whatsapp groups for the journalists and foodies who collectively roll their eyes at Jack.

The shade on POBP was beautiful

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 68
Jack will be able to see it all if she logs out of her own account and either logs in on another account or just stays logged out.
Yes but why would she bother unless she gets a heads up that there's burnage going on over there (which presumably she would only find out about by reading here except if one of her many helpful 'fwends' tipped her off about it. Which again, they'd probably only do if reading here).

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Did someone work out the minimum she gets from this ? Amazing people still pay for zero return
In the full update we assume everyone is on the £3.50 tier and max platform fees of 12%, which is a VERY conservative estimate but means the bare minimum she’d have received today is £751.52

She last updated it with content on November 2020.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 55
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.