Jack Monroe #228 The winter of our fishcontent

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh cripes. Jack's sentimental musings about The Aul Country are NOT a welcome return.
It is so bloody cod oirish

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Also can someone tell me what soup celery is, because I am a Bad Irish and have never heard of this 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 30
I think I have realised that Jack’s food is the equivalent to that blue and black dress thing where squiggles are seeing delicious pasta and we just see slop!

• Haha
Reactions: 37
Which book is this. What happened to 1001 uses for bellybutton fluff? When was that due out.
Also who is still making books with her, they can’t make any bloody money?

I don't know, but this is the sort of JM Amazon review that I would pay money to see one day. It is a shame that the RAF brother has too much integrity.

1639335641515.png

Wine Girl: A sommelier's tale of making it in the toxic world of fine dining Hardcover – 2 April 2020
by Victoria James (Author)
4.3 out of 5 stars 318 ratings

1.0 out of 5 stars The First Half of This Book Isn't Factual in the Slightest
Reviewed in the United States on 12 September 2021
Verified Purchase
I'm Victoria's oldest sister (not mentioned in the book due to my lawyer telling her to leave me out). My father lost his job after this book came out and our family was torn in two. I held his hands many times as he cried and hit low points I'd never seen before. I wrote a review on this previously that had over 400 likes, but Amazon removed it for some reason along with most of my other reviews. They tell me it's a glitch and they are working to put it back, but in the meantime, I felt it important to repeat some things.

My father made well over 6 figures a year most of our childhood. We grew up in a 5-6 bedroom houses and never had to share a bedroom. We had more food than we knew what to do with (believe me, I ate it all). I don't know what the claims of pickle juice and crackers being all we had to eat came from. We had nannies who lived with us and ate just fine. We were beyond privileged.

Did my father have a drinking issue? Yes, there was a time when he struggled with this after he was in one of the tower that collapsed in NYC on 9/11. Bodies landed around him. He almost died. He walked from NYC to NJ and we didn't know until 10pm that night when he walked in the door covered in white ash that he'd survived. He was a single father at that point and we had a nanny, so he just had to "get back to normal" after that. He had to keep working and providing for his family. He didn't get help or get time off to work on that trauma. So, yeah, he turned to alcohol for a while. None of that is mentioned in the book. Victoria portrays him as a one dimensional character and she's this perfect hero.

She makes reference after reference to "taking care of our family." My sisters all paid for their own colleges or got free rides. We never had to buy our own food/clothes/etc unless it was something fun or extra we wanted. We all had full health insurance through my father until we were 26 years old, of which I know 100% Victoria utilized. She claims in the book she had no health insurance, but there are literally a ton of email exchanges between her and my dad about her asking for help getting her acupuncture covered by insurance because that was the only treatment our insurance denied and she liked that a lot.

Our mother isn't mentioned in the book much except as being mentally ill and that her journals and documents somehow prove Victoria's story to be true (despite discrediting her in the same sentence due to her mental illness). My mother is very ill, and her journals are a reflection of that. She had extreme postpartum psychosis after pregnancies and left when our youngest sister was 2 months old. I raised her after that, not Victoria. I have the mothers day cards from our youngest sister to prove that and tons of aunts and cousins who will attest to that. My mother has pretty severe autism and she struggles with a lot of personal connections, but she's not a monster either, even though, yeah, all of us have been hurt by her neglect and absence. Myself especially, despite trying to give her grace for her limitations.

She says my brother was forcefully hospitalized by my father and taken in an ambulance against his will. What actually happened was my brother burned our basement down when he was playing with matches. Because of the property damage monetary amount and that this wasn't his first go at this, the police/fire marshall gave my father two options: mental health assessment or legal charges. My father had to make the awful decision to drive my brother to the hospital and have him evaluated where the professionals decided he needed to be admitted. An awful situation, for sure, but not my father's fault.

Honestly, there's so much more but I won't list it all. You can Google things for yourself to see how inaccurate this is. In fact, most of the reviews on this book question the validity and they didn't even know us. That says something.

Family isn't perfect. I'm very very far from perfect. I was abused by a principal at school when I was a child and turned very angry and bitter after that and took that out on my siblings and myself. My parents had a hard time figuring out how to help me. But, it's not okay for Victoria to paint a picture of a childhood that absolutely did not happen in order to try and paint herself the hero. Even the stories she tells about her sexual assaults are so vastly different than what she reported to us back then or to the police. It just doesn't make any sense.

There are so many people who struggle in the world with REAL issues of neglect and abuse. We had some painful times, without a doubt. But it is dismissive and belittling to pretend we were working class or anything below completely privileged. It's dismissive and cruel to attack my father for his actions when he was a human being struggling being a single parent after 9/11. Victoria told my father she said "nothing negative about him in the book" and promised to come show it to him a month before publication. He never heard from her again. He found out she was having a child via an Instagram post along with everyone else in our family. He's never been allowed to meet his granddaughter, despite being a loving and doting grandfather to his other grandchild. The pain is gut wrenching to watch this all unfold.

Where's the self-reflection? Where's the humanity and flawed aspects of everyone? Where's the realizations of how her eight years of heavy drug use and dating unhealthy, toxic men led to choosing partners who continue to degrade her and look down on her? A husband who cuts her off from her family and screams and lunges at her sister two days after her sister was beaten by her now-ex husband? You cannot write a memoir and pretend to be a hero without showing how you've learned and grown from your experiences. This memoir is just a list of all the terrible (and mostly untrue) things that happened to her and how she succeeded anyway despite hurting dozens of people in the process. That's not okay. That's not truth.

Do better, Victoria. This isn't okay.
Read less
409 people found this helpful

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 60
That lasagne looks really dry and over and undercooked.

I think mama senior has gone round to tell her
Youre playing up again young missy.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
When your béchamel looks like ricotta stirred into oil… your need to revisit your béchamel recipe.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 40
The parsley sauce reference has taken me right back to school dinners (in the late ‘60’s) - ham slices with disgusting parsley sauce 🤢.
It always reminded me of sick. Unfortunately, in those days you had to clear your plate before you could leave the dinner hall☹

Or liquor. Stock, cornflour, white pepper and a fuckton of parsley with vinegar to cut through the lumps of mashed potato made without any butter or milk and make double double slightly less dry. Still better than the jellied eel that you tipped from the pot into your mouth to have in one, leaving the spine on your tongue.

I far preferred sitting at the kitchen table with a pin to get the winkles out of their coal black shells, feeling briefly sorry for the tiny pink hermit crabs and putting tons of white pepper on the vinegared cockles so you'd try not to sneeze as the sourness made you shudder. It was also better than a huge plate of floured sprats staring at you sadly from the pan.

The liquor could be made from the water Cod was poached in, rather than stock, as long as you added salt.

We haven't had East End Jack yet.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Also can someone tell me what soup celery is, because I am a Bad Irish and have never heard of this 😂
Same. I make this soup regularly.

THIS IS ANNOYING. I’m Irish. We don’t only cook with alcohol. Our whole cuisine is not based on what alcohol we happened to have lying round.
If there's one thing Jack Monroe loves, it's a stereotype

• Heart
Reactions: 29
F7800A15-C4DC-49D5-BA3B-00E58A3DDB29.jpeg

That tells you all you need to know about Oirish Jack.

When I lived in Ireland, people found it quite funny that American tourists would always be looking for corned beef, as it's just not really eaten there. It's popular with Irish Americans, so it's one of those things that Americans mistakenly think of as Irish (like green milkshakes or "Happy St Patty's Day!").

Of course Jack, in her quest for "completed it, mate!" has no bleeping clue...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.