Jack Monroe #219 Why you sob? Russell Hobb

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Personally I'm hoping to see her in The Express again, thanking the queen on behalf of the nation 🥰

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
Also why is she going on about cooking for one in the middle of a recipe which is meant to* serve 4?

*It doesn't serve 4
This recipe was Jack bingo. It had it all, from draughty cold abode, long weary days of work hunting and gathering before her child was in bed, the weary martyred cooking, twitter blurring over every part of her life, two contradictions, long sub-story of knives.

ETA: starting cooking with a cold pan and cold oil. Useless aside about being a foodie

I'm going to read other recipes, to "analyse" Throw a dart, pick a remembered website recipe for checking!

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I was in my local independent bookshop yesterday and I checked for books by Jack (none), I did see the new Marcus Wareing and @MancBee was looking mighty fine on the cover.
There were lots of new Christmas books, in fact when I was in last month they had a special pamphlet of all the new releases, December would seem a very strange time to release anything.
Is it another magazine article?
I think it’ll be another build-up to Christmas advertorial thingy like she did for the Daily Express last year.

ETA @Nottonightbabe mentioned it first! I forgot about the Queen comment 😬

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
This take is hot out of the mini oven:

Isn't the point of a traybake to make a large cake that can be easily served up in squares or rectangles on a picnic or party? Doesn't really require a plate and a cake fork - more of a hold in your napkin type of cake? Typically found at potlucks, school fetes, parties, etc.?

Also, applesauce works well in many vegan recipes. I have no issue with it. The only issue I do have is that it comes from US recipes and an American applesauce is a very different beast to a UK applesauce. It is much more like the apple puree you can buy here in pouches or pots for babies. It's sweeter than UK applesauce, it's not chunky and it never, ever contains vinegar, cider or starch, which a lot of shop bought UK versions use. It's because applesauce in the US is eaten as a snack on its own or mixed with yoghurt or on potato latkes or sometimes pancakes, whereas UK applesauce is a condiment to many meat dishes.

Anyway, why am I mithering on about it? Because in baking it will make a huge difference whether your applesauce is smooth or chunky, whether there is vinegar and starch in it or not and what the sugar content is. However, I assume that her prune concoction would always be disgusting, so I guess the old adage remains true - applesauce is applesauce.
The cabal of mithering ninnies give more thought and scrutiny to Jack's recipes than she does. I have said before about my nephew's recipe development company; it takes months and months of work and often ends with failure. Yet Jack thinks that her maverick brain can invent new recipes daily. It is just not that easy.

• Heart
Reactions: 56
Guys, drier than the Sahara this morning…

(Oh and my Nana commented despite being in the oven 40 minutes, it definitely wasn’t cooked on the inside)

To be fair I feel sorry for her lad, going in the kitchen in the middle of the night for a snack, thinking this is chocolate cake and ending up running back and forth from the toilet for the rest of the night.

BA46790E-945B-4E97-9F4C-C205D6313F55.jpeg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 54
I'm hoping one of the things she learns on her nutrition course is to not step outside the bounds of her professional knowledge level. It's why I tend to trust registered professionals more because they can lose their livelihood and protected title if they act outside of their professional capabilities. That's not to say there aren't excellent non-protected professionals, but somehow I suspect she won't be one of them.

It's really dangerous for her to act as a trusted source of knowledge regarding diabetes. She doesn't even demonstrate an understanding of the different kinds/subtypes. She doesn't understand the metabolic pathways of sugars, how fructose impacts the liver, and that hidden sugars are a prime reason for poor blood glucose control. I am still furious. One day someone will sue her if she carries on like this.

And there's a pattern of evening grandiosity, isn't there? She is giddy and drunk on attention. That's when the silly pronouncements and ignorance are at their peak.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
I know you all love eggs, so here we check the Times of India's recipe for Chettinad (South Indian) Egg Curry versus Jack Monroe's South Indian Inspired Egg Curry

First we have to wade through assurance that Jack's HOMETOWN is Southend on Sea, and she dines out many times in it. Presumably all the locals clap

She is at pains to point out that she's only BASING her recipe on the local Southend on Sea South Indian restaurant's recipe. Since their recipe is probably adapted for local English tastes, Jack keeping the "basenotes" without straying too far from that recipe takes the bus in a different direction from anything authentic, but that's okay because she's going to explain that!

You place eggs in already boiling water
The $£energy you lose there is returned to you when you again start the oil and spices and onion in the coldest pan possible. (I recommend placing the pan in the snow for a while for maximum benefit)

The Times of India recipe doesn't use onion, by the way, but another verbose blogger does (along with coconut milk like Jack and lots of exclamation marks)

Earnest Jack tells us x 10 that cultural appropriation may be bad, but too complex for now. Jack will write an essay on this another time because it's out of her usual jurisdiction of poverty and austerity, and proceeds to add a teaspoon of English mustard, along with jumbled instructions worthy of an Ikea assembly pamphlet, which will have you leaping about the kitchen so confusedly that I'd advise you to move your kettle first in case of breakages. Jack still calls it South Indian Inspired Egg Curry, but it's NOT! It's a trick! It's Southend on Sea South Indian Restaurant Basenotes Kept Similar Not Culturally Appropriated Egg Curry!!!!

Here are the recipes side by side

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 38
Guys, drier than the Sahara this morning…

(Oh and my Nana commented despite being in the oven 40 minutes, it definitely wasn’t cooked on the inside)

To be fair I feel sorry for her lad, going in the kitchen in the middle of the night for a snack, thinking this is chocolate cake and ending up running back and forth from the toilet for the rest of the night.

View attachment 851537
The horror......

Bless you all. I dont pray but i will for you and your family, having to witness it.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Lying in bed having a lazy Sunday morning (the best!) and showed Mr Barzie last nights chocolate prune delight, asking him “what’s that?” The look of abject horror on his face confirmed the cabal’s feelings as he muttered the words “Wtf is that? Shite wi’ sugar on top is real?”

(For context, as a child of Scotland, if you annoyed your parents with constantly asking what you were getting for dinner, shite with sugar on top was meant to shut you up!)

• Haha
Reactions: 45
I'm hoping one of the things she learns on her nutrition course is to not step outside the bounds of her professional knowledge level. It's why I tend to trust registered professionals more because they can lose their livelihood and protected title if they act outside of their professional capabilities. That's not to say there aren't excellent non-protected professionals, but somehow I suspect she won't be one of them.

It's really dangerous for her to act as a trusted source of knowledge regarding diabetes. She doesn't even demonstrate an understanding of the differenteve kinds/subtypes. She doesn't understand the metabolic pathways of sugars, how fructose impacts the liver, and that hidden sugars are a prime reason for poor blood glucose control. I am still furious. One day someone will sue her if she carries on like this.

And there's a pattern of evening grandiosity, isn't there? She is giddy and drunk on attention. That's when the silly pronouncements and ignorance are at their peak.
My step dad is type 2 diabetic and he is always shocked at how the most basic of food has sugars he has to be aware of.

Its not something you can usually just mix and match.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
One day someone will sue her if she carries on like this.
I'm not sure they would have much of a case, to be honest. Unless someone is actually falsely claiming to be a registered professional and an expert then I think a court would just say that following the advice of random bloggers is your own fault.

(I'm not a lawyer though).

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I'm not sure they would have much of a case, to be honest. Unless someone is actually falsely claiming to be a registered professional and an expert then I think a court would just say that following the advice of random bloggers is your own fault.

You're right. Wishful thinking on my part.

Reactions: 23

Several bloggers I know, including food bloggers, do have public liability insurance for this type of situation.

Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.