Jack Monroe #206 I wouldn’t trust her with a spam fritter

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have been wracking my brains to remember the first books we read at school. Thanks to Google, I finally got there.
Dick and Dora, Nip and Fluff. I think they were the forerunner of the Janet and John books.

You had to read a succession of books in a particular order. When you finished them all (Dick and Dora, blue books 1-5 and green books 1-5) only then were you allowed to read novels by proper childrens authors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 29
@MancBee I think Hotes is right, I liked the Secret Seven better and it's definitely the Salford in me (although nowt wrong with the schools, I'd read every book in the school library by the end of infants AND we did Latin) but they'd be much more use in a fight.
I have a village with three corners book upstairs somewhere...
Back on topic, the Famous Five is making me think of the inFamous Five Housemates.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I remember reading the FF / SS / Mallory Towers and Swallows and Amazons as a young girl of around 6-7. I can’t remember specifically which books I read in Primary School (started at 4, was nearly 5, v early 90s) but the bulk of us could read the basics as that was taught in nursery school and my grannys were both primary school teachers so big on encouraging it. My mum is also a nurse. Am I talented and gifted? Am I Jack?

(The answer is no, I’m just roundly middle class-ish with an encouraging family, which I appreciate is very lucky)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 44
Why does she have to call everything the wrong name in her weird bid to sound fancy and knowledgeable? It actually has the opposite effect in truth. Just call it courgette and Halloumi pasta, nothing wrong with that.

We had Cathy and Mark books, with 'Mother' and 'Dad', although I think they'd been phased out by the time my sister started 2yrs later. I'd definitely started reading adult books in primary school. It's not the flex Jack thinks it is, especially if you grew up before the real boom in Y/A and kids fiction.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Why does she have to call everything the wrong name in her weird bid to sound fancy and knowledgeable? It actually has the opposite effect in truth. Just call it courgette and Halloumi pasta, nothing wrong with that.

We had Cathy and Mark books, with 'Mother' and 'Dad', although I think they'd been phased out by the time my sister started 2yrs later. I'd definitely started reading adult books in primary school. It's not the flex Jack thinks it is, especially if you grew up before the real boom in Y/A and kids fiction.
Like...early to mid 80s?

Reactions: 13
Jack springing out of the tree whilst the guru ignores her high five hand. I'm dead. Peak cringe.
Honourable mentions too, to the "mad writer"line and being totally clueless with a drill - this the woman who has done photo shoots in DIY gear complete with elaborate tool belt and who brags about her self-sufficiency credentials. She is the gift that keeps on giving...

• Haha
Reactions: 33
I could read before I started school don’t remember famous five or secret seven. I used to go to junior school library whilst in infants for books, never thought anything of it till now. 🥲 I missed sailing through childhood as gifted 🥲

Reactions: 24
Possible can of worms/slop here - but truly get that we’re in a climate crisis and if you don’t like your means to work being blocked wait til Pompei happens in Croydon but so unsurprised to see Jack fraternising with the utter bellends blocking the M25 for everyone today

Reactions: 26
I have been wracking my brains to remember the first books we read at school. Thanks to Google, I finally got there.
Dick and Dora, Nip and Fluff. I think they were the forerunner of the Janet and John books.

You had to read a succession of books in a particular order. When you finished them all (Dick and Dora, blue books 1-5 and green books 1-5) only then were you allowed to read novels byproper childrens authors.
My reading books were Janet and John. I have a copy of one from my childhood (1960’s). It is so sexist - John helping Daddy with the car and Janet helping Mummy in the kitchen 🙄.
I had forgotten about having to read all the set books before being unleashed on the real books.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.