Jack Monroe #195 She basically writes fan-fiction about herself

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s happened mithering ninnies. Jack has invaded my every being. I’m currently reading a Val McDermaid (Karen Pirie) novel set in Edinburgh and she’s gone to Dishoom and my first thought was JM. I was at a friends and they offered me kombucha and I pointedly refused because i associate it with them. Please find me a suitable aparthotel where I can get help.

• Haha
Reactions: 49
I tried Gousto boxes for the first time recently and one of their curry kits uses clotted cream (!!) When I opened the box, my first thought was that jack had been given a job on their production line and that she must have been responsible for this heinous culinary assault on my home soil.

Incase anyone is curious I made said curry with said clotted cream and it was edible but I would never choose to eat it again.
Back to my Grunk, Love you cabal❤
Perhaps Jack should get into the meal box game. Call it 'Jack in the Box'. Every week (whenever Jack can be bothered), you'll get a tin of chickpeas, a bag of mouldy salad to make pesto, and whatever yellow sticker stuff is in ASDA this week.

First boxes are definitely going out this week, soon, just as soon as she's over the long COVID. OK, sorry you're starving to death but she's BUSY. Stop e-mailling me about your boxes, I'm in treatment!

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 72
Today’s on the walk to school non sequitur from miss 5. ‘My grandpa is DEAD’

I managed not to snort.

(It is true she was 1 and is currently fascinated by the concept of him not being here)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
I actively avoid companies that engage heavily with influencers. Isle of Wight tomatoes springs to mind along with those awful Lucy and Yuk jumpsuits. I am still recovering from the sea of gifted paeonies on Insta last year.
Same. I make a mental note of the venues and companies that use influencers and I don't give them my custom.

I unfollowed an Insta couple recently who said they had reached out to a company asking for free hiking boots in exchange for pictures/promo. If you want some new hiking boots.....buy some new hiking boots.

Then maybe ask the brand if you can offer a discount code that you get some commission on. At least then you've spent some money yourself ON THE THING YOU WANTED.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
It’s happened mithering ninnies. Jack has invaded my every being. I’m currently reading a Val McDermaid (Karen Pirie) novel set in Edinburgh and she’s gone to Dishoom and my first thought was JM. I was at a friends and they offered me kombucha and I pointedly refused because i associate it with them. Please find me a suitable aparthotel where I can get help.
The other day I was trying to help my flatmate with (spoilered task BC a bit gross, let's just say some kind of household task If you're eating/easily queasy ) tips for unblocking a toilst drain and came across an article by someone named Hattie Gladwell on how to do it using washing up liquid 😂 I was like "it can't be" but I think it was THE Hattie. Truly she is a fountain of knowledge.

There is no escape once these threads have their hooks in you 😂 even an innocent glove/pigeon reminds me of you all

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
Morning all, now we've turned into the Now That’s What I Call Jack thread, thought I'd revisit the purple prose that is the Top Tips book:
View attachment 628726
Paid by the word, eh? 🤔
Gotta get the original period fixtures in there, even if it is a rented house as specified. I love that though, like she's disavowing ownership of the house and implying renting is for poors and ohhh the struggle and then in the next sentence its 'please, accept these fancy features in lieu of my personality'.

I'm assuming that is a piece by Jack and not something out of Viz, it's hard to tell.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Covering your windows with bubble wrap like it's the apocalypse or something

If there is a fuel burning device in the room it can be very dangerous too. Coal fires, wood burning stoves, gas fires, or even gas hobs all need oxygen for combustion and for the chimney or flue to work efficiently. If used in a room with inadequate ventilation they can produce flammable and/or toxic gases.

In my career as a building surveyor I have seen the effects of people stuffing up air vents in windows and walls. One man died when he blocked a wall vent because he said it was causing draughts, I had visited him just a month earlier and removed the blockage. He clearly re-blocked the vent as soon as I left.

In another case, someone that did as Jack has suggested, blocking all air entering the room around the window, ended up having an explosion which wrecked the front part of the house, and fire damage to the rest of the house.

Nice to see Fire Service Jack giving out dangerous advice that could lead to fire, property damage and even death.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 66
That actually got published???
No, not yet (thank the Lord Jesus Compton), but she went through a phase of giving out tasty snippets from it here and there 🤢 including using tumble dryer fluff and hair from the plughole as firefighters 🤪

Auto 🥕 firelighters 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 35
On the continued subject of grifting...

Grifter Gladwell has over 30k followers on her twitter and the breakdown advertorial (certainly not a magazine when it’s latest tweets are shilling for CBD lubes and plant based food competitions that no doubt come from her PR company) has 11k followers. Guess what though. The scoundrel has flipped her personal account to private so the glamping holiday will get even less reach now. Shameless. And - frankly, more fool the camping company that threw her the bone to begin with.

Also - Hi Hattie. It’s clear you have caught up here. Just know, we bleeping see you. Really not keen on your tit being exposed for what it is, are you. You are no better than Jack and I hope every minute of your #gifted holiday sucks the big one.

Anyway - still glad Jackie is absent. Hope the cat and the rabbit and the kid are ok. Indifferent entirely about Jacks well-being. She deserves everything she has coming to her.

As an aside, you can do wonders with a Kallax, a set of legs, and some imagination, if you want a good, practical and useful sideboard on the cheap. Ikea hacks on the internet can make Cotswolds look like the boring, mundane, middle class ick that they are. At a considerable saving too!
Maybe Hattie Gladwell can come on here and tell us what she did with the £15000 she raised to publish a book in 2018.

I'm sure there is an innocent explanation and the money is being held separately and the book will be posted out soon but right now people would be forgiven for thinking there is something dodgy going on.

It's very wrong that people can get away with this kind of thing.

ETA: I thought blue tickers were not able to have locked accounts?

• Heart
Reactions: 42
If there is a fuel burning device in the room it can be very dangerous too. Coal fires, wood burning stoves, gas fires, or even gas hobs all need oxygen for combustion and for the chimney or flue to work efficiently. If used in a room with inadequate ventilation they can produce flammable and/or toxic gases.

In my career as a building surveyor I have seen the effects of people stuffing up air vents in windows and walls. One man died when he blocked a wall vent because he said it was causing draughts, I had visited him just a month earlier and removed the blockage. He clearly re-blocked the vent as soon as I left.

In another case, someone that did as Jack has suggested, blocking all air entering the room around the window, ended up having an explosion which wrecked the front part of the house, and fire damage to the rest of the house.

Nice to see Fire Service Jack giving out dangerous advice that could lead to fire, property damage and even death.
That's fuckin terrifying. My parents had a fancy gas fire fitted when they were renovating their house years ago and there was so much red tape and inspections and additional vents added just so they could run one fire without dying in a room that has the square footage of a floor of your average two up two down. You'd think stuff like this would be common sense but often isn't (i nearly did myself a mischief the other month using an entire CO2 extinguisher in a very very enclosed and unventilated space.

Ya don't seem to see the public safety campaigns you used to in the 70s through to the 90s (although some, like the Savile-fronted Stranger Danger campaign should probably remain in the past as a relic and a darkly ironic reminder). So it'd be a great niche for someone with experience in the area who's sick of their current occupation but of course fire service/personal safety Jack is a massive liability and it'd wind up like the time Mrs Hinch told everyone to unscrew their sinks and they all flooded their kitchens, but with more fire.

• Heart
Reactions: 38

I don't think that was Jack, it was Top Tips from Viz magazine (a piss take).

I do know you can get film for windows though, my friend used it in her highland cottage with only a coal fire. I had no idea it could be dangerous using it but it makes sense.

Reactions: 15
As part of my "Small Creative Business", I occasionally get asked to donate items to charity auctions. It's not a wholly selfless act - the organisers usually promote my website and Instagram, and that's great publicity for me, as well as supporting the charity, and it's such a great way to help raise money. I've had some real shockers in the past tho:

I gave what I considered to be one of my best pieces to a friend who was running an auction for a small charity she was the treasurer of, and when I went along to the auction, my work wasn't there. When I queried it, she said, "Oh we liked it so much we kept it but made a donation to the charity". Naturally she wouldn't tell me how much, and because my work wasn't on show I lost out on all the publicity.

On another occasion I took a long taxi trip with a piece, and when I got the charity office was told buy the organiser to "sling it on the pile", and he didn't look up from his phone or say thanks.

Another donation was made to a person raising money for a child needing medical care. Mine sold for £350, and the total raised was in the tens of thousands, then the organiser fucked off to Greece with all the dosh.

It's such a shame, because the good feelings I get from helping to raise money are just...tarnished...by crappy stuff like that, and put me off doing it again.

I just don't get the absolute nerve of people begging for holidays and stuff. These idiots (Instagrammers) aren't even trying to raise money for anything worthwhile. - just for themselves. I'm glad that businesses don't feel they have to bend over backwards for some nobody to say their holiday was "Fabulous, Guys!!!"

Rant. Over.:D
I could never beg like this. Begging for food to feed yourself or your family ok, bur because you think you need a holiday... Yeah duck off!

Everyone has suffered this past 18 months, no one has had it worse or better we have all been fucked. Why is one person more deserving than the next. The thing that makes me laugh is these people are front and centre if fighting the causes yet, they take all the freebies for themselves. Why doesnt she get a free trip and give it to the poor sod who doesnt have much.

They are ignorant and selfish people and i would not part with my last 5p to fund them.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I remember on MSE it used to be a thing to cover windows with bubble wrap. I never thought of the safety aspect tbh, more along the lines of making you look like an absolute nutter or like a crack den. But yes, for someone who brags about their fire service experience (🙄) Jack really is not fire safety conscious at all @MancBee

• Haha
Reactions: 33
'Very beautiful but old and more than slightly rotten' is my new Tinder bio. Despite her fire service training she seems to actively be making her home more flammable, like when she put all those rolls of paper in her kitchen and distributed slow cookers throughout the house. She even turned a perfectly serviceable shed into an enormous fire hazard and was using various appliances that get hot when they were stacked up over head height. Honestly I'm surprised she has to keep inventing injuries and hasn't sustained any real ones yet.

• Haha
Reactions: 49
I remember on MSE it used to be a thing to cover windows with bubble wrap. I never thought of the safety aspect tbh, more along the lines of making you look like an absolute nutter or like a crack den. But yes, for someone who brags about their fire service experience (🙄) Jack really is not fire safety conscious at all @MancBee
I remember her promoting heating a room with tealights and flowerpots. I dont think that's very safe.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.