Jack Monroe #194 She only came back cos we were about to put out an album

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello, wonderful people! Not to take this absolutely true real life story too seriously, but I had an international question — is “white trash” commonly used in the UK? I’m having a hard time understanding how it’d be used outside North America, because it’s so tied to race relations in North America, particularly the US South. “Trailer trash” was way more common when I was growing up in Canada, probably because it side-stepped the race issue.

Is this just another glaring Americanism from Jack? Or is it less racially charged over there? Do people use this term or just hear it in US media? Cause it means a lot more than poor or uneducated or tacky. Hell of a lot more. Nothing to do with nice bags, and bragging about a label is about as tacky as it gets, in my opinion. My guess speculation is some lady made a face while holding in a fart near Jack and the rest is ego-stroking fantasy.
White Trash isn’t a term I know to be used commonly in the UK

Reactions: 49
My sister, who is white, is married to a British Indian and has three adorable mixed race babies. She was called "white trash" one day on the street by some middle aged white bloke whilst she was with her family. I definitely think it's more of an American thing but sadly used here too.

My sister was fine by the way and handled the whole situation like a legend.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
6095F582-4844-43F0-9472-38124CD74B0C.jpeg

Lights are back on, 20 minutes before sunset. Thank LJC and the infinite Slopbot.
My lovely SIL sent me a face mask (above) which I shall wear next time I'm on the train. A preemptive strike against unruly man spreaders!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
Just to go back to the white trash for a minute, surely 'chav' or something would be the English equivalent? Meanwhile, in Scotland, it would be 'ned'.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
She's just stuck a boiled egg into a tub of taramasalata hasn't she? And posted it on insta.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 71
I'm a bit delicate this morning and that abomination has taken me from queasy to chunderous.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 51
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.