Jack Monroe #193 Mama, pass the UNICEF statistics and the Hansards!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Read (skimmed) the article and apologies for the lukewarm takes!

1. Who the fack is Emilie Lavinia, a cardboard cutout character from a Harry Potter book?
  2. 'artificial arenas that mimic private conversations among friends' aka the Internet since the dawn of time (and I have made many 'real' close relationships with people that I've met online, forums and chat rooms exist for like-minded people)
  3. If your platform/lifestyle becomes a brand that you wish to monetise, you will attract criticism if you fail to deliver the content that your followers expect
  4. Using vague buzzwords like 'accountability' does not make a word salad anymore salient. Please, dear heart, feel free to elaborate
PS:

Screenshot 2021-06-05 at 15.42.05.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
Will Jack post another time lapse video this week? One where she puts all the furniture she moved about last week back to where it came from. Then she can declare that she has transformed all the rooms that she previously emptied. And it didn't cost a penny. 🤪🤪🤪

In the year or so that I have been on here I have lost count of the rooms/landing/garage/shed/reading nooks, that she has repurposed. How many places has she announced is her new office space? How many units have been into, and out of, the kitchen? It is all just performative nonsense. Then there was the colour coding of the books, then the bookshelves were moved, then they were moved again. No wonder she is exhausted.
And every single iteration is ‘the perfect place/spot for sleeping/working/chilling/grifting’. Utter performative bollox.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Also regarding the researching stuff, anything I have seen researched on here as been for public access, so technically no rules are broken looking at them or else they wouldn't be so easily accessed and if everything was hunky dory why would you care.

Reactions: 30
I see the author of that Grazia piece also writes for .... The Breakdown.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 59
I've made IRL friends from forums in the past. Two of my friends I met on a comedy forum in the mid 2000s.

We've seen pictures of people from this thread meeting up IRL.

It's clear the writer has zero experience of making internet friends or internet forums in general.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I've made IRL friends from forums in the past. Two of my friends I met on a comedy forum in the mid 2000s.

We've seen pictures of people from this thread meeting up IRL.

It's clear the writer has zero experience of making internet friends or internet forums in general.
These people make *contacts* on twitter, not friends.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Also have the not see the off topic thread, yeah memes one is brutal😉 so is what was the last 3 things you bought? Yep this whole hellsite is just basically a bullying forum🙄

I get that some threads may be quite brutal but I also think the mods are very good at making sure it doesn't go too far.

The same cannot be said for twitter. Some of the things I have heard being said on there is truly awful.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
I do think it’s interesting that “us” gen X types/xennials/older millennials were brought up seeing the worst behaviour by the press- actual doxxing, sexism, racism and homophobia on the front pages.
We also grew up with a robust culture of satire- spitting image, HIGNFY, basically any UK C4 comedy.
We lived through the OK magazine crazes- when paps could legally upskirt, who wore it best, circle of shame.

Our whole culture is based around bitching, taking the piss and being scathing especially to public figures. I mean, why is it a surprise that such a culture spawned tattle? And I really want to stand up for taking the piss. A lot of what we do is taking the piss out of the ridiculous content these people put out. Maybe don’t put out personal stuff if people taking the piss out of it upsets you?
Totally - or Hotally! agree. The younger generations seem a lot more self obsessed, as in they are more concerned about their image online and that does not lend itself to pisstaking. They are terribly earnest, and want to #bekind but can’t laugh at themselves. Gross generalisation im sure loads of young people have a robust sense of humour, but it’s not as dark, or weird or borderline. And they police thought a lot. I don’t really like Frankie Boyle’s early comedy, bit too close to the bone for me, but I’ve never tried to cancel him, I just don’t watch.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
That film story has to be one of the most ridiculous things she's ever fabricated. Just how did a big budget film producer even hear of our Southend Slop Princess? Were they scouring the internet for someone who could help them use their single carrot, jar of salmon paste, ailing salad and six tins of beans and hit upon her blog? They said 'yes, audiences will go wild for this compelling tale of a young conventionally attractive white woman who comfortably grew up in a middle class household and had a cushy well-paying job in the fire service then fell on hard times which consisted of having no lightbulbs for six months and going to a food bank once'.

• Haha
Reactions: 59
Also loving the chat about 'influencers'. It seems a viable option for younger people to sell their life Truman style so they never have to actually work!
Ironically, it will mean they are always working, creating content from things that 9-5 people do on their time off, when they released, have fun, etc. I don't envy influencers one bit, constantly having to think of their brand etc. It's much more fun to be judged and paid for something impersonal you create (with fun I mean, probably better for your mental health).

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.