Jack Monroe #19 Is it a show? Miguel's not sure. I am Jack, hear me ROAR!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
social media is a strange thing at the moment. A colleague of mine posted a story talking about a single negative comment out of about 40 on their recent post. ( We’re in a creative industry).
I immediately went to check out this awful negative comment and it was something along the lines of “this is cute, not keen on the composition”. That was it!
So the person replied with a passive aggressive reply then jumped on stories to have a moan about it.

Yes social media should be a positive place and not a place for nastiness and hate but ffs there should be space for a difference of opinion without having a hissy fit!
Surely It’s unhealthy to post things just for validation?

And while I’m here, why do people turn into dicks when they have a large number of insta followers? They seem to think they’re celebs, I’m talking anything from 5k up and I’m probably being generous. The ego is insane!

What a strange world we live in.

p.s I’ll stop quoting you now @BeautifulTrauma

Reactions: 21
She’s just an awful person, so fucking blinded by her own ego.
You are so right, how can these sycophants not see what we all do? I would love to just spend 10 minutes with Nigella, the blue tickers et al and tell them some truths. I just don't get it, what the hell are they seeing?

Reactions: 7
I always said I could never kill myself, that if my life got so bad I didn’t think it was worth living, that I’d devote it to helping other people.

When something happened that left me in so much psychological pain that I often wished I was dead just to make it stop I finally understood/had much more empathy for those who live in such torment that they can’t bear it any more.

(This was years ago and I’m mostly fine now).

Reactions: 22

Without diverting from JM - I did notice that the ongoing mouldy sweet potatoes and excess beetroot issues were addressed with several tips from non-JM posters, but these were all ignored. The whole dynamic on her feed is strange. Jack polices it like Caligula, and followers mirror her behaviour.

Prime example below of the fakery. Note that they don't refer to an undeniably uncool act like Steps or Rick Astley. Bring on the sycophantic enablers!!

Reactions: 10
I couldn’t resist pointing out the irony to a few who said things like “why so nasty? Get a life”/ “that’s rude, crawl back under a rock” and got an eye roll and a “that’s nice dear” back.

I’ve concluded that Jack and Ruby Tandoh are devoting their life’s work to hating everything and everyone, especially men in power. They both spout about politics and play the victim and seem to be missing even an ounce of joy in their souls. And their food offerings look like vomit. Rinsed vomit. Probably just need a can of chickpeas chucked in though.

Reactions: 15
I wish you well and hope that you have someone to comfort you. My mother killed herself when she was 52 and I don't think that I'll really get over it although I have tucked it away for a long time now. It's like carrying a massive rucksack of rocks on your back, initially you don't think that you can place one foot in front of another but then you realise that you have to and keep plodding on. After a while you straighten up and march quicker and in the end you don't even notice the rucksack and it just becomes a part of you x

Reactions: 35
I know the thread has moved on but oh my God the Instagram video from last night was just painful to watch. Total cringe

Reactions: 15
Just catching up and oh my goodness, I’m sorry for what you’ve been through and what you’re going through right now. Please try to keep an eye on your mental health as that seems like quite a sudden drop (obviously I don’t know the context) and seek help if you need it. I feel like not challenging these feelings starts you on a slippery slope that’s never needed but especially not in these weird times x

Reactions: 9
Updated list:
Chip shop worker
Call handler - Essex Fire & Rescue Service
Sex worker
Chef
Author
Poet
Photographer
Supermarket worker
Bar worker/shot server
Body Shop rep
Singer
Politician (potentially)
Reporter
Journalist
Political activist
Sunday school teacher
TV presenter

I'm not sure that I have the emotional bandwidth for much more tonight. I keep crying with laughter at the worse things that you have ever done thread and and think that I should go and grout the last little bits of my mosaic until it is collected tomorrow. N'nite, lovelies x

Reactions: 17
I've been looking at Miguel's recipes...interesting. Might try one for my dinner this week. maybe not the promo JM is looking for.

Jack, I really don't think you're supposed to use camping stoves indoors.
At the start of lockdown I got in a total slump with cooking, both freelance so we were scrimping until we knew when we could work again (husband not for ages yet, me thankfully a bit now) and I used Miguel's £1 vegetarian book a lot. A fair repetition of ingredients which guess is due to th cost implications of others, but a good variety of meal ideas. Really helped me when I needed it.

Reactions: 14

Jesus fucking Christ

I mean I get what she’s trying to say - the U.K. is far from a post-poverty utopia. I’ve seen countless news reports & academic studies that show that time and time again the U.K. is lagging behind similarly rich nations in so many ways, I have personal experience of how messed up the system can be, I know other people have similar experiences, etc etc etc

But you just don’t compare Southend to Tanzania. It’s a different kettle of fish (don’t be taking recipe inspiration from that phrase, Jack)

Reactions: 27
I do wonder (pure speculation, of course) if it's this meeting that inspired Jack to add sex work to her back story.

Reactions: 6
Jesus fuck.

I've worked in hospitals across that region and seen things that were so distressing, I had terrible flashbacks for a very long time.

Fairly sure I could visit Southend and return potentially sad but otherwise untraumatised (although that man with the gammy leg sounds quite distressing).

Reactions: 23
My sibling died a while ago now. It wasn't suicide but it was traumatic. Generally we don't talk about losing a sibling and I don't think people realise how important a loss it can be. I love the analogy of a rucksack. That's exactly how I felt and feel to this day. Sometimes its heavy, sometimes not but for me it's always there because my sibling is always missing.

Sorry, off topic but wanted to acknowledge your post. Back to Jack.....

Reactions: 24
I do wonder (pure speculation, of course) if it's this meeting that inspired Jack to add sex work to her back story.
Interesting theory - so she never mentioned sex work until after the Tanzania trip?
I hope to god this isn’t true as it’s so gross, but I put nothing past Jack

The marketing company behind the Hellman's / Unilever ads must have spent a pretty penny on advertising to push jack into feeds as one of her promo videos has 10 times more views than she usually gets. All for 300 odd viewers to watch a "cook" that doesn't know that potatoes come in variety's and did nothing to explain why the branded mayo is worth paying three times the price of the Lidl alternative. *Slow clap*

It's just so offbrand to be promoting a brand when that woman has spent her whole career talking about taking the cheaper option. She even said she prefers carrots to sweet potatoes as they're cheaper, that was one of the highlights in her showreel

Last edited:
Reactions: 23
Yup. There’s some crappy areas and people in bad situations here but that’s the same in most places across the uk. It’s no where near Tanzania levels (from what I’ve read of it)

There’s quite a few tattlers around this area, we’d show you the nicer places!

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.