Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

lipsticktaser

VIP Member

Just read those articles and I'm astounded at her ego. Also having a picture of her in between two black campaigners when she is likening her struggle to a person in developing nation is at best crass, and at worse systemic racism. It's like showing empty china town pictures when talking about Covid.

She was the hired entertainment but makes it out like she was sitting doing mind maps with DC and crew about how to fix the world. The more I find out about her, the less I find her palatable. I can take the textureless food, but this alignment of being the authority of poverty and food poverty in the UK is galling.

It really pisses me off that she doesn't talking about malnutrition. There is more to food insecurity than just empty cupboards. There are roughly 2million people suffering from malnutrition in the Uk. There was a sharp increase in pediatric malnutrition hospital admissions (england and Wales) around the time of the 2007/8 crash. Poverty leading to inadequate nutrition is one of the most prolific health issues ever. And it can be avoided. As funds go down people look for calorie dense cheap food. Cheap sausages, waffles, etc. This is why her books are not helpful as people don't have the capacity in a budget to waste food on a three tin mystery dinner.

If she wanted to help she could campaign for better school meals, free school meals, joining the charity I posted about in another thread making the free nutritious school meals.

If she wanted to help she could show how to turn cheap fresh food into easy stored meals. Sausages out the shell, chopped garlic, thawed chopped frozen broccoli in a pan. The sausages will release fat, so need for oil. Boil cheap pasta. Drain pasta and keep a bit of the water. Season sausage mixture to taste (salt, pepper and chilli flake for me) mush the broccoli up a bit, add parmesan in you have it and some of the pasta water. Stir. Add pasta and you have a cheap meal thats hitting more food groups than sausage and chips.

You can campaign and do good without it being for the gram. Marcus Rashford (PL footballer) was reliant on school meals as a child. Realising what the lockdown meant for those children reliant on school meals he done something about it. Working with a charity he has been helping feed them and helped raise £20m. Thats making change. That's helping. That's doing for the good, not the accolades.

She has no idea about the sociopolitical reasonings for poverty and how nuanced it is. A lot of people one broken car/washing mashing away from seriously financial problems. So for someone who pays herself a living wage, whilst banking the rest, harping on about inequality is shite. Try having a 0 hour contract, 3 kids and your UC stopped. Homeschooling in a flat with one device that can connect to the internet and 4 kids. Actually being ill with RA and having no one to go to the schops for you, so you're starving because you're scared to go out.

But aye, bang on about fucking mayonnaise because as long as you're still renting you're poor, right?

JM social change, as long as it's brand made!

• Heart
Reactions: 83

MancBee

VIP Member
From the echo news article she actually incorrectly quoted and in the process completely changing its meaning. She said "To paraphrase Desmond Tutu, there comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river, we need to go upstream, and find out who is pushing them in.”
What he actually said was “There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they're falling in.”

There's a world of difference between falling in and being pushed in. She clearly was trying to play the blame game. My poverty is just a matter of circumstances, and to be honest no one "pushed me" I just fell into poverty. Being told I had a year or so to live, I spent like Viv Nicholson after a Pools win, after my partner died I went through my inheritance from him too. It did me no good, in fact it probably was a factor in my breakdown. Nobody pushed me, it was circumstances.

My sister said the other day "god you've had a difficult life, all that abuse and crap about being gay back in the day, losing your other half and so many of your friends to AIDS, then all this shit with your health." I replied truthfully that I didn't see it that way, I focus on the fun times and the love and support of my friends and family. Being part of the gay community fighting for acceptance and equality was an amazing time in the 70's and 80's. Manchester was the epicenter of the gay community at the time. I lost nearly every one of my friends through the 80's and 90's, AIDS was a nightmare I thought I would never wake up from. But that taught me to cherish every moment. Through all that I have had a wonderful life, and still do. What's the saying, life is what you make it.

It has been great to speak about my past on here, it has been cathartic to vent. Hope my rants are not too self absorbed. I don't want you all to think I'm woe is me, nothing could be further from the truth.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 83

AmTellinYa

Chatty Member
First time posting here after lurking for a week or so.

I just felt compelled after her latest bout of self pitying bollocks on Twitter to either erupt into an unhealthy stream of swearyness and shoutyness at my own four walls or just share here that I think JM is an utter twat and I just can not stand one more of her posts. As someone who has been through two breakdowns, and has been homeless and suffers with anxiety and depression, she is an absolute fraud and she actually is extremely triggering for people like me and I'm sure from reading others stories here, for others too.

Before I go back to lurking again for now, I just want to give a virtual hug to anyone who needs one today. Not you Jack, you self obsessed bint.

xx

• Heart
Reactions: 57

Ladderedtights

Dear All,

I’ve been lurking and loving your posts. The sense of community here is wonderful and I’ve noted some cookbooks and recipes you’ve mentioned.
A few years ago I was a Jack fan but somehow none of her recipes really worked. I began to be wary of her when she was quite mercurial in her stance on transitioning. I worry about her son and the many people (Mrs J’s) who become a part of his life and then leave. I thought her behaviour towards JO was vile and her mask really slipped. BUT TONIGHT, without a trigger warning, she shared images of broken glass and bleeding bits of her body. Already in her twitter folk have told her should have put a warning or embedded the photos. At my last glance she hasn’t responded to them. Was this the launch she really wanted? Grrrr. Anyway. Thank you for having me.

• Heart
Reactions: 54

Flumps

VIP Member
The idea that she had a "full on mental breakdown" two weeks ago, but is OK now must be so insulting to many people.
It took me over 6 months, from the day I fully collapsed at work, to get back to work. And that was a phased return starting with 3 mornings a week. It was over 10 months before I was back full time, and I used holiday days every week after that until well over a year, so I could keep an eye on myself. Then I would say it was over 6 months past that before I was firing on all cylinders. I've spent the last year or so rebuilding my standing and reputation and I would say it's probably only in the last 10 months that I am performing like I did before (actually better, cos it's not manic) and that's just work. Personal life was even harder and I can be prone to lapses even now.

Sorry guys, ffs, I go on about myself as much as she does. But yes, I would agree. It's hugely insulting.

ETA: I'm going to go and do something nice and non-fury inducing now and sit in the garden for a bit. If anyone sees me back here in the next hour please tell me to fuck off.

• Heart
Reactions: 46

Yel

Chatty Member
The this morning segment for anyone that missed it or wants to relive the magic :D

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46

holliebollie

Chatty Member
I've known of JM for a while (maybe through the Guardian) and have a couple of her books. I feel such a FOOOOOOOOL since reading all these threads about her! To the point I would never admit it to anyone in real life. I even ASKED my mum to buy me the Tin Shit Cook book and feel bad she wasted her money on it. The one and only 'recipe' I tried was the mug marmite pasta and it was the definition of palaver. I haven't opened the book since and thank the good lord, my mum has never asked me about it.

On another note - I told my friends about this site and they said it can't be good for me to be sitting reading people bitch about other people all day. I hate to disagree- bitching gives me LIFE!! :devilish:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
forgot this morning has such an active twitter audience, often see it trending when I'm at work. do you reckon her hounds will be going for everyone?

my fav is the simple:
"No wonder her kids at his dads he ain’t eating that shit #ThisMorning"

• Haha
  • Heart

PoorPatrol

VIP Member
She hasn’t had childcare.... yet his dad apparently has him 50:50 and she’s worked, for what, just mornings for a week? Nobody has had childcare you self obsessed cunt! You have one single ten year old for 50% of the time. You’re not laid up with Covid, looking after a load of toddlers.

Oh AND, she told her mum on fucking Twitter that she would nip out yet again on a non essential paint trip and get her some!

Lying piece of shit she is. It never ends!

• Heart

blurstoftimes

VIP Member
AND STOP SAYING YOU'RE STRESSED ALL THE TIME IT IS SO UNPROFESSIONAL

Sometimes I feel like Jack is a figment of my imagination - the embodiment of all my subconscious anxieties about embarrassing myself in public

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44

blurstoftimes

VIP Member
That grotty chaotic kitchen reminds me of the kitchen at a vegan anarchist centre I used to volunteer in *literally shuddering at the thought*

My kitchen shelves make me happy every single day. All the ugly stuff is hidden behind cupboards

image.jpg

• Heart
I've reported the tweet of her holding a bloodied shard of glass. Shes had 2 hours and numerous tweets asking for a trigger warning.
Her mental health book launches today and that's the image people see on her twitter.

Everything else is mildly amusing/slightly annoying but this is so irresponsible. She knows her sycophants are obsessed with her. She actively courts a market of people with low mental health and she's holding a bloodied shard of glass. I'm fucking apoplectic. *fancy word alert*

• Heart
  • Sad

Mel Donte

Chatty Member
Screenshot_20200528-004645.png

Some genuine advice Jack, because I know you're reading here. Hand addressing envelopes and using stamps is a ridiculous way of sending stuff out. Get yourself some 4 to a page A4 sticky labels. Use Royal Mail Click and Collect to print labels and pay for postage. Unfortunately Big Cartel doesn't integrate with Click and Collect so you'll have to copy and paste the addresses over but it's still much quicker than hand writing them. Perhaps consider moving to Shopify if you're selling a lot? Or lobby Royal Mail to integrate with Big Cartel - we know you love a Twitter campaign!

You can save the details of each of the items that you sell on Click and Collect, including weight and customs code. Which brings me on to...

Order a bunch of CN 22 customs stickers from Royal Mail. They're free. You need to fill one in if you're shipping to outside the EU. The customs code for books is 49011010. Prints is 49119100.

Pop them in the postbox if they'll fit, or at the post office counter if not. If you're spending more than £16,500 a year with Royal Mail you can get free collections. If not you can pay for a weekly collection - prices range from £246 a year for an untimed Saturday collection to £1840 for a timed weekday collection.

There ya go. Saved you a week's work.

• Heart
  • Haha

PennyLoafer

Chatty Member
I actually think she's absolutely raging that her Big Special Book Publication Day hasn't been met with more fanfare and that's why she's lashing out.
That should be the end of her 'career' right there. On her depressipes book launch day, she has just aggressively attacked someone with a vulnerable spouse - someone who just made a benign, well-intentioned suggestion.

Disgusting. That's enough, Jack.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 43

Bellybutton lint

VIP Member
I can picture the reviews from one her more rabid fans.

I woke up feeling like the world was going to end, I have been suffering with depression and just didn't know what to do. And I was so hungry. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Good Food for Bad Days by our national treasure Jack Monroe. Tentatively I reached over and cracked the book open while slowly crawling further under the covers.

Scanning the recipes I came across the self-love stew and my mood was slowly changing while I read the deprecipe.

I pulled my sorry arse out of bed and into the kitchen I crept. Yanking open my smeg I spotted that I had all the ingredients to make this and I quickly got busy, rattling pots and pans. Got out my bread knife and cut the onions and assembled the rest of the ingredients. Slung everything in a cold pan, turned on the heat and let everything come to a vigorous simmer. I felt myself starting to feel cheered by such a simple but effective task.

Once it had turned into a proper slop of cat yak, I turned the heat down and filled a bowl. As this nourishing and kind food hit the pits of my belly, I realised that this was the book I needed, it truly helped me overcome my depression. I feel so good and now will head to Wilkos for paint.

If you only buy one book in your life, this is the one.

1590655937625.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42