Jack Monroe #19 Is it a show? Miguel's not sure. I am Jack, hear me ROAR!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And she uses "misty eyed rhetoric" of once not having much money (I refuse to say she was poor; she was the architect of her own poverty) to justify passing off tit recipies as a way of helping the poor, whilst at the same time raking in the money for herself.

The poor could well do without that sort of help, we have enough to cope with.
Totally agree. I've had times when I've not had much money, but never thought I was living in poverty. I've had a good education and understand how to access resources, there have always been people I can call on, if I couldn't buy stuff I could use what I had, buy second hand, or go without. Poverty is when you run out of options.

As others have said, Jack's poverty is just cos play. I was looking up G8 Einiskillen. Where she said she was invited to and reported from. Correct, she was invited by a campaign group along with other bloggers, and appeared at fringe events, There are also articles where she compared herself to people in the developing word because she's experienced hunger.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 32
I've been looking at Miguel's recipes...interesting. Might try one for my dinner this week. maybe not the promo JM is looking for.

Jack, I really don't think you're supposed to use camping stoves indoors.

Reactions: 12
There are also articles where she compared herself to people in the developing word bevy she's experienced hunger.
I am absolutely APPALLED at this! Can you link any of those article, I would be interested in reading them. Experiencing poverty isn't an Olympic Sport! You are a white woman in a G8 country, simmer down.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 15
I am absolutely APPALLED at this! Can you link any of those article, I would be interested in reading them. Experiencing poverty isn't an Olympic Sport! You are a white woman in a G8 country, simmer down.
Sorry, I can't work out how to do links, but if you search Jack Monroe, G8 and einerskillen(spelling??) You should find the articles.

The ones in the Independent and the Mirror are definitely worth an eye roll.

Just editing to say thanks to Oxford Girl. When it comes to tech I'm such a Jack!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3

Just read those articles and I'm astounded at her ego. Also having a picture of her in between two black campaigners when she is likening her struggle to a person in developing nation is at best crass, and at worse systemic racism. It's like showing empty china town pictures when talking about Covid.

She was the hired entertainment but makes it out like she was sitting doing mind maps with DC and crew about how to fix the world. The more I find out about her, the less I find her palatable. I can take the textureless food, but this alignment of being the authority of poverty and food poverty in the UK is galling.

It really pisses me off that she doesn't talking about malnutrition. There is more to food insecurity than just empty cupboards. There are roughly 2million people suffering from malnutrition in the Uk. There was a sharp increase in pediatric malnutrition hospital admissions (england and Wales) around the time of the 2007/8 crash. Poverty leading to inadequate nutrition is one of the most prolific health issues ever. And it can be avoided. As funds go down people look for calorie dense cheap food. Cheap sausages, waffles, etc. This is why her books are not helpful as people don't have the capacity in a budget to waste food on a three tin mystery dinner.

If she wanted to help she could campaign for better school meals, free school meals, joining the charity I posted about in another thread making the free nutritious school meals.

If she wanted to help she could show how to turn cheap fresh food into easy stored meals. Sausages out the shell, chopped garlic, thawed chopped frozen broccoli in a pan. The sausages will release fat, so need for oil. Boil cheap pasta. Drain pasta and keep a bit of the water. Season sausage mixture to taste (salt, pepper and chilli flake for me) mush the broccoli up a bit, add parmesan in you have it and some of the pasta water. Stir. Add pasta and you have a cheap meal thats hitting more food groups than sausage and chips.

You can campaign and do good without it being for the gram. Marcus Rashford (PL footballer) was reliant on school meals as a child. Realising what the lockdown meant for those children reliant on school meals he done something about it. Working with a charity he has been helping feed them and helped raise £20m. Thats making change. That's helping. That's doing for the good, not the accolades.

She has no idea about the sociopolitical reasonings for poverty and how nuanced it is. A lot of people one broken car/washing mashing away from seriously financial problems. So for someone who pays herself a living wage, whilst banking the rest, harping on about inequality is shite. Try having a 0 hour contract, 3 kids and your UC stopped. Homeschooling in a flat with one device that can connect to the internet and 4 kids. Actually being ill with RA and having no one to go to the schops for you, so you're starving because you're scared to go out.

But aye, bang on about bleeping mayonnaise because as long as you're still renting you're poor, right?

JM social change, as long as it's brand made!

• Heart
Reactions: 83
Just read those articles and I'm astounded at her ego. Also having a picture of her in between two black campaigners when she is likening her struggle to a person in developing nation is at best crass, and at worse systemic racism. It's like showing empty china town pictures when talking about Covid.

She was the hired entertainment but makes it out like she was sitting doing mind maps with DC and crew about how to fix the world. The more I find out about her, the less I find her palatable. I can take the textureless food, but this alignment of being the authority of poverty and food poverty in the UK is galling.

It really pisses me off that she doesn't talking about malnutrition. There is more to food insecurity than just empty cupboards. There are roughly 2million people suffering from malnutrition in the Uk. There was a sharp increase in pediatric malnutrition hospital admissions (england and Wales) around the time of the 2007/8 crash. Poverty leading to inadequate nutrition is one of the most prolific health issues ever. And it can be avoided. As funds go down people look for calorie dense cheap food. Cheap sausages, waffles, etc. This is why her books are not helpful as people don't have the capacity in a budget to waste food on a three tin mystery dinner.

If she wanted to help she could campaign for better school meals, free school meals, joining the charity I posted about in another thread making the free nutritious school meals.

If she wanted to help she could show how to turn cheap fresh food into easy stored meals. Sausages out the shell, chopped garlic, thawed chopped frozen broccoli in a pan. The sausages will release fat, so need for oil. Boil cheap pasta. Drain pasta and keep a bit of the water. Season sausage mixture to taste (salt, pepper and chilli flake for me) mush the broccoli up a bit, add parmesan in you have it and some of the pasta water. Stir. Add pasta and you have a cheap meal thats hitting more food groups than sausage and chips.

You can campaign and do good without it being for the gram. Marcus Rashford (PL footballer) was reliant on school meals as a child. Realising what the lockdown meant for those children reliant on school meals he done something about it. Working with a charity he has been helping feed them and helped raise £20m. Thats making change. That's helping. That's doing for the good, not the accolades.

She has no idea about the sociopolitical reasonings for poverty and how nuanced it is. A lot of people one broken car/washing mashing away from seriously financial problems. So for someone who pays herself a living wage, whilst banking the rest, harping on about inequality is shite. Try having a 0 hour contract, 3 kids and your UC stopped. Homeschooling in a flat with one device that can connect to the internet and 4 kids. Actually being ill with RA and having no one to go to the schops for you, so you're starving because you're scared to go out.

But aye, bang on about bleeping mayonnaise because as long as you're still renting you're poor, right?

JM social change, as long as it's brand made!
Brilliant, just brilliant post. Thank you for this.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I know we have that list as long as your arm of all the jobs she's done but reading those articles made me realise how many opportunities she's had that she's either:

A) squandered away leaving her literally a Jack of all trades and needing her patreon begging bowl or
B) done very well out of and has a freelance portfolio career that has provided a decent (if unsteady) income which makes the patreon even more unpalatable.

I don't know which option is worse. So many people (myself included) would love a faction of the opportunities she's had and yet she's just poor old incompetent, 'don't pick on her it's tight', Jack.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
done very well out of and has a freelance portfolio career that has provided a decent (if unsteady) income which makes the patreon even more unpalatable.
I'm going for B.
My opinion only (don't sue me) is that she is addicted to free money, paypal and patreon and will play the poverty thing until every last pence has been squeezed from every last soul. Her arrogance knows no bounds and as long as she has those sycophants defending her, she will play it for all it is worth.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
From the echo news article she actually incorrectly quoted and in the process completely changing its meaning. She said "To paraphrase Desmond Tutu, there comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river, we need to go upstream, and find out who is pushing them in.”
What he actually said was “There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they're falling in.”

There's a world of difference between falling in and being pushed in. She clearly was trying to play the blame game. My poverty is just a matter of circumstances, and to be honest no one "pushed me" I just fell into poverty. Being told I had a year or so to live, I spent like Viv Nicholson after a Pools win, after my partner died I went through my inheritance from him too. It did me no good, in fact it probably was a factor in my breakdown. Nobody pushed me, it was circumstances.

My sister said the other day "god you've had a difficult life, all that abuse and crap about being gay back in the day, losing your other half and so many of your friends to AIDS, then all this tit with your health." I replied truthfully that I didn't see it that way, I focus on the fun times and the love and support of my friends and family. Being part of the gay community fighting for acceptance and equality was an amazing time in the 70's and 80's. Manchester was the epicenter of the gay community at the time. I lost nearly every one of my friends through the 80's and 90's, AIDS was a nightmare I thought I would never wake up from. But that taught me to cherish every moment. Through all that I have had a wonderful life, and still do. What's the saying, life is what you make it.

It has been great to speak about my past on here, it has been cathartic to vent. Hope my rants are not too self absorbed. I don't want you all to think I'm woe is me, nothing could be further from the truth.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 83

Here's another similar one

• Wow
Reactions: 3
@Instabums @Flumps

Your posts have literally blown my mind. I cannot believe I never considered the possibility that people who aren't mentally ill don't consider self harm/suicide valid options.

I don't know how to do the spoiler thing so I'm sorry if I trigger anything 🙈
You do the spoiler thing by clicking on the little dots, then choosing spoiler, give it a title and click continue then type your content in between the spoiler tags (should auto put the cursor in the right place)

Yep. Blew my mind too. Sorry to be a mental illness cliche, but I have (and tbh do, though exceptionally rarely now) self harmed. Again, and sorry to him for constantly using him as an example, but partner was/is horrified by it. To me, it's just an option, and I tried to explain to him once that I choose it instead of something more permanent, because it's enough to allow me to calm down/sleep/whatever, then I can move on. I can sort of intellectually see how shocking that thought process is, but it's still relatively normalised to me. I went through a well over 2 year period where I didn't and I sort of started to get that it was quite shocking to think about, but when things got tricky a little while ago I sort of went backwards a bit. But yeh, turns out, not a thing in everyone's coping arsenal. Does give me hope, I guess, that one day it won't be in mine any more either. (I should stop talking about this, because I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that he is as mad as I am for wanting to marry me and I really don't want to start feeling that I might try and talk him out of it!)

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I’ve been reading the Insta comments today on the back of her show and the behaviour shown by her ‘fans’ is bordering on hateful.

Apparently if you don’t like something you can just turn it off, the passive aggressive retort of any Jackolite. What they can’t comprehend is why people slate a show that in their eyes is brilliant and amazing and Jack is the best presenter ever and how dare someone say they’d like some recipe inspiration rather than a meal a seven year old can make.

Sorry guys, I’m off to whack my head off a wall in pure frustration at these morons.

Reactions: 19
I’ve been reading the Insta comments today on the back of her show and the behaviour shown by her ‘fans’ is bordering on hateful.

Apparently if you don’t like something you can just turn it off, the passive aggressive retort of any Jackolite. What they can’t comprehend is why people slate a show that in their eyes is brilliant and amazing and Jack is the best presenter ever and how dare someone say they’d like some recipe inspiration rather than a meal a seven year old can make.

Sorry guys, I’m off to whack my head off a wall in pure frustration at these morons.
It is utterly baffling, there was one recipe. One recipe and she didn’t even give the ingredients and measurements for that, even the superfan had to go and ask her on twitter!

You have to be really blind to go and give a ‘celeb’ praise for that. In a whole hour she cooked one thing. If I was a fan and watched it, I might think ok that was pleasant she seemed jolly but they act like she has just delivered an award winning documentary.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I wish I could quote across threads, but I can't. Thank you, @Instabums and @Flumps for raising this. Lawd, I always derail these threads with my mental health revelations, sorry lads. But you lot are actually very good for my mental health! There's a headline, eh - Tattle helps someone's well-being. Whodathunkit...

My Dad took his own life when I was 14, and I resolutely told myself time and time again that, as someone who had been on the receiving end, I would never do it. Having known the jagged tear it leaves in people's lives, and the trauma, and the questions, and the uncertainty, and the doubt that you were ever worthy of love...well. I couldn't in all good conscience consider it.

I had a bit of a revelation a year or so ago when a friend of mine, who has Borderline Personality Disorder, talked in very matter-of-fact terms about how suicide is an option to her in the same way that phoning the Samaritans, or taking antidepressants, or going for a walk may be. Literally, all on the same level. What interested me was how unalarmed and calm she was about it. Not playing it down, but acknowledging how it's part of her regular thought process and something that her husband regularly and calmly helps her down from. Every time.

To Moglits of Old, suicide was the absolute last resort and you gotta slam the big red alarm button whenever anyone even flirts with it. But learning through my friend helped me see that not everyone sees it that way.

Last week, I Googled how to hang myself. I didn't have much of an intention of doing it - too much of a horrible legacy there, method and all - but I watched my thumbs tap it into my phone and thought "huh." For the first time, it felt like a slightly viable option even though in the pit of my belly I knew I wouldn't do it. But I was arming myself, somehow, and I felt a shift in how I considered things.

I don't quite know what the point of this post is, other than these threads have opened my eyes, heart, and mind to so much, and I'm very grateful for it.
My love, that sounds so hard. A relative of mine took his own life several years ago. It was devastating, much love to you. I don't have answers to the whole 'seeing it as a viable option' thing, given that I do it myself, but I would say that if you can finding someone to talk to, even dreaded Tattlers is a good thing, and that IME there's a huge difference between getting to a serious point and having general suicide ideation thoughts. I can't remember what it felt like the first time it occurred to me that I was thinking that way, but I imagine it must have been a huge jolt, and I really hope I haven't prodded at something really painful for you in a bad way. xxxx

I saw this video on Twitter a little while ago, and I think for me it's not quite the same, not as intense as it sounds for this guy, but I thought his 3rd point was a very good one. He doesn't fight it, he just waits, and it passes. I mean, all his points were good ones, but that was the one that resonated the most with me.

Including it in case it helps you/anyone here.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I disagree but that might be because she makes my skin crawl. *shudders*
I have to agree, there is something about her that makes all my senses on edge. You can just tell it’s all an act and she isn’t real - and the 50’s headscarf with the plaid shirt is yuk yuk yuk. She’s fake, she’s a liar and she plays every disability card she can while jumping about. If she’s claiming any sort of disability related benefit, I hope the fraud squad are out on her quicker than you can say Hellman’s.

And the fact she won’t even just admit she uses filters....astounding. What’s even more astounding is her twats lap it up and believe it.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 33
I have to agree, there is something about her that makes all my senses on edge. You can just tell it’s all an act and she isn’t real - and the 50’s headscarf with the plaid shirt is yuk yuk yuk. She’s fake, she’s a liar and she plays every disability card she can while jumping about. If she’s claiming any sort of disability related benefit, I hope the fraud squad are out on her quicker than you can say Hellman’s.

And the fact she won’t even just admit she uses filters....astounding. What’s even more astounding is her twats lap it up and believe it.
She’s just an awful person, so bleeping blinded by her own ego.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Also, I can’t help but think SuperFan must be a bit slow or something along those lines.

I’d love to message her and try to understand her psyche as to why she looks up to Jack and holds her in such high regard? I’ve got my own theory that she’s a born again Christian who can’t admit she’s gay, and Jack in her warped eyes is living some sort of gay crusade lifestyle that she wants for herself.

I just find the obsession.......odd.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.