Jack Monroe #189 Food Crime Pie

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It really is ED behaviour.
For many years I had a pretty disordered relationships with food and I've only sorted it out in recent years. One main aha moment (thankyou Oprah) was when I realised that I am not a bin. I don't need to finish everything or eat something because it's about to go off. I hate food waste, but I also try to love my body.
SAME. Had that aha moment and do have to remind myself of it regularly. Really interesting to watch my mum and grandma eat and have that mentality still now.
Also @maytoseptember that clip is hilarious. My husband and I can’t say the words ‘black’ or ‘pins’ to each other without doing it in a high pitched louder voice

• Haha
Reactions: 29
This thread has been a right laugh the last few days. Jack who?

Hope you all have lovely Wednesdays with edible muffins and tasty breads 😁

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 44
Right lads, I'm going to take one for the team with a go at white bean, spinach and garlic soup from Tin Can Cook. Jack describes it as 'marshy green slop' but, as ever, we'll be the judge of that.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 78
I know this won't bother some people, but now that I've seen it I can't unsee it and it grates my mushrooms. The middle set of shelves, just behind her head, is higher than the rest. If you have one shelving unit higher than the others, put it somewhere else, do not break up the symmetry.

Put it on the end of the run, put it on another wall, put it in another room, but DO NOT PUT IT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RUN OF SHELVES.

I feel better now.

ETA, for those that don't know, I like things orderly.
Your profile pic made me titter. I always read your username as ‘MarcBee’ now 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 37
There is nothing wrong with throwing some of your food away. It's important to not needlessly waste it but sometimes it is necessary. I would count revolting bin juice smoothies in the latter category.

Reactions: 37
I thankfully had no adverse effects from my mouthful of slimy slow cooker bread last night. Left it out over night and it was still as slimy and spongey this morning, as well not wanting to cut nicely at all. Threw it out for the birds on our morning dog walk, the fat pigeons were having none of it.

Dear Jack, where did I go wrong? Were my hands too clean?

• Haha
Reactions: 57
Right lads, I'm going to take one for the team with a go at white bean, spinach and garlic soup from Tin Can Cook. Jack describes it as 'marshy green slop' but, as ever, we'll be the judge of that.
I salute you, brave Frau! The peach and chickpea Curry was enough for me (coming from a culture that regularly uses fruit in savoury dishes, I thought I’d give it a go, but it was flavourless, slimy and rank). Also attempted some kind of vegan burger, which was drier than the Sahara, and made Mrs. B choke (I had to give her a flagon of wine to wash it down). I’d try the lasagne, but, sadly, don’t own a horse 😕

• Haha
Reactions: 48
I had a look to see if this recipe is online, and I stumbled upon another of Jack's soups. The intro is standard self-pitying nonsense:

Screenshot_20210512-111031_Chrome.jpg

So far, so Jack, right? BUT WAIT. This recipe, posted in 2018, is tagged Cook For Syria. She has managed to turn a campaign about refugees fleeing a devastating war into "when I was a single mum on benefits".

duck off, Jack. Just duck off.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 85
I salute you, brave Frau! The peach and chickpea Curry was enough for me (coming from a culture that regularly uses fruit in savoury dishes, I thought I’d give it a go, but it was flavourless, slimy and rank). Also attempted some kind of vegan burger, which was drier than the Sahara, and made Mrs. B choke (I had to give her a flagon of wine to wash it down). I’d try the lasagne, but, sadly, don’t own a horse 😕
I do but he’s not ahem fully equipped

• Haha
Reactions: 40
How is soup from scratch a ‘quick, late-night supper’

• Haha
Reactions: 39
she doesn't even blink until she nearly pukes.

just staring and gulping... it's unnerving
I could barely watch (I have emetophobia) but why, just WHY would she do that? Was it some sort of fucked up purging behaviour that she wanted to record for posterity?

• Heart
Reactions: 35
How is soup from scratch a ‘quick, late-night supper’
Out of a tin. I sometimes have a tin of tomato or chicken soup if I'm hungry and can't be bothered to make anything.

But she can't even do that without messing it about. There is nothing wrong with just opening a tin of soup, heating it up and eating it with a slice of bread. Why does she have to use the soup as a base (🤢) for a recipe?

Reactions: 35
That might be the first time I've seen her consume "food" that's she has put together.

Also, if you throw it up, surely it's food waste as your system hasn't absorbed the nutrients?

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
I had a look to see if this recipe is online, and I stumbled upon another of Jack's soups. The intro is standard self-pitying nonsense:

View attachment 570655

So far, so Jack, right? BUT WAIT. This recipe, posted in 2018, is tagged Cook For Syria. She has managed to turn a campaign about refugees fleeing a devastating war into "when I was a single mum on benefits".

duck off, Jack. Just duck off.

Omg 😱

I mean, we know she thinks and writes like this - “me me me me”! Still, every time I see it in black and white, I am absolutely aghast at her self-obsession. I slept on a mattress for a year in the house I live in now. It doesn’t mean anything, it was just there was a lot of work to do etc etc. I’ve got a bed now, so have all but forgotten about it. When I was a child, my mum ordered me a bed and a mattress, the mattress came but there was an issue with the bed and the whole thing went on for months, my old bed had been sold to make way for the new one that didn’t come. I slept on the floor for months until the new one came, it’s not part of my identity!

Jack has shown us the bed from that time, sometimes referred to tearfully as a sofa. It’s a Hemnes daybed from IKEA that pulls out into a double bed. I used to have one! Hardly a blanket on a stone floor is it? She has no concept of the reality of life for Syrian refugees, and can’t have looked into it at all or she surely wouldn’t have the audacity to make such offensive comparisons. They’ve lost everything, whereas if Jack had called her dad he could stop it all (yeah!).

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 66
For once in her life she’s hit the nail in the head with her food description here.

Work is very quiet and I did consider making something of hers for lunch but I couldn’t face the embarrassment of having to explain to Mr PS what I was doing.

Can someone with the know how add all the recipes that don’t work into the wiki for the next time a rigger turns up and says “they look like they should work”

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.