Jack Monroe #189 Food Crime Pie

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe Jack uses crude oil in their ‘cooking’ and that’s why their fingernails are perpetually black....... BLACK! Black. THE DARKNESS. What’s for tea mother, ink stew!? (Fast Show reference added in there..)
That’s the second time this week I’ve seen a reference to those Johnny the Painter sketches (the other one was via Twitter). Cracks me up every time.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
I won’t be watching that video (after reading others opinions). I hate waste but I am not going to eat something that makes you immediately vomit it back up. Insanity. Attention seeking madness.

Again (gosh, I say it a lot, and always think of the obvious Simpsons meme) I hope her kid is excluded from her antics. Poor sod, it’s hard enough, the leap to secondary school to begin with - to do it with this performative nonsense freely available to all and sundry, is just awful. I hope he has his dads second name and she gives the school gates a wide berth (although parents evenings are a giveaway - she will turn up with her sleeves rolled up and her massive BOY cap on, just to grab the looks. 😒)

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 45
That video 🤢.
That is truly someone who hates food. Someone who would rather gag and retch on food, than throw something revolting away.
It's so weird. Obviously, I try not to waste stuff, but sometimes you just have to accept that something (for whatever reason) needs to get thrown out. Making yourself puke in the name of 'stopping waste' is just stupid.

This has reminded me of my Dad, who would do random clear out meals and call them 'mucky stew' (and yes, it was generally awful) His most infamous was a calamari and lettuce creation that only he valiantly plowed through, only to confess a week later it was the worst thing he'd ever eaten 😂

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 55
Ninnies this has been comedy gold. The archives of slop are so extensive that Jack’s presence is no longer needed.

To paraphrase Shaznay’s tearful acceptance speech from a 90s Brit awards (niche?) - It’s amazing how something so good can come from something so so so bad.

• Haha
Reactions: 45
It's so weird. Obviously, I try not to waste stuff, but sometimes you just have to accept that something (for whatever reason) needs to get thrown out. Making yourself puke in the name of 'stopping waste' is just stupid.

This has reminded me of my Dad, who would do random clear out meals and call them 'mucky stew' (and yes, it was generally awful) His most infamous was a calamari and lettuce creation that only he valiantly plowed through, only to confess a week later it was the worst thing he'd ever eaten 😂
It really is ED behaviour.
For many years I had a pretty disordered relationships with food and I've only sorted it out in recent years. One main aha moment (thankyou Oprah) was when I realised that I am not a bin. I don't need to finish everything or eat something because it's about to go off. I hate food waste, but I also try to love my body.

• Heart
Reactions: 73
why is she drinking the fat from Monica’s fridge?!
I know this won't bother some people, but now that I've seen it I can't unsee it and it grates my mushrooms. The middle set of shelves, just behind her head, is higher than the rest. If you have one shelving unit higher than the others, put it somewhere else, do not break up the symmetry.

Put it on the end of the run, put it on another wall, put it in another room, but DO NOT PUT IT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RUN OF SHELVES.

I feel better now.

ETA, for those that don't know, I like things orderly.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 63
Why did she have so much green tea powder? Was she selling Juice Plus or something?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
I do remember a tarka dal recipe from her that I came to through the vegan society's website when I did a vegan challenge.

I liked it, but when I looked for other recipes I found some that we much nicer (the Jack one has a lot of tomatoe. She really is
obsessed with tinned tomatoes)

• Haha
Reactions: 24
The masochist in me kind of wants to make a Jack recipe too. I do have a lot of weird tins in my cupboard.

I went to look at her recipe page and she actually did the vegan chicken thing! I must have missed it when I was grunkaing. It’s the wordiest recipe I’ve ever seen in my life.

That pineapple ring reminds me of some of the darker corners of the internet.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
I have had some connectivity issues and could only read the last few days on my phone (which I purposely have not logged in with, as I would never get off this site if I did) and I can’t go back and like everything but I want to thank you all for my chuckles! It’s a challenging time at the moment and the laughs I have had have been such a tonic. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Back to Jack - I once tried the vegan crumpet and (sadly no pics) was disappointed. Here, you cannot buy crumpets for love nor money, so I have made some this week. Not Jacks recipe, mind you...Did take two tries to get them right (too much batter in the rings, the first time) but the Warburton recipe is the bollocks. The big reveal? They are naturally vegan if you grease the rings with non dairy fat. I am embarrassed that I did not know that already!

PS - not 100% vegan but moving in that direction! Still have eggs (from a farm down the road where I can see the chickens every day, pecking and mooching around!) and some occasional cheese.
Thank you! I have tried making crumpets before with all kinds of lemon juice faffing around and never had a great result. I didn't know Warburtons had shared their recipe.

Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.