Jack Monroe #183 Someone's fewmmin'

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
it's just so weird that the book's being promoted as part of world book night. are people really going to be getting themselves all settled and cosy to curl up with the big book of boak recipes?
I mean, for World Book Night they seem to have contacted publishers to ask them if they had any backlog of books which were due to be pulped. And Jack's publishers were like "oh, we have just the thing! You're welcome 🥰 🥰 "

• Haha
Reactions: 52
If I want some good food on a bad day, I’d just eat the bloody ice cream straight from the tub. Nothing would convince me to turn it into a cake!
Same. Something from the freezer - doesn't need to be batch cooked it could literally be a cheap ready meal from Asda or frozen fish and frozen peas. Or tortellinis that u can boil and then add some cheese to.

Basically something that doesnt create too much washing up or requires fannying about with - unique all her slop creations.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I mean, for World Book Night they seem to have contacted publishers to ask them if they had any backlog of books which were due to be pulped. And Jack's publishers were like "oh, we have just the thing! You're welcome 🥰 🥰 "
Not wanting to make a dick move here & quote myself but I've edited my post (#294) as I noticed something 'interesting' about the other titles on the promo picture.

Are they taking the piss?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
Same. Something from the freezer - doesn't need to be batch cooked it could literally be a cheap ready meal from Asda or frozen fish and frozen peas. Or tortellinis that u can boil and then add some cheese to.

Basically something that doesnt create too much washing up or requires fannying about with - unique all her slop creations.
Me too, I normally cook meals from scratch but if I feel rubbish then I’ll grab a microwave meal, freezer food or those packets of pasta ....all are quick and easy and generally tasty enough to makeup for lack of effort!

I can’t understand the concept of any of her cooking. It all feels very experimental for people who are feeling low or are financially challlenged. As a fairly confident cook it feels rubbish when you cook something and it goes wrong. Imagine a whole book of disasters; I’d rather eat turkey twizzlers!

• Heart
Reactions: 43
A north of Southend friend of Bill here 🔺

If it's AA, she'll be no stranger to The Serenity Prayer, you say it after each meeting and (depending on the individual), you carry it about on a special coin you are given.

A cornerstone of the prayer is "to accept the things I cannot change" - criticism/constructive feedback from strangers on the internet would fall comfortably into that category. M'lud.
Thank you @Kittypops, for someone who bangs on about AA a fair bit, I’m very quick to forget this. I really needed to see it today ♥

• Heart
Reactions: 51
When would she find time to do these daily lives on Instagram or Facebook? She works 100 hours a week already, don't you know 🙃
True dis. Sorry Jack mate, no disrespect meant. We're all fighting for the same cause 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 23
If I was Marcus Rashford I would have muted her after this old tweet from the FSM thing (I’m amazed it’s still there!). He probably doesn’t even know she is harping on.

View attachment 542643
I have seen this before and I understand it even less now than I did then. What does she mean???

I'm not the errant tattler turned twatter truther. I don't have twatter anymore as no longer relevant to what I do and I needed a social media detox but I can still read most things on there unless the account has higher security. Many a time I've been tempted to create an account just to challenge her bullshit bravado and despite the rules of the cabal I'm pleased to see her being challenged publicly.
Wonder if smolbots guy is doing a double bluff on all concerned parties?

• Haha
Reactions: 36
.... which takes you to a facebook video of a lady doing two of the recipes from it. The first one is a tomato soup one, and the ingredients are tinned tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, and .... a tin of tomato soup. So she's written a recipe for tomato soup whose main ingredient is tinned tomato soup. The second recipe is for ice cream cake. You mix melted ice cream with flour and baking power and then stick it in the oven. I'd be almost tempted to try this (just to see how bad it is) except for the fact that it seems like a huge waste of a tub of ice cream.
A while ago, there was a viral video going round claiming you could make frosting using melted ice cream and icing sugar. The method was debunked because there's not a high enough fat content in ice cream to whip it up. I mean, it'd probably work in a cake, but why would you do that when you could just use cheaper butter and a bit of cocoa powder or other flavouring?

(The debunking video was on Ann Reardon's YouTube channel -- she's an awesome food scientist who does videos where she tries those stupid food/life hacks and I've learned a lot of weird random facts from her vids!)

I looked up the recipe: https://app.ckbk.com/recipe/good28188c09s001r003/ice-cream-cake It makes me laugh that she was inspired to make it while halfway through a pint of Ben & Jerry's. Once more for the cheap seats: I CAN'T AFFORD BUTTER!!!!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
When we were students we used to make a cake with yogurt and you used the yogurt pot to measure everything out. That seems more like the thing that should have been included.

Reactions: 43
A while ago, there was a viral video going round claiming you could make frosting using melted ice cream and icing sugar. The method was debunked because there's not a high enough fat content in ice cream to whip it up. I mean, it'd probably work in a cake, but why would you do that when you could just use cheaper butter and a bit of cocoa powder or other flavouring?

(The debunking video was on Ann Reardon's YouTube channel -- she's an awesome food scientist who does videos where she tries those stupid food/life hacks and I've learned a lot of weird random facts from her vids!)

I looked up the recipe: https://app.ckbk.com/recipe/good28188c09s001r003/ice-cream-cake It makes me laugh that she was inspired to make it while halfway through a pint of Ben & Jerry's. Once more for the cheap seats: I CAN'T AFFORD BUTTER!!!!!
This is the pic of it on her site, and I think we can all agree that her talent for food photography is unsurpassed #nomnom #appetising

IMG_20190914_212221_249-1080x1350.jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 59
If I had a can of tomato soup I'd have it with a really nice cheese toastie. It's comfort food.
I would not spoil the tomato soup with a load of unnecessary ingredients and make myself feel sad.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 74
TBH I feel like that book should have been a mix of:

* recipes that involve very little effort but are more nutritious than, say, cheese on toast

* batch cooking freezer ideas with a blurb about how you can make on your good days and keep them for when things go south

* very simple desserts that will hit the spot when you need comfort food (microwave puddings and the like)

I can probably think of a dozen recipes for each category off the top of my head. None involve making soup from soup, or turning perfectly good ice cream into a manky attempt at cake.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
The FullTime Meals initiative has the potential to become the 'Captain Tom' of 2021 as unless you really are a massive bastard surely everyone is anti-child poverty? Last year supporting an old man doing his bit to help an underfunded NHS in a global pandemic brought the country together and it had a knock-on effect that inspired others to do similar.
surely an early contender for next thread title 👏

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37

A tub of Ben and Jerry's is $13.00 here. I can make a lot of normal cake (probably a few kinds too) for that price and know they'll taste good.

• Wow
Reactions: 42
Sorry @MancBee and the rest of the Manchester community, I didn't mean to give you nightmares. 😢 Xx
I'm just picturing our mancbee on a relaxing stroll when he spots a moving van turn up on his street.

Upon the driver opening the back of the van a heap of cutlery spills out, and the unmistakable silhouette of 13 Cotswolds sideboards is visible at the back behind the piles of hoarded A4 binders.

"Hello!" says a nasally voice behind him
"I'm Jack Monroe! Activist, cook, and your new neighbour! You have got room out front for the communal skip, yeah?"

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 65
When we were students we used to make a cake with yogurt and you used the yogurt pot to measure everything out. That seems more like the thing that should have been included.
I think Mom has one like that. A nice, simple, cheap idea that would taste good too

Reactions: 23
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.