Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Episode 1: Jack is shocked to discover that the Italians do not eat spaghetti hoops, and starts a change.org petition to introduce this staple to the country.

Episode 2: Jack travels to Romania, where she learns that living under the Ceaușescu regime was just like the time she couldn't have a Weetabix.
Episode 3: Jack misses her flight to Stockholm after staff at Heathrow decline to accept tattoos as ID. She instead travels to Ikea, learning that working class people can enjoy Swedish food, too.

• Haha
Reactions: 75

Yel

Chatty Member
Thread 1 is life, and if only I had read it before I registered you would all be addressing me as "sadwhaling".
I remember it like it was yesterday when thread 1 took off. It felt like tattle had actually achieved it's purpose and little did I know how amazing all the watch parties would be.

If only her pasta had of been cooked past the point where it no longer snapped and maybe she'd still be invited on this morning 😭😆

• Haha
  • Heart

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
There is a freedom waiting for you. On the breezes of the sky. And you ask, ‘What if I fall?’
‘Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?’
It didn’t. Shoe shot for the fetishisers.View attachment 508914
I walk past this fella every day but today I broke resistance in honour of the Emin: ‘You inspire me with your determination and I love you.’
Poca, I think you should get a pair of these bad boys...
58F26CC1-B4B3-402D-B89D-0BFFCC7C5D56.jpeg

• Haha
  • Wow

Pocahontas

VIP Member
Aw, speaking of cab drivers, I am crushed my favourite Southend cab driver hasn’t ever graced us with their presence again. Was eagerly awaiting tales of Easter Bunny Jack, leaving baskets of devilled eggs and chocolate covered prunes on people’s doorsteps in the dead of night.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 74

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Episode 9: Jack travels to Portugal. This episode was never actually released. There was a mild international 'storm' as The Daily Express later called it. Apparently Jack kept saying she was in Spain, when pointed out her mistake she shrugged and said 'well all Iberian countries are interchangeable aren't they? '

• Haha
Reactions: 74

Joan of Narc

Can you imagine for a second that That Man or Mom were as basic as Jack and had only just discovered Polish shops, despite them being widespread in the UK for at least 20 years? I imagine they would buy a few ingredients, make some meals, test them, refine them and then do a post of whatever it was they made with helpful ingredients lists, measurements etc. Jack posting a load of unrelated Polish ingredients that she has spunked a load of cash on because she is a compulsive consumer and shit with money is of no use to anyone, particularly her low-income followers who I doubt have the luxury of buying a whole shelf of food on a whim. Also why does she have to be so ED triggery? She can post that she enjoyed the different flavour Jaffa cakes without pretending that she snaffled the whole lot like a greedy goblin. Polski Sklep Jack has really pissed me off!

• Heart
Reactions: 73

Harrybosch

VIP Member
The thing with her tweeting about the Polish purchases that it's still not about celebrating diversity in food, it's all about her "discovering" it and her being a maverick smol pixie for eating it out of the jar. It'a about her consuming somathing, not that what is consumed.
This is exactly it! Also, why not tag some Polish foodie accounts and say 'Hey, I got this apple horeradish and had it in the crevice of my pork pie. What would you eat it with traditionally?'

Her lens is this very imperialistic view of of food. 'Look at these weird and funny things. Now let's make them palatable to my more refined tastes.'

It's all about tone and nuance when it comes to food. I'm not a purist (fgs I'm vegan, so I can't be purist about many traditional dishes, I have to adapt them) and I don't really buy into the whole cultural appropriation thing when it comes to food, but there is a way in which you can be inspired by a cuisine and adapt it that is respectful and even innovative or fun, and there is a way that is patronising and othering.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 73

Pocahontas

VIP Member
There is a freedom waiting for you. On the breezes of the sky. And you ask, ‘What if I fall?’
‘Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?’
It didn’t. Shoe shot for the fetishisers.
B52ADD25-4C28-40D0-B0CF-D3ED23AE64B6.jpeg
I walk past this fella every day but today I broke resistance in honour of the Emin: ‘You inspire me with your determination and I love you.’

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 72