Jack Monroe #170 Outrageous grifting dirtbag

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Weren't all her books incest related? 😱
We devoured them as kids. When she died someone else carried on writing them in her name. Wtf?
I hope when Jack is dusty (in restaurant parlance) no one carries on her body of work.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
I hope when Jack is dusty (in restaurant parlance) no one carries on her body of work.
Can you imagine in 20/30yrs time when kids are learning about the pandemic in school, and they try to recreate the food of these times and stumble upon Jack's instead of someone else?

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 35
Currently reading a Virginia Andrews right now. My mum sent it over with alot of other books and I hadnt read it yet. I think this may be a ghost writer one.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Was it one of her early books that she claimed the agent/publisher had 'stolen' all the money from? That was one of the early red flags for me but I can remember the details...does anyone have the receipts?
Her first agent allegedly stole several years of royalties from her first two books. She talks about it here but I strongly recommend Ctrl+F for "agent" because this is, even by Jack standards, unreadably self-pitying:

ETA: I don't like to go into conspiracy theories but it's worth noting that she had already left her first agent (the alleged thief) by the time her second book came out. Could be a contractual thing but always struck me as odd that this person stole her royalties from a book she had published while represented by someone else.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 40
I follow a food writer called Becky Excell. She writes gluten free recipes and there’s loads on her website and they are really good and well tested. She finally got a book deal and her first book came out a few weeks ago is already a best seller and sold out everywhere.
she’s not been on TV as far as I am aware. An online following is enough to get you good sales.

Her first agent allegedly stole several years of royalties from her first two books. She talks about it here but I strongly recommend Ctrl+F for "agent" because this is, even by Jack standards, unreadably self-pitying:

the tomatoes I am growing for my lover....
My eyes rolled so far back they did a 360.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 40
I also loved the Flowers In the Attic series when I was around 11. I can’t imagine an 11 year-old reading a book with that type of content nowadays; although I guess kids these days are probably a lot more aware of the grim realities of life than I was as a young girl in the early 1980s.
I also used to pilfer my mum’s dirty books like Lace and Princess Daisy (Judith Krantz) to read. And how many of us older frauen can remember first reading Forever by Jude Blume and learning about ‘Ralph.’ I definitely remember it being passed round the girls in my class.
I’m echoing the frau who mentioned Paula Danziger’s books. I loved them and although they weren’t smutty, they definitely dealt with themes that most books at that time didn’t.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I also loved the Flowers In the Attic series when I was around 11. I can’t imagine an 11 year-old reading a book with that type of content nowadays; although I guess kids these days are probably a lot more aware of the grim realities of life than I was as a young girl in the early 1980s.
I also used to pilfer my mum’s dirty books like Lace and Princess Daisy (Judith Krantz) to read. And how many of us older frauen can remember first reading Forever by Jude Blume and learning about ‘Ralph.’ I definitely remember it being passed round the girls in my class.
I’m echoing the frau who mentioned Paula Danziger’s books. I loved them and although they weren’t smutty, they definitely dealt with themes that most books at that time didn’t.
I read Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret before I knew what a period was, and it confused the duck out of me.

I remember another Judy Blume where the main character mentioned sweat trickling into her bra, which seemed so scandalous to my 10-year-old self.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22

ETA: I don't like to go into conspiracy theories but it's worth noting that she had already left her first agent (the alleged thief) by the time her second book came out. Could be a contractual thing but always struck me as odd that this person stole her royalties from a book she had published while represented by someone else.
Thanks @colouredlines knew you'd come up trumps with a link! Yeah I call BS. Could it be that the book didn't sell as well as forecast and she had to return some of the advance, so in Jackie's mind this = nasty tealeaf took advantage of this poor smol pixie who can bench press the Queen but falls over in the sghetti hoops aisle?

Reactions: 28

She had a cheap weekend in Paris with her girlfriend. Would this be one of the holidays that she has never been on for 10 years?

• Haha
Reactions: 46

‘Ad free website’ lol

• Haha
Reactions: 26
And she says she left behind the chard when she moved from her seafront flat. Didn't she recently say that the chard had moved with her and she has had it for over 10 years?

Who can afford a seafront flat when they are in their 20's? (unless it is somewhere like Rhyl, where they would pay you to live there)

• Haha
Reactions: 56
I was a very bookish child and I read the Flowers in the Attic series (and Shirley Conran/Jackie Collins) around age 11 too. I read all my parents books, all Mum's Harold Robbins and Simon Raven novels and even The Happy Hooker and Fear of Flying (because she specifically told me not to!) Are books much less smutty these days, or is it just my imagination?

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I was a very bookish child and I read the Flowers in the Attic series (and Shirley Conran/Jackie Collins) around age 11 too. I read all my parents books, all Mum's Harold Robbins and Simon Raven novels and even The Happy Hooker and Fear of Flying (because she specifically told me not to!) Are books much less smutty these days, or is it just my imagination?
Pretension kills smut faster than a flying squad of nuns. Proof: The Bad Sex Awards, any year.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
when I was about 12 I read a book called Christiana F and it was a true story about a girl living in Germany, she got on to heroin along with her boyfriend as a young teen and one day she came home got caught him selling himself to an old man to fund his habit when this spured her on to becoming clean. The harrowing life they had on drugs and the in depth experience she wrote about going cold turkey really made an impression in me as a young teen.

• Wow
Reactions: 24
She had a cheap weekend in Paris with her girlfriend. Would this be one of the holidays that she has never been on for 10 years?
There's another receipt somewhere where she claims the Katie Hopkins case paid for 4 or 5 holidays... 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: 25
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.