Jack Monroe #169 Please don’t argue about turnips

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s mad how nailed this recipe writer (I think?) has it, surely this is because people in that world talk? SURELY?!

And thankfully she didn’t gain any Patreons in the days after that horribly triggering thread, although she has gained one within the past week (can check when that is later). If she had gained a decent chunk that would have been my final straw and I’d have emailed one of the savvy ones at the Scotsman under my real name offering up that dataset. Don’t think anyone would want it though she’s barely ever gaining any which suggests she’s had a long term group of 300 odd funding her lifestyle, no wonder she’s such a greedy goblin.
Asking here when I could probably search the answer for myself...
How much is the patron? Is it a cost per month?

Reactions: 13
are there no asian supermarkets in southend? there are so many delicious brands of packet ramen out there! I suppose i shouldn't be surprised that Jack favours a pot noodle. Basically jack in a nutshell.
There are great Asian supermarkets here. But don’t forget Jack can’t (shan’t) drive or do the 5 minute train journey from Thorpe Bay to Southend as it is a TREK.
Mama pad Thai noodles are my current favourite!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
All this talk has made me crave a pot noodle intensely. Yes, to real noodles, fraus, but they go in a different drawer. A chicken and mushroom pot noodle is a thing of great beauty (and shame). Ignoring plant Jack as she can get to duck out of several of our niches

• Heart
  • Haha
They’re properly tit. Batchelors supernoodles are weird as well.
Not inside a sandwich they arent! They are amazing, not immense but comforting as I hark back to my student days (curry flavour super noodles, white bread). Lovely. Off to write a cookbook now. 😉

• Haha
  • Heart
Demae Ramen are the best instant noodles, imo - chicken, sesame or tonkotsu.

Is Jack trying to be Molesworth with her “hello tweees, helo flowers” content?

@traumatised sideboard Thankspaceyou for refreshing my memory re the disastersausage.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
I am lolling about her gardening Twitter follows...if she thinks she'll be able to come over all billy big bollocks with Monty Don, she's got another think coming 😁
...and I'm here for it. Perhaps she'll be angling for a spot on Gardeners Question time. They'd bury her!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Noodles are fantastic, never had them in a sandwich though My SiL bought brother a subscription box, so he gets new ones every month. He gave me some Korean ones to try, they were so hot! With hindsight, the angry looking, fire breathing chicken should've been a big clue 🐔🔥

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Jacks garden. How much more bleeping boring can it possibly get.
I recommend Joe Lycett on Instagram for his garden update where he calls all the flowers slags and sluts.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
We get it, you have tattoos 🤦‍♀️ What a weird comment to shoe-horn in. If I signed up for ballet lessons, they're not going to look at me and say "no, sorry, you have tattoos so we can't teach you". She constantly wants to be the underdog, disadvantaged because of her tattoos, single motherhood, politics, etc
Get tatts because you love them, they have meaning etc, but she reallly does still think they are rebellious and edgy.
The bleeping advert for Ariel features a woman with a tattoo for goodness sake.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
There’s something I don’t trust about green fingers Jack. Spent the last year being all ‘woe is me’ about renting the shittty bungalow and now she is saying it is paradise. Something not right. I can’t believe she has suddenly started to count her blessings.

• Haha
Reactions: 43
Noodles are fantastic, never had them in a sandwich though My SiL bought brother a subscription box, so he gets new ones every month. He gave me some Korean ones to try, they were so hot! With hindsight, the angry looking, fire breathing chicken should've been a big clue 🐔🔥
OT but can you share? This will go down v well in some of my circles 😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Not sure if this was posted today but I love this from a frau-favourite trifle defender View attachment 495113
I have also learned a lot of helpful and interesting non-Jack things while lurking, but being introduced to the trifle defender was definitely a high spot. It's an exemplary account that showcases the way that SM can be used constructively - lifting up other cooks, spotlighting issues without grandstanding. It feels like Jack has benefitted from this online cooking community but learned nothing from it and given nothing back, which can be quite depressing, so it's good to have a reminder that there is a whole world of food-related activism, curiosity and enthusiasm.

• Heart
Who was it yesterday who was asking about her book sales? I have a very trustworthy source in the publishing world who sent me this overnight:

HRaS9GH-.jpg

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 98
The annoying thing about Jack's gardening is not that, lke with the knitting and crafting, her skills and knowldg are beginner's level at best. Trying new things, or just your hobbies without worrying if you are good at them is fun! (there is a nice Kurt Vonnegot anecdote about that somewher, but I can't be arsed looking it up...first thing on the to google list is that noodle subscription thing).

The annoying thing is that she wants applause for it all the bloody time. For anythings she does. For slapping some paint on a poorly rinsed bean tin and call it a crafting project. For taking an interest in the plants that grow in her (rented!) garden and having an attitude about it as if she founded a new horticultural movement. For infantilising 'adulting'-style takes ( btw, can that trend stop please? It's not that strange you managed to do a boring but responsible chore when you're 33. Thanks. I don't want to be insensitive, but millenials cooing on SM how they're 'crushing it' because they managed to get the recyling bins out on time is not a thing 2021 needs).

Sure, there are plenty of writers, sports personalities, and whatever blue tick category you can think of that at times share something personal that happened to them. But if Ian Rankin would tweet about a chocolate cake he made that turned out better than he thought, it's not that cringeworthy, because his timeline is a stream of brainfarts entering (or exiting?) his mind.

She really does not know how to profesionally manage her SM.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
The annoying thing about Jack's gardening is not that, lke with the knitting and crafting, her skills and knowldg are beginner's level at best. Trying new things, or just your hobbies without worrying if you are good at them is fun! (there is a nice Kurt Vonnegot anecdote about that somewher, but I can't be arsed looking it up).

The annoying thing is that she wants applause for it all the bloody time. For anythings she does. For slapping some paint on a poorly rinsed ban tin and call it a crafting project. For taking an interest in the plants that grow in her (rented!) garden and having an attitude about it as if she founded a new horticultural movement. For infantilising 'adulting'-style takes ( btw, can that trend stop please? It's not that strange you managed to do a boring but responsible chore when you're 33. Thanks. I don't want to be insensitive, but millenials cooing on SM how they're 'crushing it' because they managed to get the recyling bins out on time is not a thing 2021 needs).

Sure, there are some writers, sports personalities, and whatever blue tick category you can think of that at times share something personal that happned to them. But if Ian Rankin would tweet about a chocolate cake he made that turned out better than he thought, it's not that cringeworthy, because his timeline is a stream of brainfarts entering (or exiting?) his mind.

She really does not know how to profesionally manage her SM.
Yes all of this! And the way she writes about these hobbies is if she's the fount of all knowledge and been doing it forever when it's painfully obvious she knows nothing (i.e. having cat-unfriendly plants, thinking that Kew gardens is the best IG page).

Nothing wrong with such hobbies like you say. I've definitely got into houseplants myself over the past year... but don't expect applause and don't act like you know everything!

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Just coming on here to say that her description of a bee as a 'fuzzybutt' makes me feel a bit sick. Now duck off.

• Haha
Reactions: 51
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.