Jack Monroe #169 Please don’t argue about turnips

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She doesn't have the first clue how to promote herself positively.

It's mind-boggling.
Her social media audience is her biggest asset. She can still pull in quite a lot of engagement on Twitter as we've seen. She could have done live cookalongs, Twitter threads that break down each recipe, written blogs to promote the launch about mental health and food, done competitions to win signed copies/ingredients sets. And if she was struggling MH wise herself then she should have handed control over the her publisher/an assistant who wasnt furloughed to run it on her behalf.

The social mediabmarketeer in me finds it infuriating! So many wasted opportunities.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Well she obviously has miraculously green special smol pixie fingers, if she is harvesting every week from one plant 🙄
she never feeds, protects from birds or insects or frost, I doubt she waters 🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥
I think the chard in a pot maybe like Trigger’s broom.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
OT but can you share? This will go down v well in some of my circles 😂😂

We're in Australia, but I'm pretty sure he gets the Japan crate. Think it ships all over, but the second one might give you more options.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Happy birthday eve to @Orphan_Black !

I'm spending the day cleaning and painting an internal door yellow. It looks terrible but I'm determined not to admit this and I don't RENT 🔺 so I can do as I jolly well like.

It amazes me that Jack has 338k followers, about 100k of those are quite new. Ruby has 118k, Grace 274k. And with this, I declare myself a literal Twitter expert.

I was thinking today's subject could be mothers' maiden names, with a round up of PINs tomorrow.
Right back at ya @ChocolateMuffin !

I want to paint my internal doors white, have the paint but not the motivation, you may have inspired me! First task today is fixing a drawer in kitchen that needs replacement sliders. Jack needs to count her blessings in her RENTED home, if something breaks, it's not her problem!!! (off topic, but why isn't there a 'standard size' for drawers, took me days to figure out what size sliders I needed?!)

I can't believe how hard Jack has gone done the botanist route in a couple of days. If she really cared she'd be showing how easy it is to grow herbs in pots and tomato plants in grow bags etc, all helping ease the food budget by growing your own, and also, yummy fresh flavours to cook with. Jack is the type of gal who gets yellow sticker salad bags to dry up into green dust for flavouring. Or how plants help mental health. But nope, it's all the Jack Show, and all I see is a blooming twit!!!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
The thing is, the timing of the book's release was really lucky in that Jack should have been able to cash in on the pandemic - which obviously she'd have no qualms about, it's literally her MO to cash in on the misfortunes of others. And it *still* did terribly.
She just never promoted it at all. And constantly tells people in interviews when she feels down, she just eats crisps, sweets, and pot noodles. Nothing inherently wrong with that, we all have our crappy mood foods, but to claim to have written *the* book on food for bad days, and then admit to never eating them is really stupid (and it's not like she can't lie about stuff either!)

• Haha
Reactions: 54
The annoying thing about Jack's gardening is not that, lke with the knitting and crafting, her skills and knowldg are beginner's level at best. Trying new things, or just your hobbies without worrying if you are good at them is fun! (there is a nice Kurt Vonnegot anecdote about that somewher, but I can't be arsed looking it up...first thing on the to google list is that noodle subscription thing).

The annoying thing is that she wants applause for it all the bloody time. For anythings she does. For slapping some paint on a poorly rinsed bean tin and call it a crafting project. For taking an interest in the plants that grow in her (rented!) garden and having an attitude about it as if she founded a new horticultural movement. For infantilising 'adulting'-style takes ( btw, can that trend stop please? It's not that strange you managed to do a boring but responsible chore when you're 33. Thanks. I don't want to be insensitive, but millenials cooing on SM how they're 'crushing it' because they managed to get the recyling bins out on time is not a thing 2021 needs).

Sure, there are plenty of writers, sports personalities, and whatever blue tick category you can think of that at times share something personal that happened to them. But if Ian Rankin would tweet about a chocolate cake he made that turned out better than he thought, it's not that cringeworthy, because his timeline is a stream of brainfarts entering (or exiting?) his mind.

She really does not know how to profesionally manage her SM.
Professional is not in her very limited vocabulary, she has no clue what it means, like many other words

• Haha
Reactions: 36
She just never promoted it at all. And constantly tells people in interviews when she feels down, she just eats crisps, sweets, and pot noodles. Nothing inherently wrong with that, we all have our crappy mood foods, but to claim to have written *the* book on food for bad days, and then admit to never eating them is really stupid (and it's not like she can't lie about stuff either!)
Is there not a risotto recipe in there? Hahahahaaha.

Admittedly, I can't watch Jack without grinding my teeth, so not watched much of her book shilling, but, you're right, all she goes on about is eating six packets of crisps and curling up in a ball. Granted, we all need days like that, but that's not an answer to the question asked. She's a grade-A idiot in everyway.

Reactions: 27
This is stuck in my head this morning. Plant Mom Jack is the wooooorrrrrrrrst.
edit: dammit tried to insert Jean-Ralphio gif but the wrong one appeared

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Not inside a sandwich they arent! They are amazing, not immense but comforting as I hark back to my student days (curry flavour super noodles, white bread). Lovely. Off to write a cookbook now. 😉
Add a dairylea triangle on the days you're feeling fancy and that right there is an absolute SNACK!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 24
Her social media audience is her biggest asset. She can still pull in quite a lot of engagement on Twitter as we've seen. She could have done live cookalongs, Twitter threads that break down each recipe, written blogs to promote the launch about mental health and food, done competitions to win signed copies/ingredients sets. And if she was struggling MH wise herself then she should have handed control over the her publisher/an assistant who wasnt furloughed to run it on her behalf.

The social mediabmarketeer in me finds it infuriating! So many wasted opportunities.
Exactly this.

If I was in charge of her career, I’d have maxed her out on Twitter over lockdown. Rather than replying to every query she received on the #LockdownLarder, I’d have maybe collated five and uploaded a quick Twitter / Insta vid responding to them, giving well thought out and accessible recipe ideas. This would be pre-filmed and uploaded daily.

This way, she’d have been getting valuable video experience (without the pressure of it being live) while carving out a niche for herself that few other food personalities were filling.

She could have still done the #LockdownLarder hashtag, but it would have been so much more cohesive and useful - both for her followers and for her brand.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Super noodle sandwiches with dairylea triangles? Cabal I love you but I’m starting to see why some of you followed Jack for a fair while 🤮🤮

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 67
The chard has self sown across her meadow-like garden. I'm inclined to think it's actually dandelion leaves, or fox glove, but leafs is leafs
Which would she prefer in a salad - urinary incontinence, or heart palpitations?
With her expert gardening knowledge green is green is green. She’s probably drying the foxglove leaves on the radiator to make tea and wondering why she has palpitations!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.