Jack Monroe #16 Queen of the freezer, bathtime teaser & blue tick pleaser

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
duck's sake. You can't 'jostle' a pan. That's not what the word means. I know it's a little thing but it distracts me from the recipe, wondering: where is her editor? Is the recipe as careless as the writing? I feel the same about typos in menus. Attention to detail in every aspect counts towards the overall impression.

On the plus side, whoo boy are we going to have fun posting reviews!
She'll blame tattle for any bad reviews. I have no intention of buying this book or writing any reviews.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I also don't understand something else about that word salad. She's made making popcorn sound hugely stressful, potentially pan-destroying (though not something I've ever found a problem), and it looks like she's about to go on to say that even when you think the popcorn is done it might still send kernels flying all over your kitchen. How is that soothing on a bad day? When I was fully depressed I probably would have cried for about an hour if any of those things had happened, and beat myself up for being so useless that I can't even make popcorn properly. Why include that in a book that's supposed to be soothing in those sort of times? I did not need jeopardy in my cooking when I was already seeing it everywhere else.

I am starting to suspect that the admins think we will break it from overuse.
Depressed. Want popcorn. Buy a bag of the ready made stuff or at a push the micro stuff. There is no way I would do any dishes. It’s a thankless task at the best of times but how insurmountable does it seem when you are down.
When I’m down it’s about al I can do to make up fish fingers and chips for tea.

Reactions: 15
Depressed. Want popcorn. Buy a bag of the ready made stuff or at a push the micro stuff. There is no way I would do any dishes. It’s a thankless task at the best of times but how insurmountable does it seem when you are down.
Exactly, nothing with a mess. Basic freezer food is my max effort or pasta pesto. Why can’t she just accept most of us fo beans on toast, pasta with pesto and frozen peas is my standby! The whole small boy breakfast actually made me jittery. It reminded me I need to take my “happy pills” this morning. Just toast the roll and put some jam or honey on it? We know she keeps a kilo of butter handy at all times, so no prob there 😬

Reactions: 12
I know a 'fluffernutter' sandwich is an American thing involving peanut butter, and that marshmallow fluff you buy in a jar. Not sure I'd want to eat it however

And *spew* at putting lemon curd in fried rice. Rice pudding perhaps, but definitely not fried!

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Oh totally. I know everyone's experience of depression is different and I know that I am talking about a period of my life when I was in the midst of a full on breakdown that had been 20 years in the making, but still. I managed to make my child food, and it was the bare minimum that I could manage, things that could be shoved in the oven and taken out 20mins later, so I didn't have to smell it cooking or stand over it. I'd eat toast or cereal. And sometimes I'd order a takeaway, as long as it could be done on Just Eat, and by the time it turned up, I was often too fraught at the thought of it to eat it and my part of it would go into the fridge until I could deal with it the next day. I'd go to supermarkets to try and buy food and end up just standing in an aisle, feeling entirely overwhelmed, let alone shopping with an actual recipe in mind. I once had to ring a friend who had to guide me round the supermarket and out of the door. And I know, I know this is at the extreme end of things, but I'm sure plenty of people have similar stories. This book is SO far removed from my experience. I just don't get who it's going to help.

These days, if I have a bad day (and I am not talking anything as bad as I was) I retreat into my well-worn pattern of things I've cooked for 20+ years, or dig something out of the freezer. Stuff that I can do without thinking about, because I know I need to eat properly, but I need to manage what energy I assign to that process. It's not a time to pick up a new book and try and work out a new recipe, however simple it is.

I just don't get who this is aimed at.

Exactly, nothing with a mess. Basic freezer food is my max effort or pasta pesto. Why can’t she just accept most of us fo beans on toast, pasta with pesto and frozen peas is my standby! The whole small boy breakfast actually made me jittery. It reminded me I need to take my “happy pills” this morning. Just toast the roll and put some jam or honey on it? We know she keeps a kilo of butter handy at all times, so no prob there 😬
Yes. The mess thing is so crucial. Even a dirty saucepan felt too much some days.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Me too, totally unnecessary adjectives. Trying to be dramatic and sounding like a Mills & Boon! You can tell she really rates herself as a writer 😳
Rates herself as a writer, cook, model, firefighter, Dr, TV presenter, journalist , campaigner.

Just my opinion M’lud.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Every bleeping recipe has a dreadful, flowery prologue and a load of bullshit about how she (thinks she) invented it. Her editor should be sacked.

Reactions: 16
She'll blame tattle for any bad reviews. I have no intention of buying this book or writing any reviews.
Totally agree with you, this happened with Brummy Mummy’s book of poetry, if you don’t know what that is then stay in the dark, she claimed to all her fans that the negative reviews were all tattle trolls.
They clearly weren’t from Tattle but she sent all her fans over to Amazon to give her 5* reviews!

• Haha
  • Wow
I bake a lot more when I'm depressed. It's not even so much that I have a bigger appetite when I'm really bad either, but it's almost like trying to create something which will make me feel again, if that makes sense. Lots more beige food too.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Totally agree with you, this happened with Brummy mummies book of poetry, if you don’t know what that is then stay in the dark, she claimed to all her fans that the negative reviews were all tattle trolls.
They clearly weren’t from Tattle but she sent all her fans over to Amazon to give her 5* reviews!
When we were discussing the bad reviews yesterday I was half expecting a twitter meltdown about us leaving them all, as if we could time travel back to early 2019 and make a verified purchase.

None of us will be leaving reviews cos none of us are buying it so it’s not a review of the product is it! We’ll analyse our snippets here thank you very much x

“and babe - same”

who the duck is she?
I’ve never been babed by the Land Rover class before 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Someone bring me to speed!? Last time I checked in she had camped in her urban jungle garden with a she wee and a disgusting so called ‘toddy’

• Haha
Reactions: 14
So, she had extra veg in to be able to include some in his packed lunch, but only had a pile of sugar for his breakfast? Okay then.
And she thought that was a good idea to knock that up at 8am on a school day when she’s been up all night painstakingly writing her book and he’s in his pj’s and probably has to be in school by 9am.

sure, sounds like responsible parenting to me.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Once.. ONCE I forgot to get food in for breakfast. Still not sure what happened, but just one of those things where everything had run out and the shop wasn't coming until that evening. I could have looked for a bag of sugar and sprinkled it on an old dry bap, but why would I send my child to school as high as a kite and starving an hour later?
We ended up having a Sainso cafe fry up- she was 4 at the time, and demolished it all. She still talks about it now age 6 as being the "best day of my life" 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 50
Someone bring me to speed!? Last time I checked in she had camped in her urban jungle garden with a she wee and a disgusting so called ‘toddy’
Where have you been?

You have missed;
Lugging paint to the shed.
Decorating said shed and tweeting about her new show.
Shaving her hair.
Dying a rats tail strand of hair that she left.
Taking messiah style photos of new hair.
Taking photos in the bath.
Taking photos in her bra.
Fridge breaking.
Begging for Smeg fridge.
Lightly Releasing new book.
Making a ton of mashed potatoes and comparing it to proper chef.
A bit more sobbing, ranting, enlightening and deleting.

Think that’s it? Am sure I have missed something.

Edited to add, we still haven’t seen new shed nor is lockdown larder happening now JO is off the screen!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Ughhh, that fluffernut bollocks. Why the bloody hell does she have to preface every single thing with her fake ‘I’m such a workhorse’ shtick?? Literally nobody works all through the night until 5am, as a matter of habit. People have insomnia, people have night shifts, and people work in the day. Nobody works allllll day and allllll night, forgetting along the way that they have a kid to get to school. This whole last egg thing, why is everything the last, a scrap, an end, or cobbled together? If she had nothing to put on French toast, but had a roll, an egg, and some form of veg, why wouldn’t she just toast the roll and scramble the one egg with a bit of milk and butter? Or make the French toast and just pour some honey over it? The reasoning behind the recipe just doesn’t add up! Why would you send your kid to school on a marshmallow breakfast, when you’re pretending to be writing your ‘depressipies’ 🤦‍♀️ Based on their nutritional content? Regarding that nutrition angle, did she actually consult a professional for that side of things??

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.