Jack Monroe #154 The book has furloughed itself

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She also had a chaos the day before with the splinter (later became a thorn) which resulted in the partial loss of use of her right hand, and then she injured her foot on broken glass (again).
You could go on mastermind, subject the forensic study of jackmonroe's ailments/accidents
loving your work

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
The last couple of times she had office-based jobs they were a disaster. Fire service ended with her getting the union involved. She got a plum job at the Southend Echo and left after five minutes...

Any job that would hire her would be totally beneath her nowadays. And probably not earn enough to pay her RENT.
What happened to her job at the Southend Echo?

Reactions: 20
I agree, it is just too simplistic a metaphor. I would be one of those who could be described as a spoonie, but really dislike the term. I have created my own strategies to deal with issues of limited energy levels. These are only relevant to me, as other peoples experiences differ. I know these simple visualisations work for some people, for me they are twee and do little to explain the true effects and consequences of having no strength or stamina.
hard agree, but I do find it a useful metaphor at work, when trying to get 100 yr olds to accept a little more help. Though to be fair if they have made it to 100 you can usually just say if we help you put your support stockings on you won't be knackered when your daughter FaceTimes you and fall asleep half way through.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
Spoonies are people who don’t have much energy like ppl with ME or long covid
It based on an explanation called the spoon theory which is a bit overlong and twee in my opinion but it works 🤷🏼‍♀️
Edit- am sure Jack was going to do spoonie recipes atone point
<waves spoon> fellow spoonie here

• Heart
Reactions: 20
And as like as not, will be savvy enough to be claiming every benefit they are entitled to. Not that they shouldn't claim what they are allowed, but it is those that do not know the system that are in most need of the "coffee". These "buy me a coffee" tip jars are just not transparent. How do you know if the recipient has already had substantial contributions that day/week or not?

Many, many people lose out on benefits for all sorts of reasons, they are unable to read, English not their first language, no access to internet, unaware of their entitlement, no fixed address, embarrassment in claiming etc etc. It is these people that need the "coffee" most. If you have any spare cash, instead of gifting someone on the internet a "coffee", perhaps it would be fairer to donate to a local foodbank. At least you know it will go to someone who really does need the help.
when I worked for adult services ( don't google)for the local council we employed 2 advisors to help the elderly clients we worked with claim benefits, over 4 years several millions reclaimed. Millions in the youngest city in europe( 🔺). One that stuck with me was an elderly couple were their joint pension had been recorded as his alone and they were owed thousands because the initial assessment had been done using a family member as translator who didn't understand the system . It only got sorted due to having someone on my team who spoke Punjabi asking why they were paying so much for his homecare compared with other clients

• Heart
Reactions: 43
The tiny ones they use in goat yoga seem quite cheery.

Amateurs, I have cats to help - you get free acupuncture into the bargain.

I couldn’t work with her and I deal with 26 4/5 year olds ( well I will be from 8th March) on a daily basis. I’d end up burying her under the sand pit.
Not if the weird storage area above the stage where you find old tins of paint, shuttlecocks and teenagers looking for somewhere to skin up is free first...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
Amateurs, I have cats to help - you get free acupuncture into the bargain.

Not if the weird storage area above the stage where old tins of paint, shuttlecocks and teenagers looking for somewhere to skin up is free first...
Bet the cats don’t crap everywhere either

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Ms Sodha is extremely connected, has an eating disorder and rips off recipes because she has no ideas of her own because she isn't a vegan.
How is Meera well connected? I really like her books but I did suspect something like that as she doesn't have a chef background. #nosy

Reactions: 21
If Cack tries tae make the blaa related to her "irishness" i swear tae god i'll implode.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
🔺️🔺️🔺️ Also the case circa 2015 with my awful office manager. She'd been shunted around departments for two decades...
I remember a guy at Marconi who was promoted to head a new department - of one person, himself.

If a melt doggedly looks up items on the John Lewis website internet in the hope to find them before anyone else and refreshes twitter endlessly in a vain desire that a recipe for some shite granola will be posted then yes, I am a melt.
28k viggle has a recent recipe for granola - much more trustworthy!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Off topic but “Disgruntled Goat” seems like a tautology to me. Have you ever seen one that’s anything other than mildly disgruntled as a minimum?
we have bilingual goats in Snowdonia 🔺who have been known to confuse walkers with their calls sounding like injured persons.don't tell Jack or she'll pretend she's of the Capra genus

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 46
Her bone idleness got to me this week. You know when a real life situation makes you sit up and think about what a lazy, entitled, untalented person she is - she just got lucky once and is riding the wave.

My beautiful friend is head of care of the elderly at a NHS hospital but is in a role that gives her time to manage the staff and time on the ward, since covid she has had two weeks annual leave. She is working 60/70 hour weeks and is on call. Her and her husband are independently wealthy as she inherited a house and he was a successful DJ in the 90s (this year he has raised £££ for the music industry doing on line gigs etc, and not pocketed a penny). This week she called me and was on her knees with the workload, the hours, the worry, the lack of staff, having to staff the ward last minute as someone hadn't turned up. Her husband had suggested that she hand in her notice as they dont need her wage and she was so torn and upset as she knows she is the best person right now to deliver this service but its breaking her. Patients are dying and she is doing her best to look after them and their families with dignity and respect. She is bleeping wonderful and is refusing to give up as money is not her motivation, she just knows its the right thing to do to make sure our older population are well cared for medically, clinically and emotionally.

I live in hope that Jack reads this. I hope you know there is no comparison to you and people who work hard because they are essentially, good people.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 103
maybe she's gone quiet cos she's actually writing the book!? 😲

or was kidnapped by the pharmacist?
or is kicking shins on a train somewhere?

20201016_185523.jpg

I hear you ask? jack knows, that's who and she's got an obligation to tell us what she's been up to!

(obv, this is purely in jest, mlud. I'm just bored)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
I get that there probably is a distinction between "author" and "writer".

But it's scraping the bottom of the barrel when you have to include both in your bio, because you don't have anything else to say.

1614108314780.png

I know that's not the most offensive thing in the above!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
I get that there probably is a distinction between "author" and "writer".

But it's scraping the bottom of the barrel when you have to include both in your bio, because you don't have anything else to say.

View attachment 452118

I know that's not the most offensive thing in the above!
Confession.

I don’t know what “bylines in surprising places” means and at this point I’m too afraid to ask

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
maybe she's gone quiet cos she's actually writing the book!? 😲

or was kidnapped by the pharmacist?
or is kicking shins on a train somewhere?

View attachment 452107

I hear you ask? jack knows, that's who and she's got an obligation to tell us what she's been up to!

(obv, this is purely in jest, mlud. I'm just bored)
Or part of her face has fallen off due to plague. *Don't look at me like that*. It could happen.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.