Jack Monroe #149 How dare you defile our oats?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought Jack with all her media-buddies and having been on red sofas so much would know that cats are just shite employees*? That's why they're not in any tv series or films, because they are so hard to train. Surely she would have heard that, being such an insider in the media landscape?

*I love my cat, but apart from being cute and hilarious she contriutes nothing to our household (I knew what I signed up for, no worries)

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Any other autistic fraus think that the bridges thing might be, like with the tanks, part of the fake autism?

Just hazarding a guess based on my own uniquely boring special interests...
Autistic Frau here - thought this when she suddenly started up about it the other day - mentioned for a little bit then it’ll never be spoken of again. Felt very off kilter.

I drive myself and probably Mr WT nuts with my special interests - and it often spills over onto my social media a lot. And mine are all uniquely boring too 😂😂 I just can’t believe anything she says or does. All of it feels like a performance!

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Products which are vegan often only say they are vegetarian. There is no requirement to state foods are vegan.

Reactions: 27
I just hate the way she describes things. The dried 'sneaky greens' are so infantilising (next to dried up salad being a category of 'wtf' in itself).

I can see that parents sometimes have a hard time making kids eat their veggies an that you'd try all sorts to make them eat. But I don't think using that kind of language (sneaking, smuggling, tricking etc) around healthy food is that great tbh. Kids pick up on so much of the language you use ('little pots have big ears' is a saying in Dutch), so they'll hear that as well.

(Or perhaps I have been lucky with my very no-nonsense parents who didn't really make food problematic or a thing to mitigate life' problems life with. I can't remember it being used as a reward or emotional crutch either. Nice food was appreciated as nice food, not 'nice food because we had a bad week/ deserve it for being good in school'. I remember being so surprised a flatmate earnestly suggested B&J ice cream to cope with a break up, rather than referring to that popcultural stereotype as a joke. So maybe I am thinking of this as something too simplistic)

Last edited:
Reactions: 34
SB won’t eat the food because it is revolting, nothing to do with liking vegetables. He must eat normal food at his dad’s and at school and when they lived with Allegra. Nobody needs died up sales snuck into their food (agree with all the people saying that dried lettuce will have no nutritional value too).

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
Fruit cocktail didn't used to be vegan or vegetarian because Maraschino cherries often contained food colour e120, aka cochineal/carmine, beetle's blood.

Pleased to see that at least Mel Donte has got a vegan one! I think it is vegan; irritatingly, a lot of products will still only say vegetarian.

• Wow
I'm not vegan, but the Del Monte website only says vegetarian. There must be an animal byproduct somewhere.
What @Whaa? said. I dont want to jump down your throat or anything, just explain, because this is a common misconception with non-vegans and it makes veganism sound really complicated and difficult.

There are many foods that are vegan that are not labelled as vegan or vegetarian (tins of tomatoes often aren't labelled, neither are loose fruit or veg).

There are processed foods (and I include foods like pasta here, which are not ultra processed crap but normal staples) which have the 'may contain dairy, etc' label. This label is there for people with allergies. Most vegans don't care. Because being vegan is not about being 'pure' but about not harming animals. If I buy a product which is produced in the same factory as animal products, I'm not supporting animal agriculture.

There are no vegan foods if you apply the 'purity' model. Insects die in the process of harvesting plants, so do rodents and other small animals. The truck delivering my food may contain leather or animal derived glue. These are things vegans can't control. What we can control is how we live, eat and spend our money. We do not spend our money on things that directly exploit animals. We can campaign for change in plant farming practices. We can encourage or fund the development of materials and products that are animal free, sustainable and ethical.

For any newbie vegans, if you are out food shopping and a product doesn't have the vegan label, check the ingredients. Google the e numbers and additives and apply your best judgement.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
Good morning! I have my jab next week, I want to get all dressed up for it, biggest occasion I've had all year!
I got really upset the other day. Saw they'd soon be moving to group 6 and then 5 minutes later saw they'd ditched whole segments of people out of it which means it'll be many more months of not seeing anyone. As an asthmatic on a steriod inhaler, I'm no longer eligible for priority access in group 6 and people with ME and learning disabilities have also been ditched. I'm schrodingers vulnerable apparently - not at risk and at risk at the same time. The asthma community at large is raging about it.

In JM talk, her latest Instagram post looks like one of the grossest things she's ever made and that's saying something.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Yes, shopping can be complicated and I am not up on e numbers. Also whether vit D added to products is vegan. I usually scan the labelling as egg and dairy products are highlighted as they are allergens.

Reactions: 14
I’m getting my jab today. I’m totally phobic about needles, it’s much much more than a fear. I’m already feeling sweaty and a bit queasy and worried that I’ll faint. But I still can’t wait to get it done.
When you're getting booked in, please consider letting them know that you may faint. We have couches/reclining chairs as well as normal chairs, and it's much safer to know beforehand and do the vaccination with you already reclined. Also second the EMLA cream suggestion!

• Heart
Reactions: 31
What's the latest on her knitted grey blanket btw? Finished so she can have her devilled eggs underneath while her ovaries spin out of control?

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Oh my dear, you’ll love this

Did she propose, and give herself a ring at the same time?
I thought that too. Maybe her 'box of engagement rings' is half her own rings? If that's true then assuming she's been engaged 4(?) times, that's 8 rings in the box. Obviously they might have sentimental value but they also probably have a lot of actual value

And never forget her ovaries groaning when she sucked anchovy butter from her finger.
It’s always anchovies. View attachment 435451
Hold on a sec, that’s really quite disrespectful to Elvis! “I want to die like you but because I’m eating some fish paste monstrosity from a blender, I won’t be on the lav so I will have the last laugh and be more dignified”

• Sick
Reactions: 28
So Jack has given up writing about food in sexual terms.

Is this a New Year's resolution then? From November:

I had read about them with fascination in various novels, usually set in the American South or housewifely suburbs, passed around as canapes at fictitious afternoon parties by women who lived the kind of lives I could scarcely imagine, peppered with scandal and boredom, kitten heels and daytime martinis. Devilled eggs represented, to me, something otherworldly, something aspirational, something bordering on the celestially obscene.
Should you need any further convincing, I made these three times in the same single week, once at 1am, carrying a plate of half a dozen stil-warm heaped-high halves to bed to devour beneath my duvet with my fingers

Oh no, as I was digging out this horror I saw she's just posted a new Valentine's Del Monte recipe. Because nothing says "I love you" like tinned fruit cocktail.
I know whenever I see devilled eggs I don't think "ooh fancy, it's like im at a 1950's house party" (in a nice way), I think "ah, how celestially obscene"

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Did you know that Almonds, avocados, kiwi, butternut squash, figs and melon are not vegan?

Maybe it’s the melon .

Products which are vegan often only say they are vegetarian. There is no requirement to state foods are vegan.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
When you're getting booked in, please consider letting them know that you may faint. We have couches/reclining chairs as well as normal chairs, and it's much safer to know beforehand and do the vaccination with you already reclined. Also second the EMLA cream suggestion!
I will do this, thank space you

Reactions: 17
I love that you're prepped for the phobics - I am also one 🔺️ and remember having to lie on the floor for vaccinations at school. Not fun when they did it in front of the queue of other students waiting for their BCG!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Did you know that Almonds, avocados, kiwi, butternut squash, and melon are not vegan?

Maybe it’s the melon .
I know that opinion amongst vegans is divided about whether some food items are vegan or not. And I have seen it lead to impassioned declarations on line about who is and isnt vegan. It isn't a debate I want to have. I do think its unlikely that Del Monte decided not to label its fruit salad as vegan for this reason.

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.