Jack Monroe #140 This is not what Linda would have wanted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh sorry they're the right way up in my phone and i don't know how how to change them

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Here’s the ingredients for Jack’s recipe for ricotta from Veganish, there’s one from a book written in 2005 underneath without comment. View attachment 402120View attachment 402121
"Mush the tofu up with your hands". Well that doesn't inspire me to want to make it, for a start.

ETA, my cake is out of the oven and looks so good, thankfully nothing like Jack's tinned peach traybake. Though to be fair that doesn't sound too bad, it just looked awful when she made it.

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
That’s a minimum of £6.50 vegan cheese!!!
I'm behind, but yes, vegan cheese is very expensive (probably because it's still a very niche product compared to dairy cheese).

It is heavily processed - and yes, so is dairy cheese, so I can't abide omnis going on and on about how bad processed food is for you, but I also can't condone any vegan (90% or otherwise) pretending that Violife is somehow a health food. It clearly isn't.

Anyway, once again, she's fucked me right off.

• Heart
Reactions: 54
What I'm loving most about the Viggle Uprising of 2021 is that they do all seem to be genuine accounts and not trolls. Who would have thought it was the vegans that would lead the revolt?
Sorry to be an arse and quote myself, but I forgot to put my thread title nom in and left it too late to edit...

#threadtitle nomination 'The Viggle Uprising of 2021'

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I've just had a flashback to early lockdown and my sister sending me a JM recipe for sweet & sour cannellini beans and I actually made them (Tin Can Cook book apparently) - it might have been the recipe that accompanied the Marina O'Loughlin article in a newspaper.

What I also remember is having to text my sister about the method because it didn't make sense, there was a step that wasn't clear and I'd call myself a very proficient cook - only really follow recipes for baking because that's a science. At no point after draining the beans did JM state 'return the beans to the pan', so I'd set them aside waiting until they appeared again in the recipe.

The results were ok, however (and here's where Jackie fails so often), the next time I made them:
  • I didn't bother re-boiling the already cooked beans
  • I more than doubled the quantity of onions
  • I added a bayleaf
  • I used that lovely yellow rapeseed oil because the olive oil was too strong in flavour
  • I also didn't leave them to mature for 7 days because it added nothing to the flavour other than making it less fresh tasting.
  • OMG - I also took my eyes off the pan of hot oil too, even with my menopausal forgetfulness, because I'm a responsible adult.
But in JM's opinion, no doubt I'd still have used her recipe despite changing ingredients/processes.

Screenshot_20210125_170712_com.whatsapp.jpg
Screenshot_20210125_170721_com.whatsapp.jpg
Screenshot_20210125_170845.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 40
They are not going quietly

And still no comment, no acknowledgement, no apology or assurances. No explanation as to why you thought Jack Monroe had any right to represent Veganuary or give vegan tips when she is not vegan, not a meat reducer or doing Veganuary. No reply to my message (it's not even been read 🙄). Whatever is going on behind the scenes at Linda McCartney HQ? You are making this dire situation worse. It gives me no pleasure as a loyal customer since the early 90s to say that I won't be buying your products any more, I feel so let down and I know so many others do to.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
Hi gang,

I spotted a top tip recently and I've decanted 6 tubs of mixed herbs into an empty milk bottle. I now have 6 empty herb tubs, has anyone got any ideas on what to do with them?
These are ideal for storing small amounts of leftover milk! Thankyou.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
i have been lurking here for literal months and have never felt as compelled to make my first post as i do now. how can someone who writes BOOKS ABOUT FOOD just come out and say that ALL HERBS ARE INTERCHANGABLE?! after 140 threads, herb-gate has broken me.
It was the FSM with RSM that pushed me over t'edge

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Hi gang,

I spotted a top tip recently and I've decanted 6 tubs of mixed herbs into an empty milk bottle. I now have 6 empty herb tubs, has anyone got any ideas on what to do with them?
You could use them for storing six different types of dried herbs and, that way, you won't end up with everything tasting the same.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Pretend Vegan Jack makes me murderous. She never mentions vegan alternatives and suddenly she's completed plant milk and vegan cheese? How convenient now the rage of a hundred Instagram Vegans is closing in on her. Personally I have never had three different cheeses on the go at the same time but maybe that's a special level of veganism I haven't reached yet. Also it's been nearly six years since I last ate dairy cheese and I'll tell you this for free - differentiating between dairy and vegan cheese would not be difficult, even having had actual COVID.

Anyway, here's another salt-based bathing TS Top Tip: use garlic salt. Its benefits are multifarious and include making you repellent to vampires and creating a large volume of a nice stock to use in your cooking.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
So she will send a free book to someone with a blue tick. Someone that can presumably afford to buy her book.

Why? (I don't need an answer, I know why really)
Surely her Patreon supporters must be rolling their eyes at this, as they sit there waiting months for their promised items.

• Sad
Reactions: 33
Use them as bath bombs?
Ok don’t @ me but this is actually a good idea...bear with me!
I like an oat bath but wrapping them in muslin leaves a squishy porridge in the cloth at the end. I could put the oats into a clean herb pot with muslin at the end. That would allow the oat s to infuse the water but be easy to empty after!
I like the empty herb pots, I use one for sugar. It makes it easy for putting loads of it on porridge or cereal.

I could just eat the bath oats as porridge after they’d been warmed up in the bath water.....
Screw you lot, I’m off to publish a book of wanky tips

• Haha
Reactions: 45
They are not going quietly

And still no comment, no acknowledgement, no apology or assurances. No explanation as to why you thought Jack Monroe had any right to represent Veganuary or give vegan tips when she is not vegan, not a meat reducer or doing Veganuary. No reply to my message (it's not even been read 🙄). Whatever is going on behind the scenes at Linda McCartney HQ? You are making this dire situation worse. It gives me no pleasure as a loyal customer since the early 90s to say that I won't be buying your products any more, I feel so let down and I know so many others do to.
I am actually really surprised LMC still have comments on at all, and also don’t appear to have deleted any of them. They might not have (yet) spoken out other than in the form message people have gotten but I think it says a lot about what their opinion of Jack must be at this point that they’re “letting” it happen in their comments.

And the viggles are absolutely not going to let it rest. I wonder if there will be a comment from LMC, maybe after veganuary...

Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.